• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #12 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to see:

-Start date in December to take advantage of holiday time off
-Run time of two months
-Theme:

Recycle, Revise, Reinvent

Use any of your past entries or creations as a basis and improve upon it/them. The only restriction is that they be your works.

-If a contestant uses a previous entry they will have a section in their score that reflects if and how they addressed issues the previous judge(s) noted.

Why do this?

People spend a great deal of time on these entries and it is a shame they are not able to continue improving them for critical review. I feel we would see both more developed and more entries in general with this structure.

Thoughts?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Recycle, Revise, Reinvent

Use any of your past entries or creations as a basis and improve upon it/them. The only restriction is that they be your works.

Thoughts?
*Looks at hard-drive*
*Cracks knuckles*

My body is ready.

~~~

Lol, what an amazing idea. Also kinda obviously geared towards poor schmucks like me, with, like, a million (i.e. two) half-baked, half-done race WIPs.

I love it, and think we should do it every so often (if I can't convince you guys to make "mini-race" Contests the standard/default, this is a good alternative). Until then, I'll just have the hard time deciding what to finish... My kooky Alchemy Goblins, or my familial Earth Elementals?...

For me personally, I got some intense family-stuff going on that might very well preclude me working on this despite being over the holidays... But still, it's the best shot I am likely to have (especially after December & with ~two months). So yeah.

'Course, if a Hero Contest pops up, no promises. xD

Oh wait, I figured out a question important enough for the DEADLY DOUBLE POST:

If we're re-using our own old works, that's cool... But what's to stop a guy like me from seeing this notice, taking one of my works, & starting work on it now? Like, I could 'start' the Contest with an entirely completely-done custom race. Oh wait, I think you said that was a thing too?...

Last edited by a moderator:
There nothing to stop you and that's fine.

The whole point is to get people to take a second look at their work. Someone who has spent 100 hours can compete against someone who has spent 10. It's all about the level of refinement and quality of ideas.

Edit:

The contest run time is to provide an official announcement and a due date. Anybody who enters has already spent a great deal of time on their race so the concept of making sure people don't start until a certain date is a bit irrelevant. It's what makes this particular TC contest different.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
There nothing to stop you and that's fine.

The whole point is to get people to take a second look at their work. Someone who has spent 100 hours can compete against someone who has spent 10. It's all about the level of refinement and quality of ideas.

Edit:

The contest run time is to provide an official announcement and a due date. Anybody who enters has already spent a great deal of time on their race so the concept of making sure people don't start until a certain date is a bit irrelevant. It's what makes this particular TC contest different.
Ooh... Edgy.

I suppose now that I think about it, it is by it's very foundation impossible to standardize the starting point. Well how interesting is that gonna be?

... Now I'm gonna feel extra loser-ish if I still don't finish. xD x/ :< :'{

What about those people who never before entered this contest?
They can enter if they wish. Perhaps knowing they are facing developed concepts will encourage them to push their ideas.
Hmm, I didn't think about that: what if someone never submitted an entry to the Techtree contests, does that automatically bar them from entering? What if they do enter, what are they going to make? Since the theme is 'remake an old submission' and they have none to remake, kinda means they can't join.

Hmm, I didn't think about that: what if someone never submitted an entry to the Techtree contests, does that automatically bar them from entering? What if they do enter, what are they going to make? Since the theme is 'remake an old submission' and they have none to remake, kinda means they can't join.

It means they can make whatever they want - or put more clearly this is an open concept contest. There is no design theme, merely a directive to create a well thought out race.

What I meant is if the contest runs for two months,then I may have a chance to join this contest.

I think that is an appropriate run time.

What needs to happen to get this going?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yeah, I was gonna say; for all intents & purposes, this is a 3 month (2 + 'from now until start'), free-themed, use-any-amount-of-previous works Contest. I'm in no way bashing it; like I said, this is the best chance a schmuck like me has (even though it rankles every fiber of my "Contests are a fair test of skill" being xD).

But essentially, @Murlocologist, if you don't have a WIP techtree from a previous Contest... Make one. Starting now, just make whatever, and it is the same as if you had.

Crazy... But it just might work.

Level 8
This is a great idea! I'd love to see how people can refine and expand on their previous creations. :)

As for those who have never entered before, I was thinking that maybe they could select a past entry to use for this contest. It's a free-for-all anyway and would be intriguing to see what a rookie could pull off with an existing techtree. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.