1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Tales Of Old Warcraft 0.3c

Submitted by Drogenhoernchen
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
I M P O R T A N T: See the posting bellow for the screenshot links. You really should have a look at those instead of reading my map describtion. Seriouslly. I'm not good at map describtion. But the screenshots are good, I think. Just have a look.

SUMMARY:

Basicly, I wanted to create a map set in the time of Warcraft 1 - a dark and mysterious time. It's not a remake, however.
I tried to create a completly new game experience which I tried to make both fun and easy to learn.
I wanted the map to look good and be realistic. I tried to create a beautiful map design. I've chosen the models I
imported very carefully because I definitely wanted them to fit in with the game. I tried to preserve the original
atmosphere of wc1 and wc2 which were pretty dark and cool and bring it back to live in a newer game (which does not instantly
give you eye-cancer). I put a lot of detail-work in the map and I hope people appreciate that.

However, there might be room for improvement. I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Especially about the following aspects:

- balance of the factions
- fun factor
- spelling/grammar mistakes (as you may have guessed English is not my mother tongue)
- is it possible to play fluently?
- bugs
- how do you like the atmopshere?

CREDITS - IMPORTED MATERIAL

HUMAN

MountedFootman by Mephestrial
MountedSwordsman by Mephestrial
Cleric by 67chrome

DWARF

DwarvenMountaineer by Norinrad
Dwarven axe thrower by Frankster
DwarfCrane by Ket (added Portrait Camera)

BTNMountaineer by Norinrad
BTNDwarven axe thrower by Frankster
BTNDwarfCrane by Ket
BTNExplosiveBarrel2 by M0rbit

BLOODELF

HeroRanger by Kuhneghetz
FugitiveMageV2 by Red

ORC

OrcWarlockHero by Dojo (removed shield, removed cape, changed weapon size, changed weapon skin, changed helmet skin, created a Chaos version of this model)
RedDragonspawn by Sellenisko

TROLL

Troll Enforcer by Lord_T
DarkSpear Chemist by -Grendel
Troll by HappyTauren (changed blood color from green to dark red, renamed 'Attack - Unarmed' animation to 'Stand Work' for trigger reasons )

BTNTroll by HappyTauren
BTNTrollPredator by Mr. Goblin

UNDEAD

DeathKnight WC2 by Necrokenis
UndeadVrykul by Sellenisko
SkeletonPeasant by cavman

BTNUndeadHorse by Kuhneghetz

OTHER

V1_Ballista by Kitabatake
WoodWall0 by Mephestrial (added Portrait Camera)
WoodWall90 by Mephestrial (added Portrait Camera)
NightElfArtisan by Sellenisko

BTNLight by Palaslayer
BTNEarthLance by L_Lawliet (I made it a AAT Button)
BTNCWRuneSword by CloudWolf (I made it a AAT Button)
BTNPuma by Kuhneghetz

USED TOOLS (all from www.hiveworkshop.com)

- Button Manager
- War3 Model Editor
- BLP Lab

Environment sounds legally downloaded from ''soundbible.com''

ABOUT THE RACES AND HOW THEY MADE THEIR WAY TO THE EPOCH OF WARCRAFT 1:

- Humans: Classic. They've always been there. However, the 'old' humans are way more fixated on strong cavalry (knights) and have cleric as healer
- Dwarfs: No good game without them. Little people with affinity for explosives. In my map their guns are pretty noisy :)
- Elves: rather Bloodelves. Magic addicts. They would be pretty weak without their mana restoration abilities.
- Orcs: The 'old' Orcs. Wild and evil. With Warlocks, Necrolytes and even some Undead units. Never before have the Orcs been so dark!
- Trolls: the history of Azeroth mentions a troll war even before the Orcs came. Anyway, I decided on blue Trolls.
- Undeads: Even before 'The Scourge' came there were Necromancers, Dark Mages and Death Knights. Any questions?

SOME DETAILS:

THIS IS A MAP WITH 6 COMPLETLY NEW FACTIONS (Human, Dwarf, Bloodelf, Orc, Troll, Undead). EACH FACTION OFFERS
RATHER FEW UNITS (7-10). I BASICLLY TRIED TO CREATE THE RIGHT ATMOSPHERE FOR EACH OF THE RACES. THE WHOLE SETTING
IS RATHER WARCRAFT 1 ALIKE (dark and obscure). I TRIED TO KEEP BATTLES REALISTIC (units die fast). I WANTED A FAST
AND EXCITING GAMEPLAY (units are trained in 0.0 seconds) I WANTED A SIMPLE GAME CONCEPT WITH FEW BASE MANAGEMENT
(Players must conquer Blacksmithes/Lumbermills for resources) I WANTED WALLS AND GATES INCLUDED (gates open and close
on order) I WANTED A BEAUTIFULL MAP-DESIGN (there's loooots of shrubs)

THIS MAP IS ABOUT...

- Atmosphere
...the weather changes
...new background sounds (wind + crickets at night)
...I tried to create a new but yet Warcraft alike feeling
...very detailed map design

- Details
...injured units are bleeding for some time and move slowly
...crates that give the player gold/lumber can be picked up simply by moving over them
...some units get promoted automatically when they survive battle for a while (Footman becomes Captain, +10 Armour)
...units of the same type will move with slightly different movement speed to make their formation more dynamic

- Realism
...the propotions of units and buildings are realistic which means that units are pretty small
...most units die pretty fast
...riders can ride down enemies
...Flaming Arrows can be used to set fire to wooden units
...unit responses are in-game (Warcry when they attack, cast spells etc. - can be heart by the enemy, too)

-A New Game System
...the game is based on securing neutral buildings all over the map
...these neutral buildings increase the gold/lumber rate
...some factions can build fortifications (such as walls, gates, towers)
...Catapults and Ballistas are build in the field (in a box that breaks open once they're completed)

- Unique Factions
... I tried to create a unique gaming experience for each of the factions
... each faction has unique abilities which are typic for it (example: Humans are the only faction which is capable of trading Gold for Lumber/Lumber for Gold))

UNIQUE ABILITIES OF THE RACES (examples):

Human:
- The humans can trade gold & lumber at the market place

Dwarf:
- Ultimate unit: Heavy tank with 3 attacks

Bloodelf:
- Mana stores can always restore mana of surrounding mages

Orc:
- Leader units give bonuses to basic units (movement + attack speed)

Troll:
- Assassins are permanently invisible and won't be become visible when they attack

Undead:
- Necrolytes and Death Knights can Summon masses skeletons wherever they are

I will try to improve this map if I receive constructive feedback (this sentence sounds weird...)

Keywords:
race, races, nation, nations, faction, factions, old, wc1, wc2, war1, war2, capture, dark, evil, detail, detailed, full of detail, overuse of keywords
Contents

Tales Of Old Warcraft 0.3c (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - [IMG] Date: 2012/May/27 11:50:55 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor,...
  1. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    well thanks a lot... and you're right about the AI thing. now i don't know if you're aware there are trigger-based attacks when you single-play as Player Red but this system can't be compared to AI anyways and i'll defintely add real AI at some point

ok thanks for the 'well made' part... and yeah gameplay may need improvement. One thing i can tell u for sure is that i will add a more advanced ressource system.

thanks for being so precise! Now i can fix it. This style of comment is always wecome :)

i tried to avoid quick win which is why all the starting units are rather useless against structures and basiclly only catapults and certain spells should be effective agaist any strucs. Also catapults are very slow and easy to counter (via Ballista, Spells) However i will check this and do my best to make quick win rather unlikely

there's no reason not to do this so ok i'll change it. good suggestion btw

btw thanks for all of your suggestions i will consider them. oh and thx for rep. also i like your avatar picture it's probably the only normal picture around the hive :)

EDIT: Update coming soon (bringing some sort of AI whatsoever)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. wolfikun

wolfikun

Resources:
    Resources:
    looks pretty cool it has its BAZINGA something Im looking for this is a good map Ima try it out hope its as good as it looks

3. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i just googled bazinga =)

4. dk97

dk97

Resources:
    Resources:
    nice game, 4/5
    but can you create other modes like 4vs4 or FFA?

€: If you build an catapult with undead you are not the owner of the catapult.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  5. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thx and i will think about it

say whaaaat =)
    ill look at it
    thx for the clue

p.s. what's it with the euro symbol?

EDIT: catapult bug fixed. thx dk97!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think euro symbol is edit ! =D
    Btw, this map looks great, too bad I dont have wc3 installed on my computer right now !
    Great job mate !

7. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @MogulKahn: thanks to you mister; dk97 already pm'd me bout that € symbol =)

ok so far it seems people like how the map looks but gameplay is not versatile enough - i wonder what i should go for: more units or more structures or more abilities? i cant do all at once or ill be dead within a month ;)

8. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This actually looks really cool.

9. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks RiotZ
    and everybody stay tuned - im considering to actually add real techtrees for this to finally add some serious strategy (i found some AMAZING stucture models on the hive) - as always advice is welcome

btw ain't i nice replying to every single comment =)

10. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will download this, if anyone wants to test it with me, that'd be cool.

11. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    hello?
    (echo: hello, hello, hello,...)

look at this place it's deserted

:p

12. Tridinar

Tridinar

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all, the elves could use more work, buildings, and catapults. It's like the map-creator didn't even try. The catapult will not attack buildings.

Elves are very uselss!

Secondly, the sound of the wind is very hard to stand. It's a bit annoying on the ears. Even if I play music in the background, it's still way to loud.

Suggestion: Maybe add a trigger like -windon and -windoff.

Thus far, I have only played with Elves and Humans.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  13. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First of all, which version of the map did you play? Normal download or the alteration with bases - cos if it is the latter you must know that it is VERY early stage (as i mentioned in post #1)

you make me sooo sad...

It's called minimum range! You probablly had them placed to close to the target. Seems like i got to re-add the 'to close' interface message...

Work? Okay. Buildings? This map is not about base building, sir, i'm sorry. Catapults? Elves don't need them; use fire mages' meteor ability in combination with mana stores that restore the mages' mana - they will be just as effective against structures as 'regular' catapults

i might remove wind, allright...

14. Tridinar

Tridinar

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really meant no offense to this. I'm sorry. :goblin_boom:

I was a little upset at first, because I really love Tower defense/maul maps. This is a cross between both RTS and Tower Defense. I absolutely love the concept. But, the execution was a little less than expected.

I will help where I can, if you're interested. Unfortunately, right now, I have five more weeks left before I get my Bachelor's degree. So, I am a bit busy. But, my wife and I love the concept, and once Battle.net is down for good, I would like to find a way to program it in either C++, C#, or Flash, and put it on an interactive website.

The Glave throwers were no where near the target. They still would not "Acquire" target. Not sure why. The human cat's did though. Maybe it's something to look into. You're doing great.

Again, I am sorry to make you sad. Maybe, my changing to a rating of 5 would help cheer you up. The fact that you responded so quickly, and was such a good sport about it, really made the map, and you the creator, excel at potential. Keep it up. I am looking forward to later releases. You're doing great! :goblin_yeah:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's okay man. Don't panic...

this missunderstanding may also be my fault as i put so many categories when i uploaded the map, including tower defense - clearly this map is no tower defense map at all (factions have 1 tower at most)

i will correct my error with the next update.

This is why i put so many categories - however, by doing so i fool people who search the maps section for specific categories such as 'tower defense' - and this is no tower defense at all. I want no misunderstandings to occur so i will take care of the categorie problem...

everybody is free to edit this map (see post #1) You can help me with advise, too. However, I have no time for extended team work via internet. Sorry.

i don't know anything about these programms but you can do all of this if you want. I mean... it's the internet, you don't need to ask me. Come on =)

By 'Glave throwers' you mean ballistas, right? Well, they only attack catapults (it says so in the unit tooltip and when you hover your mouse over their 'attack type' button in the interface) and yet again, their range is incredibly high and i set minimum range accordingly- However, i might remove all the minimum ranges from the game as this seems to cause to much confusion

Yes... yes it does... =)

however, i gotta say your initial rating kind of motivated me to start mapping again. Before this i was just checking on my map, but i didn't intend to further work on it. Now i feel like trying some stuff, maybe adding some new concepts.

Thx man!

EDIT:
    okay the next update is gonna bring a new race selection system which allows players to actually see all the different factions' units before they choose
    also there will be a new game feature i call it 'global orders'; they allow players to control their entire army using their main building's global orders; of course some micro management like using spells etc. still will have to be done 'manually' (by clicking units etc.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  16. dota66

dota66

Resources:
    Resources:
    I AGREE :ogre_haosis:

17. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Played it today, and I can say this map is good and original, but it needs a lot of balancing and a lot of units are similar !

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  18. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i have figured out a way to make a street system like in Warcraft 1 (view corresponding screenshot in post #1)

consequently i will expand base building options in this game. The update should be in about 2 weeks

EDIT: the update will be delayed

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  19. 2013player

2013player

Resources:
    Resources:
    :pird: Copied this map is created by Legal_Ease :thumbs_down:

20. Drogenhoernchen

Drogenhoernchen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    wrong. He based his map on this one AND he has my permission. Ask him. Inform yourself next time, please.