• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Team Color VS Transparency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello, I am trying to add some team color on a part of the mercanary.blp texture, aka the texture used on mercenary camps.

However, my prior method of loading the alpha 1 selection and adding to it and saving it didn't work as my additional selection was alpha'd out as opposed to becoming team-colorable.

The texture features both team colored areas and areas that are alphad out in the same selection as "alpha 1". How do I make it so I add to the team color bit and not to the alpha bit?

Level 22
Hello,
This is not defined in the texture file but in the model file (material properties).
Transparency and team color are actually the same, because team color is created by putting a layer of transparent texture over a color layer (layers are defined in material properties in the model).
If you want both transparency and team color on the same model, you need two different materials and configure them differently.

But a geoset can only be bound to one material, so how should the materials be configured?

I have a problem that I think is similar to OP's thread

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Level 18
You have to edit the model and split the geoset so that only the parts you want to be transparent carry a transparent material. Like you separate the edge of a blade from the main part. You may have to make a new mesh altogether. To achieve what you have in the picture, you definitely need to make via a more detailed mesh and no transparency at all.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
But a geoset can only be bound to one material, so how should the materials be configured?

I have a problem that I think is similar to OP's thread

attachment.php
Actually, there is a way to do that. I recall someone in the model section mentioning it once; I think the model in question was an orc tower model...
A forum search did not yield the post for me, but I am 100% sure that the model had team-colored flags that used a shape with transparency AND a team colored based on the same geoset.

Level 22
Just take a look at the shield from BloodElf SpellThief in Model Editor.

You will see that it is splitted in two geosets:
- one with two layers for the teamcolored part.
- one with one transparent layer for the top edge.

As far as i know this is the only way to achieve this result.
And obviously you can do that only by having a non-teamcolored edge in order to get a seamless result.

The teamcolor layer can not have transparent parts since the teamcolor.blp does not have any alpha channel.

Just take a look at the shield from BloodElf SpellThief in Model Editor.

You will see that it is splitted in two geosets:
- one with two layers for the teamcolored part.
- one with one transparent layer for the top edge.

As far as i know this is the only way to achieve this result.
And obviously you can do that only by having a non-teamcolored edge in order to get a seamless result.

The teamcolor layer can not have transparent parts since the teamcolor.blp does not have any alpha channel.
Would making custom team color BLP files with alpha channel create a remedy for this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.