• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Ideas needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm making a 32 by 32 map that uses really small models (THis'll be interesting......)

But I was thinking..... I want there to be a sort of "High ground beats low ground" situation

Where each player wants to get strategic spots on the map...
But All I can come up with is if there was Healing springs in certain areas or something...

Is there a way to make valleys a scary situation or something to make sure that people constantly think up ways of getting the upper hand?

Level 9
Even in normal warcraft, if you are on a hill you can see who is in a valley, if you are in a hole you can't see who's on a hill. It's already a good advantage. If you base it on, for example, archers with a powerful attack and not much life, being in a valley would be damn scary! the enemy can click on your units to kill them, you can't target his minionz!

ADVERTIZING MY MAP
if you want to know how devasting could be staying in a valley, imagine Tippin Fitz attacking your units in a hole and you not being able to attack him back! If you don't know how devasting is Tippin Fitz, click below and download his adventa!

Level 12
Even in normal warcraft, if you are on a hill you can see who is in a valley, if you are in a hole you can't see who's on a hill. It's already a good advantage. If you base it on, for example, archers with a powerful attack and not much life, being in a valley would be damn scary! the enemy can click on your units to kill them, you can't target his minionz!

ADVERTIZING MY MAP
if you want to know how devasting could be staying in a valley, imagine Tippin Fitz attacking your units in a hole and you not being able to attack him back! If you don't know how devasting is Tippin Fitz, click below and download his adventa!

Good call....
I'm a bit worried though... I feel like thats not enough...
I'm thinking like Restricted movements and such....
I dunno.... I'll figure something out....

:D nice way to advertise

Last edited:
Level 9
perhaps you could set the sight radius to 0 for all units but "commanders" , so you need to bring them on a hill to have a good sight on the battlefield and shoot with artillery far enough. Also you have to protect these èlite units, then you have to get on a hill with a tough bodyguard. If the enemy wants that hill too, there will be blood everywhere up there.

Level 7
Kind of taking from above posters idea.

At the top of every large/considerable hill, create a region. When units enter it, increase their visibility radius (pretty sure you can in the Unit section in actions,). Allow archers a long range, so that they can begin shooting enemies before they even see them.

This would make sense because from a hill you can see more. This way you can attack enemies sitting around in a valley from your hill, and they won't even know where you are.

Level 7
You could make all units going down or up hills move slower than usual, because it's hard to walk up hills... Also, you forgot that archers attacking to someone uphill will miss sometimes.

Level 12
You could make all units going down or up hills move slower than usual, because it's hard to walk up hills... Also, you forgot that archers attacking to someone uphill will miss sometimes.

Yeah... that just seems a bit weird to me...

Level 24
U should make powerfull items/powerups/weapons and such in the middle of the map, but more vulnerable, for example by having it on lower ground and where people can shoot from nearly all angles.
The higher platforms should be in corners or in a + way, except middle should have lower ground as i said.
The corners could have some average items/powerups/weapons.

Level 12
U should make powerfull items/powerups/weapons and such in the middle of the map, but more vulnerable, for example by having it on lower ground and where people can shoot from nearly all angles.
The higher platforms should be in corners or in a + way, except middle should have lower ground as i said.
The corners could have some average items/powerups/weapons.

That would work,
Im not giving the map many items or healing besides ones that people have to go out of their way for though.
I could do it, but then its just a fight over the center rather then a fight for higher ground :/ or even better terrain patterns for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.