• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggested forum software? (Vbulletin?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I am currently in the midst of designing an AoS-style mod that I have been working very hard on for several weeks now. I was thinking about creating a website for the map that would include the following things (just so you get an idea of what I want to do):

1. List of heroes with abilities/ability descriptions and a place for comments
2. List of items and a place for comments
3. News blog (main page)
4. Forum for users to collaborate on the game
5. The ability for users to create accounts and modify settings (avatar, etc.)

I don't know how difficult all this would be to do (infact I don't know anything about creating a website), so I was curious if any of you could direct me as to how to go about this. I am not familiar with HTML, but could likely learn how to do some basic things with it fairly quickly. I have experience with basic Java syntax.

Alternatively, I have heard about a forum software program called Vbulletin (I think this site uses it). Has anyone used this before and can you share your experiences if you have? The Vbulletin website says it's just under $300 which is pretty expensive for me atm (but certainly doable).

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated ^-^

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You could try getting hosting from a site such as this (there are others). Although not as flexible (flexibility is up to the administrators), it will certainly be easier for you to set up (as the staff maintains the core). They also may have huge user bases meaning getting memebers would be easier (as many people arleady have accounts). Ofcourse you should consider donating to which ever site accepts you (as you see, sites are not cheap to run).

Vbulletin is what this site has been using (plans to change are being worked on). Steam also uses it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
VBulletin is basically the most powerful host on the market. Naturally, there are free options that are more than suitable for the above mentioned features. Such examples would be Forumer or Lefora. I believe these two mentioned are the highest rated free forum hosts, and they should more than cover your wanted features.
PS: I hope mentioning other forum hosts isn't advertising. If so, please delete this post.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Advertisement never bother me for one, it's usually discrete enough not to be a pain. The only question is what type of quality you wish to maintain for your forum. Just remember, the best quality options are never free. If you have no problem spending a few bucks, VBulletin appears to be highly appreciated so I'd definitely go with that. If your wallet is filled with nothing but dust however, Forumer and Lefora are still comfortable and quite pleasing options. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.