• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #1 Poll

Terrain Contest #1: Who created the best terrain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the Terrain Mini-Contest #1 Poll!
Vote for the submission that you think is the best. Review all submissions, do not vote before doing so. Bear in mind that voting for yourself is immoral.

Judges are:
HappyTauren
Gilles
~Void~
30 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges mentioned above.

Here are the submissions.

This is my final shot. As im gonna be away for a bit more then 2 weeks now im gonna post it now so i don't forget :smile:

anyway, GL too all participants !

/MadseN

attachment.php

My final submission. The Realm of Nightmares.

Good luck to all the other contestants!
attachment.php

Whipped somethin up for this contest.
An abandoned factory-like building. :hohum:
The map file is Lgoomy. It supposed to say Gloomy.

Hope its not bad. :grin:
attachment.php

Almost forgot. Here's my map. I'm not sure if it has extra doodads, but they wouldn't have been used for that terrain.
attachment.php

Seems quite flat along the sides of the path. Add a little height to it.
If I do not get the chance...
Final Submisssion
attachment.php

:nw:
this is my last submission
attachment.php

Here it is, my final submission. Some background info on the terrains:

1. Once the undead renewed their onslaught, nothing could stand in their way. In an act of desperation, the people barricaded their homes in hopes of being avoided by the marching Scourge. While many of the barricades saved these poor souls from the claws and blades of the dead, they did not stop the ravaging plague from entering the houses. Trapped, the men and women died alone in the dark, soon to join their enemies' forces.
2. I have sailed the world and seen its wonders
from the Dardanelles, to the mountains of Peru
But there's no place like London...

3. Winter approaches as the second Scourge invasion begins and marks the end of the kingdom of Loarderon. The plague of undeath spreads rapidly across the land. Paranoid, the people try to mark the houses of those infected with red symbols. Sadly, these warnings are futile as all the houses' residents are already either dead or worse...

Map file attached accordingly.
attachment.php

Ok hear is mine map:
attachment.php

To preview post of each contestant, click the small
viewpost.gif
icon that is next to his/her name in the quote box, or click the link in "Poll" part of the page.

Last edited:
Level 1
I vote for Childeric. I liked the gloomy feeling the terrain gives you, and the red mist that permeated the area. That, and the cross on the hill was cool =x. The buildings also had a mysterious look to them.. and to me that's enough to earn my vote. Btw: Cham sucks. =p.

I guess you have to like Lost to like mine, since I quite did - and not because I thought "zmg dis r besd scween evur11" but rather because it represents something that I like, maybe :p.
This is my opinion to everyones:

MadseN: It's nice, but missing something. The clouds in front of the tower look especially weird, IMO.
Childeric: Nice enough, but you mashed up the grass really badly. The doodads do stand out more then, but I learned that having it with tiles makes it more original than with around one.
Sabertooth: Original idea, but only so-so performed. You should have worked on it more with little details.
Famouspker: I really like it, but that's because I like blue. And you used that a lot. You should have made it more at night, more gloomy.
Volvox: Not good. It's just too orderly and symmetric. You should have added in more details.
frostwhisper: It's nice - probably the best, but I think the idea's just too old. Your atmospheres quite nice, but still lacking something, like I dunno.
Oziris: Its nice and original, but lacking atmosphere and details. I quite like it though.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Hmm, just one question: why do the hidden tags contain only one of each person's screenies?

On topic, however: I cast my vote for Belgrath, due to three reasons:
1. It is original and unique.
2. I am a fan of LOST.
3. It matches the contest theme and criteria perfectly.

On a side note I'd like to say good job to all of the participants. I really liked some of the pieces that came out of this contest.

Level 11
Why is it that all of the people with a post count of less than 20 are voting for Childeric...?

To the Moderator Control Panel, awaaaaaaay!

Because I am making tons of accounts and voting for myself. lol please. I think the big shots are just confused as to why I am getting more votes. Notice how the moderators only vote for the well known names? That's not biased at all.

If you don't like competition, don't compete. Thanks.

Level 12
MadseN got my vote. Mainly because how the sky looks like. That must be the best ghost city/village I've ever seen.

Childerics terrain was very nice and is second in place for me. The red blends in with the buildings to create a nice, good-looking terrain but MadseN was just a step further away. Close, but not enough.

Sabertooth, it looks strange with the pipes that comes out of the buildings, it just doesn't fit.

Belgarath, I like how the light comes up from the jungle but thats about all I like with it.

I like the tooths in the cave entrance but they don't fit togheter with the different colored rock shunks the cave is made of.

Volvox terrain was quite nice but I find it odd that light comes out of a cave. Of course there could be candles but It is going downwards and not straight out.

frostwhisper, my third choice. I really like how the temple of the damned comes up from the forest, and the rune.

Oziris, the fog is nice but the trees seem a little... unnatural.

Well, as I said first MadseN takes this too. (Note: These are my own opinions)

Level 6
I must say that both MadseN's and Childeric's were very good. I voted for MadseN because I thought that Childeric's grass was just put to cover the ground, while Madsen's looked well placed and natural. It was a small stipulation but an important one indeed. Childeric's was extremely good though and I almost voted for you. Sorry man, but you look well off on the votes anyway :)

Level 11
I must say that both MadseN's and Childeric's were very good. I voted for MadseN because I thought that Childeric's grass was just put to cover the ground, while Madsen's looked well placed and natural. It was a small stipulation but an important one indeed. Childeric's was extremely good though and I almost voted for you. Sorry man, but you look well off on the votes anyway :)

A fair observation. Thanks for the props bro. =D

Level 36
I'd easily vote for childeric before madsen, simply because his is 10 times more original. I think both myself, madsen, and many other awesome terrainers need to account for the fact that we need new styles.
But to conclude this argument, I highly doubt my post count is under 20.
And can't you not vote in contest polls until you have been here for a week or something?

Edit: Frosty I'm voting for your terrain :p

What the HELL IS GOING ON ??????

ive joined the contest and ive posted my pic !!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU WANNA KIDDING ME??????

i dont KNOW WHATS GOING ON ??!?!?
maybe you should CUT DOWN ON CAPS LOCK !!!!!!!!!
AND EMOTICONS TOO !!!!!!! :thumbs_down:

:eek:rcfu: why i should cut down emoticons?!?!?

Because you look like a bloody retard spamming them like that. And besides, you didn't read the rules, you had to attach the map to one of your posts in the thread. Now, either write a polite reply, or don't reply at all. Also, where did you ever see a contestant added to the poll after the contest is finished, and poll started already, while he hasn't fulfilled the requirements?

Level 34
There really needs to be a some sort of limit on the voting. Like you have to have some rep or posts. There are too many unkowns voting in this contest. I personally don't like anyone with 0 posts counts as a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.