• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #10 Idea Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Playable urban terrain? If surrealism is too hard, urban is something that isn't done yet and should be easier. There are plenty of models out there to make urban terrains, and imo, we shouldn't have model restrictions in contests anymore. It's such a limit.

Level 7
Playable and urban sounds cool, a great combination. Playable urban should not present that big of a challenge while being an interesting theme.

I agree to get rid of model limits, but the models used should ofc be available to everyone.

Level 19
Urban -- lotsa folks living tight together! It may, but does not necessarily have to resemble steampunk at all. It can be everything from fantasy cities, to post apocalyptic slums, to modern cities, to you name it. We do not depend on steam in most cities :D

why not Fairy tales playable type of terrain? Like damn fairy tales..

http://store.littlefolkspuzzle.com/catalog/fairyTaleCAstlenew.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...0/fairytale-fights-20080912093714446_640w.jpg
http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2009/06/FAIRYTALE_FIGHTS_SCREENSHOT7-thumb-550x309-19205.jpg
http://www.aviscine.com/images/films/21000/21049_les_schtroumpfs_the_smurfs__village_schtroumpfs.jpg
http://data-allocine.blogomaniac.fr/mdata/5/3/7/Z20060713153844953989735/img/1198875711_47392_1.jpg

this will allow us to play A LOT with the doodads, to create twisted structures, and play allot more with everything, instead of just the environmental doodads or just the ''structure doodads'' it will push us to create rivers, artistic terrains!, and to focus on the atmosphere as much as the placing of the doodads

i like fairy tail. but fairy tales should include stuff like LOTR and Harry potter.

or even better, books. Name the book you terrain, terrain specific scene. << thats what i vote for

that was the goal of it..

we can make.. dark fairy tales, creepy fairy tales, etc.

Level 11
Maybe you can create poll so we choose what will be this time!
I just want to so how well can users create terrain without custom lightning and imported models :xxd:

wasnt there already a contest with this??
maybe something like indoor/inside a building ...i think that will have alot of entries or futuristic

no offence, but that's kind of gay
i don't think very many people want to make a happy kitschy flower terrain with ponies and elves dancing around

If your too uncomfortable in your own sexuality that you think this is gay you may have some problems.

Also no one said it had to be happy go lucky fairy tales, like anything it's open to interpretation.

A blizzard terrain contest!

Honestly that seems incredibly boring. If you can make impressive things with in game doodads that's fine, but sometimes there's that one thing you need that a blizzard doodad just won't cut the job.

I guess my vote would still be for Surreal playable.

How about.. Hive members related..

you pic a hive members and you recreate where you imagine him living in..

So example =

Mr.Goblin = in a steam punk trash yard with small robots everywhere and lights etc.
Pyritie = in a land full of cupcake and fairies.
Kimberly = a surreal world with rocking monsters and dragons.
Void = a scary world whit shadows etc.
Billy the cat = a teletubies kind of world, with toys everywhere.

blablabla = that would be damn fun and can be playable and simply ''screenshot like''

So example =

Mr.Goblin = in a steam punk trash yard with small robots everywhere and lights etc.

blablabla = that would be damn fun and can be playable and simply ''screenshot like''

I like that very much!

Idk, what if the one you want to do has left or has been banned?
Also I would think the more popular moderators would be constantly nagged by people if they can terrain they're "home."

No,no. Everyone could do maybe there own name or even make a list of reasonable names and put them and people can choose what to make based on the names.

Level 15
For surrealism, I still think that it will be too hard to make playable. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I just think that it will limit the entries to the more experienced terrainers and therefore resulting in a failure due to the small amount of entries. So, to prove me wrong, can someone show me a picture of a surreal environment that could both be easily be made by a begginer in WE and could be made playable. I think that surrealism is an awesome theme and I will definately be resuggesting it for TC11 if it doesn't get chosen here. However surrealism and playable will, imo, fail.

Hive members is way too broad. We have like 60 thousand members on this site. There will be someone on the hive that will fit your terrain no matter what it may be. It would need to be a little more restricted, like adding a mimimum rep limit. That would cut down on the infinite amount of possibilities. With some restrictions, it might work. I personally like this one because it is easy to do and still has a lot of possibilities.

It's hard to satisfy everyone. Why don't we just have an open theme and get this contest started. Theme would be: Make a playable terrain. lol

With some restrictions, it might work

I just foresee their being drama over this, someone's going to have a hissy over someones interpretation or something. Also the rep limit's not a good measure as many people have rep disabled.

I'd like surreal playable, but just playable allows you to pretty much do whatever you want anyways so I'd give playable by itself my vote.

How about Hive members again..

but it has to be from a list of 10 hive members.. and you choose what ever you want to do with it.. the 10 members will be told that the terrain contest is about them.. if they agree it's cool, if they don't, we find someone else until we have 10 people.

If your too uncomfortable in your own sexuality that you think this is gay you may have some problems.

Also no one said it had to be happy go lucky fairy tales, like anything it's open to interpretation.

it has absolutely nothing to do with 'comfortability in sexuality', would childish sound better? because, to me, and probably most people, making a terrain about children stories is kind of gay. (or childish?)
the pictures shown and the whole post indicated FAIRY TALES - which are the happy go lucky stories.

So example =

sound utterly horrible to be honest. your interpretation of whatever can be so absolutely ridiculously different from anyone else's, not to mention the fact that a lot of people don't know many people that well - i couldn't make anything of the kind personally.
not to mention the question of who you would...terrain. there is a lot of people, and even if you had your 10 people, how exactly would they be picked? what would likely happen is that people make a terrain and then match a name of it and pull something completely out of their ass to match it to it.
and yes let's not forget the shitstorm this would probably cause

Last edited:
k fine let's say..

Mystic = that looks glowmy and scary but at the same time inviting.
Magic = anything related to the arcane (a mage in a lab, a mage tower, a room full of orbs, etc.)
Mystic creatures = something related to 1 mystic creature and his surrounding.
Under water = something related to a world under water. doesn't have to be ruins.
Gameboy games = something related to the good old games on the Gameboy like Super mario, Zelda, Wario, etc.
Funny = make something funny, yet beautyfull it's still a terraining competition.
Element related = (Wind, Fire, earth, water, Light, Shadow)
Corruption = anything, could be undeads, virus, etc.
Happy day = represent a happy day.
Song related = pic a song and remake what is told in that song.

surreal = meeeh D:

Element related = (Wind, Fire, earth, water, Light, Shadow)

This was already suggested in the last competition and a lot of people had a fit over the idea for some reason.

Mystic = that looks glowmy and scary but at the same time inviting.
Magic = anything related to the arcane (a mage in a lab, a mage tower, a room full of orbs, etc.)
Mystic creatures = something related to 1 mystic creature and his surrounding.

All three of these seem pretty similar, almost like they're the same idea.

Under water = something related to a world under water. doesn't have to be ruins.

Could be pretty cool.

Gameboy games = something related to the good old games on the Gameboy like Super mario, Zelda, Wario, etc.

If someone could do this in mono color with doodads that look pretty similar to actual in game ones I could see some pretty interesting terrains coming out of this.
Song related = pic a song and remake what is told in that song.

Well this sounds pretty cool - not sure how well it will work in actuality, but on paper it sounds pretty good.

So the currently popular ones:

-Playable: make a terrain that is playable in game - judging for this would be done from the in game effect instead of just a picture. Can be mixed with others.
-Surreal: pretty self explanatory
-Warfare: present a war between 2 factions
-Song: Make a terrain based on a song (taking into account things like the mood of the song, the lyrics, etc. etc.)
-Member: Make a terrain based on where you'd imagine someone else on the site to live.
-Urban: present a crowded urban cityscape.
-Fairy Tale? - this one got some popularity, but it all seemed slightly cautious.

I also think the gameboy theme is pretty interesting.

Level 15
Well let me try to convince you guys of something. Although some of those themes might work, I think that it would be cool to have playable this time and save those themes for the future terraining contests. Like I said in the first post, since TC5 was playable we would be starting a new tradition by making TC10 playable aswell (4 art, 1 playable). So can we please make TC10 playable? We could make one of the future contests playable, but it would be much more interesting to do it this time. Also it seems that most of the people posting in this thread seem to like the idea of playable. (even if it's not there first choice)

If we have to have a theme for playable then we could simply make it one of these.
Civilized - Make a terrain that shows a place that is or has been habitated by an intelligent species. (So a city, town, village, or even a rock hut that shows the obvious existance of an intelegent species)

or

Natural - Make a terrain that shows a place in it's natural state. In other words something that would show the lack of existance of an intelligent species. (For example make a rocky valley with no houses, or anything else made by humans or some other species except wild animals.)

So post one of the following examples to show whether or not you agree.

Name - Yes playable - Civilized / Natural / No theme / Different theme / Don't care
Name - Not playable - Something else

If we can get enough to say "yes" to playable then I can send a PM to Keiji and we can get TC10 started right away instead of wasting another 2 weeks with polls.

The reason that I am so hesitant when it comes to polls is because there are always the non terrainers that come in and think (for example) "I love gameboys that gets my vote." They don't take the time to think of things like what theme can be done by less experienced terrainers, what theme will get enough entries to make it a successful contest, what theme will be able to bring forth vast amount of variation between entries instead of having them all look the same (originality), etc.

However if we can't agree on playable then I will put up a poll in a day or two.

So this is my choice:
Chaos. - Yes playable - Civilized or no theme
What's your preference?

Last edited:
Level 15
The people posting here are the ones that will most likely join. The opinions of 5 actual terrainers posting here is much more trust worthy then 20 non terrainers voting randomely in a poll with out actually wanting to join. That is why I prefer to do it this way. I just want to see if it will work. If not we will go back to the time consuming polls.

Level 5
not that i think this is a good (or fair) (or even possible) idea but you could ignore votes from definate nonterrainers, just droppin a pebble in the pond :/ i'll be over there on the nuetral ground...

anywho there are some interesting ideas floatin around with imo the most interesting (not definatly my favourate) idea being a song related terrain. imagination ftw, its gonna be a good contest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.