1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #12 - Theme and general discussion

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by M0rbid, Jan 21, 2011.

?

What do you want to be the theme for the terraining contest # 12 ?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2011.
  1. Racial Settlement

27.3%
  2. Warcraft Lore

9.1%
  3. Horror/Nightmare

50.0%
  4. Otherworldy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Close to death

13.6%
  6. Evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Even though it looks like number 11 is still taking a while, I would like to start a discussion about the theme of the next contest already, so we have the time to get to a very good and pleasing aswell as well thought next theme.
    THerefore I would like everyone that is interester and/or has a good idea for a theme to post it. The post should not only include the theme name, but also a short description in it, one sentence is enough, but you can also add more so everyone can get an idea of the theme.

Keep your ideas coming.

Other aspects of the terraining contests like rules and stuff can be discussed here aswell ;)

2. chilla_killa

chilla_killa

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ancient Ruins / Tombs.

The contestant has to make a terrain showing an ancient ruin or tomb, whatever you like.
    But you have to see that it's really ruined and maybe overgrown by the nature in the time of many years.
    Could also be the inside of a Ruin / Dungeon / Tomb / Pyramide.
    With dark spooky atmosphere full of dirt, dust, ruined pillars etc.

You know what I mean.

3. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Example
    [​IMG]

My idea would be contraptions. You have to create something machnical/technological or something like that.

Second idea would be Overpopulated Cities. You have to create some kind of urban terrains with lots of people and structures...

4. Vunjo

Vunjo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hell, cause everyone got his own opinion how it looks like, so it would be funny to see everyone's imagination :D

5. Chaos.

Chaos.

Resources:
    Resources:
    In my opinion TC11 was so successful (in terms of numbers) because it had a theme that anyone could achieve. Anyone can throw in some units with out too much thought in what they need to be doing, and submit it. The two that follow (taken from the last poll) imo would also be so simple too create. A contestant looking to join his first contest can easily spam orc buildings on a map and call it orgrimmar or an orc settlement. Alot of beginners have trouble envisioning a completed terrain and instead just start placing doodads. These two themes would allow them to just start working away with out needing to think of a core idea like you would have to do in themes like steampunk or constructions.

Racial Settlement -A settlement has to be created, that could represent a specific race or organization.
    Warcraft Lore - The contestant has to recreate a terrain of the Warcraft Lore in a nice terraining manner.

6. AyeKantSpel

AyeKantSpel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sky fortress maybe? I guess to put a bit more width to it, some kind of floating structure, similar to Dalaran in WoW.

7. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here's a list of ideas on what you could do! I got these ideas from myself and other users too. :D
    • Wonderland
    • Underwater
    • Natural Environments
    • Apocalypse
    • Sanctuary
    • Candy-land
    • Creepy/Eerie
    • Sci-Fi
    • Universal
    • Racial Settlement
    • Emerald Dream
    • Nightmare
    • Castle
    • Sand Dunes
    • Nether-realm

You don't have to like them, they are just ideas. :)

8. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I support that highly.

Though, the ideas from Skycraft are also very likeable ;)

9. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I would prefer you would name a few less and therefore be a bit more detailed on what you imagine with the theme.

10. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Alrighty! I'll re-evaluate my ideas and give more description to my imagination. :)

11. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, I know one that won't be hard to make and it's still has a full spectre of ideas to use.
    Plus it's kinda related to current stroywriting contest: Horror/Nightmare.

You need to make something nightmareish, terrible and spooky. A haunted mansion, zombie cementery, monster filled swamp - anything you like!

So what do you think about it?

12. The_Olorin

The_Olorin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like it, eventhough it may be hard theme to follow, but there may be some very good pictures, if it will come.

13. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    hmmm what about Nature´s Revenge? A theme which allows somone to create a terrain which shows a disaster caused by nature which could be an Earthquake or Sunami or whatever.

14. L2love

L2love

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's kinda like cataclysm though.

15. Azurot

Azurot

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd go with Racial settlement like Chaos. stated earlier. It's a simple theme that can have quite a lot of elegance put into it as well. It's so open as well, you can make many unique ideas as Orcs, for example.
    I think that's the best idea yet, as it's really very open for interpretation, yet makes to so you can't go and make anything you want without thinking about the theme at hand.

Either that, or the nightmare theme, even if it can limit creativity a tad.

16. AyeKantSpel

AyeKantSpel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Racial Settlement would be interesting, espiecially to see what comes out, is it just a simple group of humans settling the lands? Or a military outpost? Maybe it's not even humans!

17. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh no! It's a brainstorm! Run!

Ideas:

Prison:
    I don't know why but some of my favorite scenes in fantasy movies have been those showing the prison of the villain (I mean, come on, 99% of the time, the villain is imprisoned in some way at the beginning of the movie.) The goal of this theme would be to construct the most epic and inventive prison you can possibly think of.

Horror:
    The idea for this theme would be to either have the terrain create a sense of fear and suspense, by having it be clear that something scary is about to happen, or create a sense of shock and terror by simply having the scary thing happening in the picture. The better the sense of horror we get, the better the terrain.

Gothic:
    Darkness, decay, ruin, heightened emotion, fantastic or supernatural events, all the ideas embodied by Romantic Gothicism are the goal to be achieved under this theme. Basically, the idea is to create something which embodies the ideals of Gothic Fiction, infusing elements of horror, romance, and medieval fantasy to create something that can only be described by that one word: Gothic.

Otherworldly:
    The idea behind this theme would be to create a terrain of a place in a world not our own, something truly strange and new. Essentially, the goal of this contest is to create a terrain which is as different from Earth as possible while still retaining enough realism to be believable.

Extreme Weather:
    Hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, all of these and more are available to you under this theme. The idea behind this would be to show a catastrophic event of extreme weather as it takes place.

There are a few ideas for you to consider.

18. AyeKantSpel

AyeKantSpel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Extreme weather like snow in the middle of the day in a desert?

19. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
  20. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd have to vote for Racial Settlements, as I did for the last contest.
    However, Gothic could make for an interesting twist of surrealism, which I really favor.

I should stress that I don't want a theme even remotely similar to the current one.