• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestions, based off the Strategy threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
(Haven't played the game yet, so there are no balance comments, but provided the Strategy threads are accurate then I should be well-informed)

You seem to have made all Enchantments/Enchant Creatures (such as Bad Moon and Animate Dead (and maybe Crusade? Hard to tell)) into spells. Is there any chance of, perhaps, making some Enchantments (or at least Enchant Creatures?) There were some very effective ones, such as Unstable Mutation, which I think would fit well into this map (in the case of Unstable Mutation, misused it could cause a waste of a powerful creature, but used well it could cause severe pain to your enemies ;))

Also, what about The Hive just because of the name? I noticed you used Serpent Generator :p

Finally, interested in any suggestions for new/different creatures? A specific one comes to mind, whose name eludes me (I can check tomorrow, on my PC), which is 2GR for a 2/2 first strike, whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. Also, Vampire Bats, and maybe a Shade (Frozen Shade, Shimmering Shade, etc, etc).

Also, Lord of the Pit, flying? :p (Also, his sacrifice penalty was an interesting balance factor too, especially with Sengir Bats in this :p)

Also, for some reason whenever I think of Green I think of Grizzly Bears and War Mammoth :p (Nice with Child of Gaea though, that one's a personal favorite). Also, do you think something such as Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Fyndyhorn Elves, etc, would be too imbalanced?

Also, I laugh at your Brassclaw Orcs ;) (old magic fans may know what I mean by this one)

Next, only one Goblin? Red seemed to love them much more than that (even beyond tribes!), and I'm sure you could adapt some of them to work nicely.

Finally, I find it a bit strange that Meteor Shower and Magnetic Mountain (very obscure cards, and Meteor Shower sucks very much in the real magic) are included instead of more well known cards such as Fireball and Lightning Bolt (or Shock if you're not oldschool, I guess ;))

Level 23
(Haven't played the game yet, so there are no balance comments, but provided the Strategy threads are accurate then I should be well-informed)

You seem to have made all Enchantments/Enchant Creatures (such as Bad Moon and Animate Dead (and maybe Crusade? Hard to tell)) into spells. Is there any chance of, perhaps, making some Enchantments (or at least Enchant Creatures?) There were some very effective ones, such as Unstable Mutation, which I think would fit well into this map (in the case of Unstable Mutation, misused it could cause a waste of a powerful creature, but used well it could cause severe pain to your enemies ;))

You'd have to suggest how to use Enchantments in this map's current form. Gratuituous Violence and Metamorphosis for instance, despite being spells, work much like an enchantment of sorts. They give current creatures in play a significant boost.

Also, what about The Hive just because of the name? I noticed you used Serpent Generator :p

Haha, I would! But Serpent Generator was in the Starcraft original, and I wanted to preserve that.

Finally, interested in any suggestions for new/different creatures? A specific one comes to mind, whose name eludes me (I can check tomorrow, on my PC), which is 2GR for a 2/2 first strike, whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. Also, Vampire Bats, and maybe a Shade (Frozen Shade, Shimmering Shade, etc, etc).

Not sure if more creatures is viable. There's a delicate balance regarding the different units' strengths and weaknesses currently. Play the map and come back with your thoughts on this one. :)

Also, Lord of the Pit, flying? :p (Also, his sacrifice penalty was an interesting balance factor too, especially with Sengir Bats in this :p)

Didn't want to give black more flying creatures, and sengir bats do self-sacrifice. In an effort to keep each creature as unique as possible, I've kept their abilities and different aspects as far apart as I could.

Also, for some reason whenever I think of Green I think of Grizzly Bears and War Mammoth :p (Nice with Child of Gaea though, that one's a personal favorite). Also, do you think something such as Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Fyndyhorn Elves, etc, would be too imbalanced?

I really want to add Birds of paradise somewhere in the future versions.

Also, I laugh at your Brassclaw Orcs ;) (old magic fans may know what I mean by this one)

Next, only one Goblin? Red seemed to love them much more than that (even beyond tribes!), and I'm sure you could adapt some of them to work nicely.

Finally, I find it a bit strange that Meteor Shower and Magnetic Mountain (very obscure cards, and Meteor Shower sucks very much in the real magic) are included instead of more well known cards such as Fireball and Lightning Bolt (or Shock if you're not oldschool, I guess ;))

Brassclaw Orcs rah!
Yeah, I need to add a Goblin King in red's arsenal. Maybe replace one of the existant red creatures.
Meteor Shower and Magnetic Mountain were in the Starcraft original, and again, that was my reason to keep them in. Preserving the original as much as I could.

Besides, you know you love casting Meteor Shower 5 seconds after Magnetic Mountain. :9

Last edited:
Level 40
You'd have to suggest how to use Enchantments in this map's current form. Gratuituous Violence and Metamorphosis for instance, despite being spells, work much like an enchantment of sorts. They give current creatures in play a significant boost.
Hrm, I suppose. I was more thinking something that potentially wasn't global (Enchant Creature), I guess, but that might be too much work (on the user side that is).

About magnetic mountain and meteor shower, it's funny how they're so different (and so not sucky) in this :p

Last edited:
Level 5
Add a Giant Growth spell for green, Temporarily giving units some sort of buff :D

Level 23
On second thought, manually enchanting a single creature may be just a bit too.... meaningless. We're talking about dozens of creatures in play at any given time, enchanting just a single one for a manacost seems redundant.

Also there's stuff like dispell, spell steal, abolish magic, mind bomb, metamorphosis and hunting pack that'd interfere with the enchanting.

Level 40
Hrm, possibly.

Suggestion, then: You could do Overrun for green =o (as a sort of global enchantment)

~Hosting right now.

EDIT:

Gave it a spin. It was overall good, but there were some balance flaws.

-Red seemed quite weak.

-Blue was the strongest colour. Why? Buy 8 Unseen thingees and 1 Djinn. GG. (Clone hax)

-Radiant, as mentioned, is very overpowered. His heal, in particular, is insane.

Also, to cut down the filesize a bit, just use the default mannoroth, not an imported one for the decay animation?

Last edited:
Level 23
Red is weak the moment he waits in his base and does nothing for too long a time.

Radiant will be fixed in the next version. His heal will remain unchanged though, since its' cooldown is already huge. His HP pool will be nerfed, and his attack damage a slight bit as well.

That's a pretty good blue strategy. :)
May have to look at Clone "damage taken" a bit though.

That is the default Mannoroth. :p

Level 40
Roffles, I never thought blizzard gave decay animations to any heroes...

As for the "Pretty Good Blue Strategy", I could easily pick off 1 artifact, or 1-2 3500$ units no problem with one wave of 8 fake Djinns. (Flying too, yay)

Oh yeah, a bug.

Wind Walk removes the Djinn's ability to walk over cliffs.

EDIT: To optimize models... (Popped open the map to get the list of models and filesizes)

• Dwarf Warrior seems to be the biggest... You could use Mountain King instead.
  • Floating Eye could be replaced with Sentry Ward or something? As it is, it looks really odd anyways :p
  • That loading screen is eating up a ton of space, just use a custom one.
  • You could just make up an excuse for why there are trolls on the bats, and use the Troll Batrider model for Sengir Bats.
  • Just make Savannah Lions spawn one type of lion?
  • Are you using Lava Spawn? If not, use it for Lavacore Elemental.
  • Do you really need both Tiger.mdx and WhiteTiger.mdx?

EDIT2: Just noticed there is no Serra Angel :p

There was even one in the original, what's your excuse? ;) (Serra Avatar is cooler in MTG? :p)

Last edited:
Level 23
Roffles, I never thought blizzard gave decay animations to any heroes...

As for the "Pretty Good Blue Strategy", I could easily pick off 1 artifact, or 1-2 3500$ units no problem with one wave of 8 fake Djinns. (Flying too, yay)

Oh yeah, a bug.

Wind Walk removes the Djinn's ability to walk over cliffs.

EDIT: To optimize models... (Popped open the map to get the list of models and filesizes)

• Dwarf Warrior seems to be the biggest... You could use Mountain King instead.
  • Floating Eye could be replaced with Sentry Ward or something? As it is, it looks really odd anyways :p
  • That loading screen is eating up a ton of space, just use a custom one.
  • You could just make up an excuse for why there are trolls on the bats, and use the Troll Batrider model for Sengir Bats.
  • Just make Savannah Lions spawn one type of lion?
  • Are you using Lava Spawn? If not, use it for Lavacore Elemental.
  • Do you really need both Tiger.mdx and WhiteTiger.mdx?

EDIT2: Just noticed there is no Serra Angel :p

There was even one in the original, what's your excuse? ;) (Serra Avatar is cooler in MTG? :p)

Wind Drift's description actually saus that it is unreliable when used above water or mountains. :)

The eye model is tiny, the dwarf warrior is too cool to remove, sengir bats will look retarded when mounted... I do wanna keep some eyecandy in there. Big issue is the loading screen at the moment, I can fix that to reduce size.
Lava spawn is used for Myojin's Ultimate.
Savannah Lions use the same skin, models are small as well..

Hmm, the tigers... think one is the white one and the other's the orange one. They're both for green and dont have teamcolor, so yeah, need 'em both.

Yeah, Serra Angels were replaced by Cloudchaser Eagles, so I could also give white Skyrider Trainees.

Level 9
Pooty, don't be too harsh. WE isn't a strong enough tool to fix everything exactly the way we want it. And in my opinion, a bit of eyecandy is more important than a small filesize. The only players that I want in my games are the patient types anyway, good way to filter the noobs from your game!

Level 9
I really liked the old SC version, played that a ton but I think you could improve this alot by getting rid of the beacons and using the mercenary system for the units/spellbook. Also improving the terrain somewhat wouldn't hurt.

Looks pretty good as it is now though and is definetly a faithful remake.

Level 9
Didn't know that one. But yeah, I do like the fact that it kind of sticks to the original. I was a huge fan of the Starcraft version myself, you have managed to "capture the feeling" a bit, whilst improving on some parts, too. I miss green's guardian spam and blue's airspam though xD

Status
Not open for further replies.