• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sundering Blades was not the way to Go; instead, Knight Charge was the option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hello,

Dev comment: While the Knight is quite formidable in single combat with other units, we wanted to improve its role vs medium armor further than the default damage bonus of 150%. This allows Knights to be more threatening vs ranged units they chase down - such as Crypt Fiends - and increases their ability to fight against Mountain Giants.

if anything is going to hinder knights, or any melee unit, its that when it is slowed/crippled, it will never have a chance to attack. what melee units need vs such is not a more bonus dmg vs range, but rather, a better chance to attack.

Footman have defend, which in addition to the lot of surviveability it gives him, it gives him chance to reflect ranged attacks; a reach for the ranged units.

Originally created by @teozamait in The Scourge of Lordaeron - Enhanced , or by whoever the ability was taken from. (similar to orc speed scroll)

though it can modified to only trigger when charging opponent and never when retreating. I think this is much better alternative than Knights 15% sundering Blades. not to mention, MGs frequentlly walk back to fountains of health/MoonWells, so it might be a good way to chase them down still. Furthermore, this charge buff could be triggered such that it expires on first hit/attack, giving some bonus damage on that first hit (say 50% bonus to medium armor)

anyway, you might argue that its still bad vs MGs(if the buff is only movespeed bonus), well, MGs are so powerful anyway. I dont think nerfing all Medium armored units is the correct way to solve it. perhaps reduce hard skin to 11 dmg? or reduce his armor/HP?

MGs still wont care vs Footmen, be it 11 or 12 dmg reduction, but for units that a little bit higher dmg, it might be noticeable.

Another Option for MGs is to change their armor type to Heavy, and make hardened skin not work vs Melees, but only vs ranged (16 dmg reduction instead of 12) + more armor too.

but anyway, I wanted to ask, This sundering blade upgrade, so does it make knights do 165% instead of 150%? or does it make them do 172.5%? i.e. stacking additively or multiplicitly?

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I see where you are coming from, but I think Blizzard are very careful with adding entire new mechanics to a unit. Perhaps your idea is good, but it would certainly change gameplay in unknowable ways more so than a simple damage boost vs. medium armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.