• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add details to team color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So, I've added team color to a model I'm working on by adding an alpha layer and then erasing the texture's relevant areas. But the team color that shows through is too plain and bright.

I noticed that on some Blizzard models the team color is slightly darker and even has details like ripples. . . How can I make my team color appear more like those?

Thanks.

To create team colour you have to alpha the parts of where the model has team colour on it. (for example, the faceless have TC on their shoulders. By creating alpha on the skin where the shoulders are, it will show up on the model as Team colour.) However, some textures don't allow different levels of opacity on the team colour. But if the model does allow it, then you have to use simple colours like black and white over the alpha'd areas with a low opacity to get simple effects like that. say you want a leaf on it. Then you would have to do a light outline of the leaf with a low opacity of black, and the highlight and shade it with low opacities of black and white to make it look like a leaf.
Does this answer your question?

well in the material manager, go 2 the material that has the space 4 teamcolor, make 2 (sub)materials in this material. the upper 1 using Replacable ID1 as skin and check the box Unshaded, and the lower 1 uses the model's skin (<Skin's Name>.blp), check the Two Sided box, and @ the filter mode set either Transparent or Blend (in some models it's Transparent and in others like in the Faceless one's shoulder pads it's Blend).

Status
Not open for further replies.