• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Steps to creating a TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I've seen the guides and I'm still not sure what the proper order of map making should be.

For instance what I'm thinking is:
Step 1: create the terrain
Step 2: create towers (including abilities and upgrades)
Step 3: create creep waves
Step 4: write triggers
Step 5: test

Is this the easiest order to do things in?

Level 1
I've seen the guides and I'm still not sure what the proper order of map making should be.

For instance what I'm thinking is:
Step 1: create the terrain
Step 2: create towers (including abilities and upgrades)
Step 3: create creep waves
Step 4: write triggers
Step 5: test

Is this the easiest order to do things in?

Level 5
Creeps than towers.
I find it better to balance the towers off the creeps than the other way around and also that allows more more creative tower making and thus leading to more strategies.

Level 4
The above posters are correct. First creeps than towers.

Be sure to have no "jumps" in the wave difficulty. Make a spreadsheet (or use your head :)) and try to create a rough difficulty estimate for every wave like: movespeed * hitpoints * armor * (1+evasive abilities %)

And you should decide weather to have a linear or exponential increase in this "difficulty".
If your difficulty graph/line looks fine add some small bumps; these will become your "noob filter waves" ;-)

I did this for my td project and it turned out to be a f*king good idea. It is not as much effort as it sounds and a nicely balanced difficulty will make your td much much more enjoyable. Your testers will love it :)

Good mapping,

blackcud

Status
Not open for further replies.