1. Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terrain 1.0

Submitted by DarkLord
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This tool can convert a heighmap (tga) into a warcraft terrain (w3e). Maby it is usefull for big maps, because it's faster then the editor. It's open source so the source code is included. (Use SFmpq and cxImagelib.)
Have fun,
.:DarkLord
Contents

Terrain 1.0 (Binary)

Reviews
ZypherXII [02-07-2008]: ~Approved~
  1. ZypherXII [02-07-2008]:

~Approved~

2. Kamikazzee

Kamikazzee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lets see here:
    Noobs comment - "What the **** does this thing do? I don't know what a heighmap is!"
    Intermediate comment - "Hmmm, this tool makes no sense to me... what does it do?"
    Pro comment - "Well this thing is so useful! It can be used so easily! 5 stars!!!"

My comment: "I don't understand this, I am an intermediate mapmaker. Add some more description so noobs and people like me will be able to understand. What is a heighmap?"

That's what I think all the people would say.
    But in my opinion, if I knew what this thing did, it'd be really good. So 3/5... for now :wink: .

3. Scorpeyon

Scorpeyon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree... this needs a better discription

4. S-Sheep[Sand]

S-Sheep[Sand]

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont understand what make this tool and i dont know what a heighmap.
    More description is needed!

5. Tower_maker

Tower_maker

Resources:
    Resources:
  6. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Hm.. ok I descripe how you use this tool. Ok, it's beta but if you know what you have to do, it's easy. :wink:
    Lets start:
    1. Just make a map with the editor.
    2. Save the map. :wink:
    3. Open Gimp/Photo shop or someting and make a new image. The height (width) must be height (width) of the map + 1 Pixel. Make the backgrund black and draw your terrain with a light-tool, as lighter as heighter (as darker as lower).
    4. Save the image to a TGA-File.
    5. Open the tool.
    6. Load the tga and the map.
    7. Press the "Convert"-Button an save the w3e-file.
    8. Open your map with WinMPQ.
    9. Delete the "war3map.w3e".
    10. Add the converted w3e-file (step 7).
    11. Rename the file to "war3map.w3e".
    12. Close WinMPQ.
    13. Open your map with the editor and place your units etc....

I'll make some examplets for you.

7. harel

harel

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Too much work and too many programs are involved in this conversion. Why do I need to find the "war3map.w3e" In winmpq?how do I know if the slopes are in the angle? I think it’s easier to create a new map then fix a pre made map.

8. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Here aren't any terrainer's that can use this tool? :?

9. kelna2

kelna2

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    this tool sounds very very useful, but it says the zip file is empty when i try to extract the files. :(

If you draw out your map you could get it exactly as you want it.

10. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Hm.. do you use Winrar? Just use google.com an search for it. :wink:

11. PitzerMike

PitzerMike

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    you should probably make your tool automatically import the new w3e into the map overwriting the old one (if you know how to use SFmpq.dll)

12. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    I have a function like this in the CMapTerrain-Class, but there is a bug and I can't find it. Have you looked at the source code? BTW. Do you code VB .Net or C++?

13. PitzerMike

PitzerMike

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    I know both languages. I might look into it if you explain what the problem is.

14. gadax

gadax

Resources:
    Resources:
    hi all this is my first message on this forum.
    I'm french, so sorry for english mistakes.
    A height map, also known as heightfield, is generally in 3D programs a way for modelling a landscape.
    It is very powerful, because you only need to paint a 2D picture with a grey scale and each grey level will be converted into a specific height by the 3D program. The lighter the color is the higher the point of the map is.
    The conversion is done here by the DarkLord tool, i think. It looks very powerful for sparing time in original map making, i will try it as soon as i can.
    :)

15. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Ok, I explain it to you PitzerMike. My tool import all file, there is no problem. If I want to open the map with the WE I get an error, "File Data currpt!" or something. But if I open the map with WinMPQ, this tool gets no error, and add/edit the map (add a txt file or something) I can open the map with the WE. I think there is a problem with the compression, but I don'f find the bug.
    And thx to gadax for his explaining.

16. PitzerMike

PitzerMike

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    There's an easy solution for this:

Make your tool delete the (attributes) file from the map and it will work. (this file is not needed anyway, it just contains a checksum)

17. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Well, it works but if I open the map with the WE there is another problem, the editor gets a error (windows-message) and close the window. :? I maybe upload the new source code, even if I finding the bug. :wink:

18. Goku-X

Goku-X

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have stressed in about 1 month now, and I finally made it! Your tool rock, man! It's so usefull. It makes straight downward cliffs, that I didn't know how to do, and now I only have to use this tool! If I use this tool to make a map terrain, I will give mass credits.

Here is the map I tested it on:
    I only used this tool to make the terrain.

[​IMG]

19. DarkLord

DarkLord

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Well, the editor can do this to, but Blizzard had include a blur-function, so you can't make this kind of cliffs. :wink: You will see what I mean if you edit your cliffs with the height-brush. :)