1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #12 - Theme and general discussion

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by M0rbid, Jan 21, 2011.

?

What do you want to be the theme for the terraining contest # 12 ?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2011.
  1. Racial Settlement

27.3%
  2. Warcraft Lore

9.1%
  3. Horror/Nightmare

50.0%
  4. Otherworldy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Close to death

13.6%
  6. Evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I agree on that part about our last theme.

However I like how CoBrA b thought of his theme suggestions. Somewho I see a few of those reminding the last contests maybe a bit toooo much. Otherwordly and maybe also Gothic (not that much though) seem to beconnected to surrealism, while the weather thingy is quite close to Cataclysm somehow.

What do you think?

2. Vunjo

Vunjo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I personally think that Gothic is the best idea for now.

3. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well yeah, I think we should stick with something horrorish/gothical. But see, just horror is more wide theme and Gothical athomsphere is just one of ways to achieve more horrorness...
    So I say Horror, this way it's more simplier to make than Gothic while the themes are similar enough. Plus horror has more variety.

4. Vunjo

Vunjo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gothic is unique :D

5. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Erm Gothic is quite a limited and requiring good terraining skills. I don't say theme should be easy enough even for a noob, I say that some unexperienced terrainers that don't have enough self-confidence could truy joining the contest.

6. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Heh, I was going to make a new topic that suggests a theme, since I found it intruiging. I would suggest a theme "Close to Death", which basically has to do with shots that capture events, which shows presons that are apart from death only by a matter of a second.

Example:

Examples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I kinda like that idea, even though this would be very hard to represent in a terrain.
    Also I think it's kinda close to the battlefield idea somehow. But might also fit the colossus idea that was discussed already. But it has the chances of being something totally different aswell.

On another note. Pharaoh_ could you please use spoiler/hidden tags for the images?

8. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Colosus is, well, not hard to make but what about a theme anyone can make?

Oh, I also got an idea about terrains that represent some emotion, like shall we say happyness is some, well, I have no idea, tranquility ir some sea with clods and beautyful sky, anger it... a battlefield.
    Okay let's scrap this idea.

Now I vote for Horror, unless someone will come up with better one.

9. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I realized I did not yet tell about my personal idea.

So let me try to explain it. For me we had a very nice row of contests now, which were all a success. I now think of making a short break of having huge terrain contests, but therefore start a Mini-Terraining Contest like we had before the Cataclysm Contest. I really loved the idea of this contest. After that I would suggest having a contest like the Cataclysm contest in which you would have to create two images. AS theme I would suggest:
    Evolution: The contestant is up to create a terrain and show how this terrain changed during a million of years in two screenshots. (might even be more, what do you think?)

And because this would be quite a huge contest, I would suggest making a mini contest like this before the actual contest: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/mini-contest-picture-153575/

What do you guys think of this?

10. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Not sure. I'd prefer some break between contests and then having a big terraining contest... but that's just my opinion.

11. AyeKantSpel

AyeKantSpel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think having to show drastic changes in two screen shots is a great idea, it can reflect upon the creativity of the individual greatly.

12. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love it, really.
    And achieving it is not impossible, there are similar terrains uploaded here.
    Examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    I definitely support the idea of mini-contests. I loved it back when we had those. I think that they were a really good opportunity to just have some fun and do some terraining, and because people didn't take it as seriously as the big contests, it actually yielded some creative results simply because people were willing to try things they wouldn't dare to try in a normal contest. It was also a good opportunity to try more specific/creative themes than a normal contest, again because it was so much more unofficial and not meant to be taken as seriously.

14. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I have to agree with CoBra, he's right about the mni-contests...

15. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Weird, I haven't seen this. Anyway, mini contests? I was wondering why weren't there any going on. Yes, definitively mini contests between the big ones.
    For the big contest I vote for Horror and Close to Death theme.

16. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Close to death seems interesting, but by my reckoning, far too hard to achieve and still have a good result. Any "horror" theme to me limits the creativity part TOO much, this also applies to many of the other suggestions. And personally, I'd have to say that I still love my idea for the previous contest, the Racial Settlement.

In all seriousness, doing such a theme doesn't limit what has to go on in your terrain, for example, there could easily be a "near death" terrain done in the fashion of Racial Settlement, as for example having a large town of some race being invaded by a large monster or something, then you could also do a horror terrain, I'm not giving examples to such a self-speaking reason.

My point is, Racial Settlement is both very open, at the same time as it is very focused, it doesn't limit the creativity part at all, I'd say, and gives the terrainer freedom as well as restriction. For my part, Racial Settlement is the way to go.

17. The_Olorin

The_Olorin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Idea is good, but:
    Why in more than one picture, we could make the picture in this style, like this picture.
    Picture:

[​IMG]

Only that we make it about nature, city etc. So you connect each age with another.

18. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love the evolution idea! :D I want it either in the mini or the big one!

19. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I'm not sure... I mean I got of idea, like shall we say thee's some old building that stays until the present day, while everyhtinh around changes... but that's not exactly an easy objective... and not so much of creative...

20. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Erm sorry for double post, but 24 hours have passed (You can double post only when 24 hours have passed from previous post, right? Otherwise, sorry).

ao anyway, that would be someway a mix of comic and terraining contest. As example you could look at Forsty's comic that is currently a legend of the Hive, and Alagremm's comics, mostly his newest Red Reporter comic series, you can check those out in his album.