• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Terrain Deformation Free Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm working on a rather large map so I am working on making terrain deformation free versions of Shockwave, Thunder Clap, and War Stomp. I've read quite a few existing threads...

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/terrain-deformation-question-help.155300/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/how-do-you-remove-terrain-deformation-from-war-stomp.247259/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...rain-deformation-for-war-stomp-ability.51832/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/war-stomp-terrain-deformation.140880/

...and here is what I have so far please let me know if I need to make any corrections!

Shockwave -> Just make Carrion Swarm and replaced the animation with Shockwave.
Thunder Clap/War Stomp -> Fan of Knives with the stun and slow effects triggered and replaced all animations to match Thunder Clap/War Stomp.

Here is how the Trigger looks.

• Thunder Clap
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • Multiple ConditionsOr - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Thunder Clap (Custom) REAL
    • Actions
      • Set AAAAAATempPoint = ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by (0.00, 0.00))
      • Set AAAAAATempUnitGroup = (Units within 400.00 of AAAAAATempPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) True))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in AAAAAATempUnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster (Thunder Clap) for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at AAAAAATempPoint facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Sorceress - Slow (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_AAAAAATempPoint)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_AAAAAATempUnitGroup)

My questions are:
This trigger works but how can I most efficient it can be for its purpose? In 1 thread I can't find now someone suggested just making one unit and having it spam cast, is that better or would the spam cast be more taxing?

And, is the terrain deformation attached to the War Stomp and Thunder Clap animations or hardcored into the spell. Basically is it okay to just give Fan of Knives those animations and trigger in the effect stun/slow. I tried using the Neutral Hostile War Stomp but swear it still caused that little pause you feel with a terrain deformation ability where as Fan of Knives is completely smooth.

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks! It's been a while since I posted a trigger here and didn't see the button.

Also ignore the AAAAAA at the start of the variable I just do that so it's at the top of the variable list.

The 1 Dummy-Caster for all casting of one spell is pretty smooth. You only have to make sure that he has 0 sec cast point, 0 sec cast back swing, has max turn rate and he is locust. Then you move him into right Angel before casting and fine.

Let's compare the castings.

1 Dummy Caster - for all casting needs
  • Move, to gain correct Postion/Facing ( might only be needed once per cast, instead of once per affected Unit)
  • adjust LVL
  • Order casting
An caster per Affected Unit
  • Create Caster-Unit
  • (Add ability), not needed if added in Object Editor but will rise the amount of dummy Casters in Object Editor
  • adjust LVL
  • add death timer
  • order Cast
for optimizing -> only 1 Dummie Caster.

The deformation of Thunderclap und War stomp is hardcoded as the users in your links say.

BTW:
This are 2 Locations one leaked.
  • ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by (0.00, 0.00))

Last edited:
Level 3
The 1 Dummy-Caster for all casting of one spell is pretty smooth. You only have to make sure that he has 0 sec cast point, 0 sec cast back swing, has max turn rate and he is locust. Then you move him into right Angel before casting and fine.

Let's compare the castings.

1 Dummy Caster - for all casting needs
  • Move, to gain correct Postion/Facing ( might only be needed once per cast, instead of once per affected Unit)
  • adjust LVL
  • Order casting
An caster per Affected Unit
  • Create Caster-Unit
  • (Add ability), not needed if added in Object Editor but will rise the amount of dummy Casters in Object Editor
  • adjust LVL
  • add death timer
  • order Cast
for optimizing -> only 1 Dummie Caster.
[/Trigger]
Awesome thanks! I'll change that right away!

The deformation of Thunderclap und War stomp is hardcoded as the users in your links say.

BTW:
This are 2 Locations one leaked.
  • ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by (0.00, 0.00))
Didn't even notice that is it the off set that is leaking, should I use this:
  • Set AAAAAATempPoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))

I know the deformation is hardcoded to the spells -- I've already created a Fan of Knives replacement. Since im triggering in the slow/stun effects that Thunder Clap and War Stomp have all that is left is the animation.

Can I just change Fan of Knives animations to War Stomp and Thunder Clap or is the terrain deformation tied to their animations too.

Spqhr4EWvn1MJB88PJ0erehRyn4KLExpB6jDs_52CgaFe1T786JoGOgL8q2Ml4bkbxKSi6TlEd42EI5L0BWScnGzcVcWtxiduevCGiIJmUBmY-9mRgmwxKIM9-0X-LRZhfCUECD4

Is this going to terrain deform (The spell is Fan of Knives with the Stomp/Slam animation) or should I try to use some close substitute?

Last edited:
Level 8
I know the deformation is hardcoded to the spells -- I've already created a Fan of Knives replacement. Since im triggering in the slow/stun effects that Thunder Clap and War Stomp have all that is left is the animation.

Can I just change Fan of Knives animations to War Stomp and Thunder Clap or is the terrain deformation tied to their animations too.

Spqhr4EWvn1MJB88PJ0erehRyn4KLExpB6jDs_52CgaFe1T786JoGOgL8q2Ml4bkbxKSi6TlEd42EI5L0BWScnGzcVcWtxiduevCGiIJmUBmY-9mRgmwxKIM9-0X-LRZhfCUECD4

Is this going to terrain deform (The spell is Fan of Knives with the Stomp/Slam animation) or should I try to use some close substitute?

You can use the Stomp/Slam animations in place of the FoK effects there. It won't cause any terrain deformations.

Status
Not open for further replies.