• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Start of a New Map! Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi HW. I need help on making a map. Im fairly new to it but i think i have a good grip on it just fooling around. I would like to get more serious. The only problem is that i dont know what kind of map i should make or where i should start. And if i though of the object of the game how do i like i dont know umm trigger the (how to win?) idk like dota its to kill World Tree or frozen throne. Footies to destroy barracks. Such and such please help and thanks a lot, i will understand if you cannot.:thumbs_up:

Level 8
So you've just discovered the world of warcraft editing xD
First thing is to chill and consider your options.

Don't try to do anything too complicated at first and a good place to start is the Tutorials Section. There is even a good guide to making a Tower Defense there.

Mess around with some triggers and get to know what you can do with the GUI, get an idea, try it out, then ask about problem solving if you need to. :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Yah that sounds good, just maybe not start the Epic Map i want to yet but first familiarize more with triggers and maybe terraining and tiggering and prgress work untill i hit the big one thats perfect thanks a lot! im going to start now.

Ham

Ham

Level 5
i think you should go this forum instead to get some ideas Ideas i can also help u with anything u want, my project is stopped at the moment, it's about 70% done, either i can help you, or you help me finish mine, so you will learn at the same time ;)

Level 2
oh that would be great, i would love to contribute to anyone that i can in the hive. Im relay good at ideas of heros or like looks and spell stuff and pretty much visual. But triggering is a litttle tough but i can get around. Umm yah dont matter to me Just i dont realy have idea what to make i just want to make something that takes strategy and skill not just massingt armies and sending them and upgrade but actualy watch where your walking and just stuff like that

Level 7
Try making a mini-game, Basicly anything that already has been made then make it smaller, shorter and quicker paced. It takes very little time to think of ideas and is a great way to start honeing your skills.

Level 10
I agree with the Black Clown. Try smaller mini-games. To get the hang of triggers, look in the tutorial section, and just fool around with them in some maps you make. You shouldn't go head first into a large game like DOTA or something. Get the hang of it, then get bigger and more creative. Heres a tip: when working on maps and you cannot find what to do for something, search the forums, then if you still didn't find what your looking for, post a new thread. Search first, ask after.
Also, welcom to THW.

Level 7
You can always just make random stuff, such as random triggers.. or just random terraining. Then as you find yourself getting better and better release somthing and get some feed-back.

Good luck mate, :) and welcome.

Level 3
Aeroblyctos, that's hardly anyway near beginner-level where most of us start :D Good map though, would just hope that you'd make renewed version of it(fix bugs, remake terrain, rewrite texts etc...) but yup, that's too much work to be considered seriously :p

To OP: I suggest you to start with the basic idea of WC3, which is stragedy-game! Make some simple story-based maps where you build a base, run around with your hero, make some events and ultimate goal like destroy the enemy base, custom tech-tree, and keep it simple. Maybe it sounds boring, but you will learn so much, and even better, get your first map done! :D

Level 2
Try making a mini-game, Basicly anything that already has been made then make it smaller, shorter and quicker paced. It takes very little time to think of ideas and is a great way to start honeing your skills.

what do you mean mini game? like whats considered a mini game?, capture the flag? idkk

Level 2
I suggest you to start with making melee/altered melee map as they are the easiest. Try to get yourself into terraining and object editor before trigger.

yahh thats what ive been working on, and i got down Terrain and object editor real good. thanks! and i have learned a lot more i just need to practice triggering and also

ALSO : What does JASS mean?

Level 5
JASS is like a coding language for W3, thats what you learn after you know all there is to GUI.

I went from Altered Melee (Object Editor [OE]) to Minigames (GUI & OE) to editing W3 Melee (GUI & OE) to scenarios (Advanced GUI + OE) to making GUI spell triggering (GUI + Channel ability) to Making a map from all that I have learned. Start off with Object Editor, edit some spells, Make a very unfair Melee map (We all did that) then go to GUI and then do what you want from there.

Level 12
Depending on your interest and your programing knowledge.

The biggest piece of advise i have is to try to make the project something you enjoy working on.

I personally don't like making spells so i don't try to make games that involve them. I Also do enjoy making systems, so i have tried to focus on those things in my game and leave the parts i don't enjoy to people that do in enjoy it. But at least for me, if i am more excited to play warcraft then work on my map, most of the time i just play warcraft.

Level 18
what do you mean mini game? like whats considered a mini game?, capture the flag? idkk

Well I'm working on a capture the flag map and that's the first map I seriously started with. All I can say is that it's very difficult to make it and I got annoyed seeing how all my own triggers were unefficient (I stopped working on it for a while doing something in between with my newer knowledge, but I'm hoping to finish my CTF now, having some help from another guy with other gamemodes).

Good luck! :thumbs_up:

Untitled Trigger 001
Events
Unit - Footman 0000 <gen> Dies
Conditions
Actions
Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Game - Victory (Picked player) (Show dialogs, Show scores)

A little Victory trigger where all win after when a specific footman dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.