• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Start learning C++!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Blizzard has confirmed that the scripting language in the SC2 scum editor will be very closely related/based off of C/C++, so start learning C++ if you don't know it already, the more you know the easier it will be to learn the SC2 scripting language. Let me translate this for you.

Learning C++ early + SC2 coming out in a few months + early scripted custom games made by you = one of the first custom games / uber fame

-Bane

Level 9
Hmm... I'm sure learning C++ is difficult to learn (however I do have a young friend who knows how to program C++) but if it seems beneficial I guess it might help others. Sounds like some news.

But will it still be based on JASS though, or will it be just like C++ language? It is one difficult language, and the only thing I can program is VB.Net and a bit of C#.

Level 9
No it is not related to JASS whatsoever. Here is the link for proof:

http://www.sc2pod.com/news/QA_Batch_52_Map_Maker_Series/ said:
1. Does it still use the JASS language, or perhaps an upgraded
version of JASS?

StarCraft II uses an entirely new scripting language, which we’ve
called Galaxy. This language is very similar to C, and anyone familiar with
programming in C will have no trouble picking it up.

- http://www.sc2pod.com/news/QA_Batch_52_Map_Maker_Series/

with knowing JASS is far enough. (As a side note: JASS is also based on C)

C and C++ are too complex for starters. Plus their syntax is old. I doubt gallaxy's syntax be shitty enough to be like C. They will for sure make an easy-to-read syntax like Jass, or a reasonable syntax like JAVA.

Actually, knowing how to program in any language is far enough. All that will change will be the syntax. Trust me, it doesn't take more than 2 days to addapt to a new syntax (unless it be a low level programming language)

Level 9
That's very true, but nonetheless knowing any language that is based on C will help as blizz stated that the language will be very close to it

Level 9
I also heard the new programming language Galaxy at the other forum (Masters of Map Making). I guess I would start learning C very soon, but first C# :).

But for now, I'll stick to VB.Net and the GUI for Starcraft II maps, but may prove limiting.

Level 9
I tried to look for tutorials, but not much easy tutorials for the C++. For VB.Net, I depended on samples and myself to learn it, and turned out well. C++ is too hard to understand with just that.

If possible, I wonder if there is a easy tutorial.

C++ is quite easy (console, i use Qt for GUI), and I think Galaxy will be simplified as well.

@BlinkBoy: If it's low-level we will have no one coding maps.

it's obviously not going to be low-level, I was refering that dapting any languages syntax takes short times, unless it (the language/ not refering to galaxy but generic) be low-level.

Status
Not open for further replies.