• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 Translation Project (Swedish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Like the title says, i am currently working on translating the starcraft 2 beta into swedish.

I will release a beta version of this when i feel that i have translated enough for a release.

Incase you wonder why i am doing this.. Well.. i can not answer that question, becouse i do not have a valid answer.
I guess it is becouse people may find it useful..

When i first started, i replaced English. But later i decided that it may be better to try to create a new language insted. So i manage to figure out how all the files work, so now swedish is its own language that you can access through the options.

Currently there is only one problem that i know of. When you select Svenska(swedish) for the first time, and sc2 restart, the game may crash. It only happens the first time you choose the language, so you do not have to worry about that.

I do not have a beta key myself, so i am not able to check if everything works as it should online, so when i have released the beta, feel free to tell me if you find any spelling errors, etc..

SwedishLoginScreen.png

ChooseLanguage.png

AnslutningBruten.png

Original thread:
http://www.udmod.com/showthread.php?414-Starcraft-2-Translation-Project-(Swedish)

Level 17
I read somewhere in Blizz forum Blizzard will be making it with different languages, just so you know. I wouldn't like it to be in anythin but English for me.

I never said that you have to use it.
And yes, blizzard is translating it to different languages, but from the ones i have found in the files, there is like 10 languages, and that is like korean, french, english, etc...
Those languages that almost all games have.

And it doesnt matter if they do swedish themself, atleast i have done something, and i already know a few friends that will use this.

Level 17
Im also reading the Blizzard forum, seems like other guys also prefer to have if in English incl one from Sweden. But ofc, why not. It's a good way to kill the waiting.

On the battle.net forums people only troll on each other.
Seriously, most people around the battle.net forums is just jerks.
I made that thread on the b.net forums to ask the blue posters if im allowed to share this with others, or even use it myself...
And like i said before
I do NOT care if you guys use it or not, i have people that WILL use it, and thats all I care about.

So insted of trying to make fun of me and say that it wont be useful, go do something better yourself please. I atleast do something that other people can find useful, comparing to your post.

Im just trying to help people, and i tell you, your post didnt help me at all.

Level 4
Not to be an asshole but imo translating to swedish isn't very cool mate ;)
I'm swedish myself and I would prefer english from swedish, but maybe that's just me :)

I like your dedication tho.

EDIT:

Didn't see, "I do NOT care if you guys use it or not, i have people that WILL use it, and thats all I care about." At first, should've read the whole thread at once, my appologies if I offended you.

Level 4
@redmarine, the reason games are never published in swedish is that everyone in sweden below the age of 70 are guaranteed to speak english prefectly fluently.

I still think this is a great idea though, i will absolutely use it :)
Lycka till!

"guaranteed to speak english perfectly fulently."

I'd rather put it this way, most swedish people can communicate fuently but not many speak good english as in without swedish accent.

But overall we swedish are good at english I guess :)

I think mods in swedish are pretty cool, check this one out for example:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/halvt-liv-2

It's such a shame it propably won't ever be finished.. "plocka upp burken, din skitstövel" :)

Besides, i think english is pretty overrated as a language. It's basically just a kreol between french and anglosaxon. I'm not saying it's bad, just that every lanuage is as good as any other, it's just a matter of habit, or "jante". ;)

Level 4
I think mods in swedish are pretty cool, check this one out for example:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/halvt-liv-2

It's such a shame it propably won't ever be finished.. "plocka upp burken, din skitstövel" :)

Besides, i think english is pretty overrated as a language. It's basically just a kreol between french and anglosaxon. I'm not saying it's bad, just that every lanuage is as good as any other, it's just a matter of habit, or "jante". ;)

HAHAHA, EPIC!

And about english being overrated, naah, don't think so, just the vocabulary PWNZ swedish for example:

Amount of Words:
Sweden: approx. 250 000
English: approx. 4 000 000

(Unless my memory isn't bailing on me!)

Level 17
Yes indeed, english is just MUCH better.

Do you think everyone that have problems with learning english would say that?

I know how it is to be bad at a language.
I actually prefer english before swedish, i usually chat in english even with swedish friends. I personally think that i am much better at english then swedish (writing, not speaking).
And my plans have changed regarding this project, i were working on translating ingame stuff aswell (like the pause-menu while ingame), but i changed this, atleast until i can find a way to use MPQ files without making them corrupt. The reason to this is becouse everytime blizzard batch and add one single new line to ingame material, that line will get messed up, so i would always have to be up-to-date and change all those things, not to mention that it is far much harder to edit ingame strings without making other appear messed up, becouse it is splited into parts.
But i have translated the entire battle.net. (i may have missed a few lines).
I will probably release this to the public after getting some feedback from testers.

And with this said, i do not translate the entire game, currently i only translate menues and strings you see in battle.net, nothing gameplay related.
So basicly this just makes it easier for people to navigate through the menues if they have problems with english, or just want the menues to be swedish :)

HAHAHA, EPIC!

And about english being overrated, naah, don't think so, just the vocabulary PWNZ swedish for example:

Amount of Words:
Sweden: approx. 250 000
English: approx. 4 000 000

(Unless my memory isn't bailing on me!)

I don't agree.
Keep in mind that over 40% of the english vocabulary is simply words borrowed from latin either directly or through french. English is a very unproductive language, and has been increasing its vocabulary through borrowing words for the last 800 years.
Another reason for this, is that english has basically lost it's ability to create compouds larger than two morphemes, as opposed to swedish, which can create words on up to six morphemes(!).

Also, swedish has grammar forms that english lacks, that imo contributes a lot to preciseness: for example the passive form (wich can be used on practically any verb!), and the movement aspect of prepositions, for example "in" vs "inne", "ner" vs" "nere", "där" vs" dit, "här" vs "hit", etc.
Then there's also the decisive form instead of decisive particle, and a very complex pluralis system which to me sounds more beautiful. English doesn't even have a 2nd singular pronoun!

Ofcourse, this is very subjective, and you are allowed to think whatever you want, but i think swedish is a playful, poetic, and versatile language that gives much more room to express yourself than english. The problem is that most swedish people spend too much time on the internet, and siezes to remember the swedish equivalent of words and starts to borrow the english versions. That's my theory.

Level 17
Just saying! *Runs away*
Do you happen to watch Equals Three (=3)?...
Sounds like you do xD

Anyway, i have no idea if i will continue with this, due to the feedback i got.
I rarely got any nice feedback about the project, and alot of people seems to look at me as if i were stupid when i first announced this project.
I did translate battle.net (not much ingame), and it seems like when i translate ingame material, some strings appear incorrectly, etc.
So i am pretty sure that i wont translate that.

I may release the finished work later, if i feel like doing so..

Status
Not open for further replies.