• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating my own forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I am creating my own forum software. (And I am asking for some feedback)

What I am trying to do:
Build some great forum software that is not only highly flexible and dynamic but also meets the todays standards in web development and to build a resource-based board which can be either used for free (with limits) or for more costs get advanced options.
The real new thing is that you will either use this software for free (and then you are not able to sell bonus stuff) or use it with a commercial license and then you are able to sell premium memberships which gives you money!

[Features]
  • Users
  • Groups
  • Permission based of groups
  • Multi game support
  • Development teams & permissions (Project based)
  • Projects
  • Different resources (Based on games)
  • Complete in/export
  • Awesome tutorial / how to's
  • Fast
  • Flexible
  • Dynamic
  • AJAX enhanced
  • Easy setup
  • cakePHP based
  • Multi language support
  • AJAX chat
  • Free
  • or advanced for money

[Resource Features]
  • Code Editor (With syntax highlighting)
    • User
    • Mod
    • Team/Owner
  • Development teams
  • Version history
  • Bugtracker
  • Public/Private - Link it to a project
  • Review system
    • Auto request on mods
    • Individual status

(This list is only a work in progess)

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Quick WIP:

SS2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
I've gotta say this seems like some excellent features. As non-pro website writer I can't see anything that should be added. :)
But I'm quite curious though, what would there be for those premium accounts? Or is it something that website owner then can set?

I have attached a little quick thought about my database.
You can see the following important ideas:

• Resources always have teams. You (the owner) can invite other people and give them permissions to update and such things.
  • Projects can have resources linked, so you don't need to safe links anymore.
  • This forum software is concepted to be able to use any amount of games and any amount of different resource types.
  • The new table structure enables fast and flexible behaviors.

I really would like to get some feedback.

Attachments

• DB.jpg
    DB.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 102
Level 10
Why? There are three major php/mysql forum packages already out there: phpBB, vBulletin, and invision.
phpBB and vBulletin are both fully customizable with their own systems for writing addons.

What is your motivation for repeating work that has already been done?

If you had an existing system you needed to integrate a forum into, and merging it with an existing forum package isn't possible, then that would be a good reason.
I'd also understand why if you had an existing front-end template you needed to work back from, which is what I recently did when I made www.unrealbnet.com
Also writing it in another language, such as JSP would be a good reason, but then it would still be better to just port an existing package to JSP.

If you had an existing system you needed to integrate a forum into, and merging it with an existing forum package isn't possible, then that would be a good reason.
Yes, I want a resource-based forum software.

Also writing it in another language, such as JSP would be a good reason, but then it would still be better to just port an existing package to JSP.
I better stick to PHP, JavaScript, MySQL and AJAX & XHTML.

Status
Not open for further replies.