Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Tauer's Models 2.0

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Tauer, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Anknaton

Anknaton

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really like the idea of a new version of Doomhammer! Keep it up Tauer, you are one of my favourite modelers! Keep the awesome job lad! :D

2. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    SUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRBBBB!!!! (with Franky style from One Piece)
    *insert gif here*

4. The Warchief

The Warchief

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you for following the classic artworks! Model really nice, especially the hammer itself is a really nice improvement from the previous Doomhammer. :) Looking forward to it!

5. kangyun

kangyun

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I like ur work!
    cant w8 to see your pale orc model...
    Asspecially bladefist! I havent see anyone create him in hive yet!:D

6. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the supportive comments guys!

Sorry if I came off as rude earlier, the comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not gonna comment further as I don't wanna turn this into something it doesn't have to be. I'd much rather spend energy posting more WIPs :)

I started texturing. Progress is a bit slow, it's pretty hard to nail the gritty look of Metzen's concept art while still keeping to the WC3 artstyle:

[​IMG]

Slowly getting there. Still very much a WIP obviously.

Thanks man! I'm most likely gonna make new animations for him, seeing as I'm not very statisfied with the animations of the old Doomhammer :)

Attached Files:

• WIP9.jpg
      WIP9.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You really improved with your texturing! It's getting closer and closer to the Blizzard style, I love it. Looking forward to future updates :)

8. Traggey

Traggey

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hey Tauer! Quick little tip, this is how most of us handpainted folk texture these days, including artists from blizz, start dark.

Just cover his entire face is the darkest shade of green you're going to be using, and then slowly start building up brighter ontop of that, think of your paint as layers.

9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Bengeance per Zul'jin! :eek: Epic! So many animations!
    A few critiques on him (don't be demoralized, your model's pretty good):
    • The top of the cake would be for the scarf to be separated and animated as well
    • Might be just the model viewer, but while he's playing with his axe, its motion isn't too realistic. It moves too slowly for a weapon that heavy and considering the laws of gravity.
    • A few of his features don't look so trollish: the face looks a bit like a goblin, and the arms are short.

10. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:

Oh man, I love you! This makes the workflow so much better! No idea why I didn't do this before. Thanks a bunch!

Scarf is already animated?
    Not sure if it's the model viewer or not, but animations do tend to get a little strange when exporting. Also I linearized the animations, dunno if that might've had an effect. Didn't look too strange when I tested ingame though.
    On the features, to each his own I guess :p I guess the face is a bit goblin-like, but their facial features do have a few things in common with trolls. Arms are pretty long, though they could be longer I guess. Don't really feel like making huge changes right now though, might look into it later.

WIP:

[​IMG]

Just trying to get the main features down, then I can focus on details later. Having some issues getting the brows to look right.

Attached Files:

11. Traggey

Traggey

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Did a quick paint over of what I see as the problem areas, first off his skull shape lacks a bit of definition, his forehead needs about the same bright colours as the top of his head has and the sides need some stronger definition of the skull, the bone structure tends to be very visible around eyes, especially on orcs.
    The eyebrows look a little odd due to how you've shaded them dark ontop they appear to be sinking into his skull rather than protruding from it.

The biggest problem I see in your textures are light direction, the texture and model need to complement eachother, don't be afraid to make certain areas much darker or brighter than you might intitally think they should be, the wonderfull part about the stylized handpainted look of studios like Blizzard and Riot, is that things are very overdone and blown out of proportion, they dare to take the risks of stepping outside of realism.

Also! One more advice for painting, when making shadows, don't use black, it becomes very apparent very quickly when black is used to shade and it doesn't read correctly, surfaces tend to become darker and more saturated when they are shaded, using black will remove that saturation, so instead of using black I'd suggest you colour pick that darkest colour that you initally laid down as your base, and use that instead.

Hope I'm making sense here!
    paintover.png

12. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Man, awesome! Thanks a ton, these suggestions you give are gold! And yeah, light direction is definately my biggest weakness in textures, I'm not very good at keeping it in mind and calculating where the light would hit etc. It's definately something I need to work on.
    Quick question: what kind of brush settings do you usually use? I'm using 3DCoat for texturing, and I can't really decide whether I like the airbrush better than the regular one. Right now I'm just using a standard brush with the opacity set to about 40%. Do you have any tips on brush settings, or what kind of brushes work best for stylized textures?

Thanks again for the help man, that paint-over looks epic and I will do my best to work on those areas :D

13. Traggey

Traggey

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I use the standard round fuzzy brush with 75 % opacity for everything I do in 3Dcoat! Glad to help ;)

Another thing! If you have problems with light direction, what you could do is set up some basic lighting on the model inside of 3D's max, use the render to texture function for "Complete map" to render the lighting out onto a texture, you can then use that as direction for where the light would logicaly fall.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And as Prometheus guides Hephaestus, fire is created & mankind is born.

15. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh my god. I can't wait to see how Orgrim turns out! Why'd you give his shoulder pads spikes though? In the manuals and in Warcraft III, the shoulder pads on the Doomhammer plate never had spikes. That was a WoW thing.

16. Zaljinzoo

Zaljinzoo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I believe that while Tauer is using the Warcraft II concept for the main body of the models, of course, he's also drawing reference to this piece of art for some of the details of the armor.

You can see some other similarities to it, such as the kneeplate.

17. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah, okay I suppose that makes sense. Orgrim's my favorite orc character, so I'm happy to see a revisit of him from Tauer. :)

I hope the Doomhammer itself remains factionless like in Tauer's old Orgrim models. I have an idea for a machinima that the Blackrock logo would probably not fit.

18. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Tauer , have you consider doing WoW characters maybe? Like Varian? We really lack some good models of Varian, Khadgar, Velen (which you already started some months ago...

19. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True dat. :)

20. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tauer's made it clear he prefers classic Warcraft lore over WoW lore multiple times in the past. I don't see that changing any time soon, guys.