• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty patch 1.4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Starcraft Patch / New Season! Diablo 3 Offer!

204993-albums5153-picture52341.png

Patch 1.4.2 - Now Available on the PTR

2OCPO03WVQZS1308273943360.jpg

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty patch 1.4.2 is currently in development and now available for testing on the PTR. This patch contains some balance changes, as well as some bug fixes. By participating in the PTR, you'll be among the first to test out the latest changes and help us ensure that when the patch is released, it's of the highest possible quality.

Details on how to access the PTR can be found in the FAQ. As this is a test server, please anticipate uneven game performance, and note that restarts and downtime may occur without warning. Once you've had the chance to try things out, be sure to visit the PTR forum to discuss the patch.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - Patch 1.4.2

Table of Contents:

General
Bug Fixes
Balance​

“Audio Fade” under Sound Options has been renamed to Game Volume During Alerts. Its tooltips have also been changed for clarification.
The fade-in for game sound during alerts changed from .5 seconds to 2 seconds.

Bug Fixes

Fixed a truncation on specific resolution if the current and maximum supplies are 3 digits.
Fixed an issue which prevented footprint from being edited in the Footprint Editor.
Fixed an issue that caused the game to have missing icons and images on low end graphics cards.

Balance

Protoss

Forge
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 1 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 200/200
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 2 has been decreased to 225/225, down from 300/300
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 3 has been decreased to 300/300, down from 400/400
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250​
TERRAN

Ghost
EMP radius has been decreased from 2 to 1.5​

Season 4 Begins

A45VWGNV00OW1311731705939.jpg

Season 4 has arrived! Season 3 milestone rewards will be locked in at this time and bonus pools will reset. Hidden skill ratings used for matchmaking and league placement will carry over from the previous season, so players who have completed placement matches in a previous season will only need to play one new placement match. Don’t forget to review the map changes which are coming in Season 4 as well.

Beginning with Season 4, two changes are coming to future ladder seasons:

• Each season will now last for approximately two months.
• Grandmaster league placement time will be reduced to one week (from two weeks) to account for the reduced season length.

Good luck, have fun!

204993-albums5153-picture52339.png

MSHGVE5UTWBK1319179261154.jpg

With Deathwing’s shadow looming over Azeroth and the mortal realms of Sanctuary steeling for war against the forces of Diablo, the World of Warcraft Annual Pass has arrived to offer WoW subscribers a chance to participate in both apocalyptic conflicts… without breaking the bank.

For a limited time only, players who make a 12-month subscription commitment to World of Warcraft through the WoW Annual Pass will receive the following epic rewards:

Diablo III FREE – Download the digital version via Battle.net for free when the game launches early next year. This is the full game, not a trial edition.
Tyrael’s Charger WoW Flying Mount – Ride for the Archangel of Justice on all current and future characters on a single World of Warcraft account. Tyrael’s Charger will arrive via in-game mail with the upcoming launch of patch 4.3.
Access to the Next WoW Expansion Beta Test – Get a guaranteed spot in the beta test for the next World of Warcraft expansion (at a time to be announced in the future).

You can pay for the WoW Annual Pass on a monthly basis at $14.99 per month or according to the billing plan of your choice. To participate, you must be 18 or older, have a valid credit card, and have registered a full version of World of Warcraft on or before October 18, 2011.

Sign up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass here, and then keep an eye on the World of Warcraft community site or the Diablo III community site for future announcements regarding the launch dates of these bonuses.

For more information on this offer, including eligibility requirements and details on how the World of Warcraft Annual Pass applies to players who plan to purchase the Diablo III: Collector’s Edition, please read the full FAQ.

Last edited:
Protoss

Forge
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 1 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 200/200
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 2 has been decreased to 225/225, down from 300/300
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 3 has been decreased to 300/300, down from 400/400
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250
TERRAN

Ghost
EMP radius has been decreased from 2 to 1.5
Rui's gonna be so happy.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Oh YEAH, finally! Plasma Shield POWAH FTW! *.*

EDIT: lol, hey kael =D

EDIT 2: I don't quite agree with the weapons upgrade cost decrease, but plasma shield and armor upgrades, I'm totally for it. This is because shields make up for 1/3 to half of a Protoss unit's resilience, their cost should not be the same as that of terran armor since it doesn't affect 100% of the hits they take. On the other hand, weapons affect all protoss ground units so they should not cost as little as Zerg upgrades (on the other hand, Protoss does not have a lot of ground, so maybe it's okay).

EDIT 3: Oh and EMP nerf, yeah, I'm really happy xD

Level 22
I will say what I said in GG.net:
They cant reduce EMP any further, this should be enough to stop protoss whine. It will never stop, oh wait. No one should worry about balance because it is pointless to track it when expansion comes and it starts over.

I found out about PTR being available for EU on my birthday, so this was a nice present, it is currently the place where players from all continents can enter.

Level 22
Be a hard core WoW player, get Diablo III for free, this confirms my decision with HotS- stay with RTS genre, be the first to go expansion.

The protoss buffs are probably being tried in preperation for HotS.

Im thinking it's true, some of the changes seem to prepare the community for HoTS and some of the changes there may be in regard to the balance of HotS.

It is nice they returned Meta, Typhoon wasnt bad, good riddance Backwater Gulch. I still want to see also an awesome terrain and good map in ladder like Belshir Beach. Anyway new season, time to wakeup from the ladder sleep and start again cause im the noob again, all my mates Master 1v1..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Then you better get faster :p, besides my format rock =p Or does it!?
I am not too sure why you are using centering so much... For headers, titles and extracts (like images or quotes) its good but for every single piece of text it is getting a bit much. Eithor left of fully justify paragraphs to make them easier to read (more predictable where the lines start).

It is certain that HotS will add new melee maps to show off the new graphics they have made.

Level 26
In my honest opinion EMP radius shouldn't be reduced. It should have restrictions about it's power instead (and yeah I'm with those who agree that EMP nerf was needed ->> see Code S).

EMP: Max of 400 shield points taken (total from units) - no more than 100 per unit;
Max of 400 energy drained (total) - no more than 100 per unit.

Level 26
DSD, you got great idea too, although it could move Ghost a lil bit too further into kind of RPG character - single target assasin.

Anyways, it good that at least they did something with EMP ability. Koreans were talking about that fact for ages, not to mention that Battlenet community was screaming for months ^^
But they should mostly listen to pros, afterall game have to be balanced at first at level, where you can get real money for playing it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'd make EMP cost 60 or 65 energy but drain only 75 (from 100) energy and 40 (from 100?) shields (still with a radius of 2).
The Marauder is not so much imba, it's just annoying, the time record in which they can trash a Nexus is stupid. To me, the Marine is the problem, but the true issue with Terran has always lied in its covers-it-all-techtree and excellent unit synergy, unachievable by any other race.

P.S. -- Went to test the patch on PTR, it is awesome how it's impossible to find a game. With people in it. Seriously, I found none. People use it to test maps like SC2 to SC1 conversions, it's how desperate people get with this map hosting system.

Level 22
^ I dont see a problem at all with EMP energy draining, you've got feedback that also does serious damage, you've got storm that also does serious damage, EMP is made like a combination of these two, it is meant to actually deal some damage at least to protoss. If shield damage had to be reduced to 90 or 80 (80 would still be serious), below? 40? You aren't talking about balance but about complete Protoss favoring. That's not how balancing works, you can't kill an ability with such a huge difference...

Last edited:
Level 26
Dustin Bro was talking about new terran stuff in HotS at first with words: "Terrans got enough utility even now, and we don't want to expand that too much seeing that other races don't match terran in this stuff". Or something similar.
But right now, I see that idea has been abbadoned, since Shreder is utility x 100; not to mention Helion form and that new mech unit.

It's not that other races get less stuff. Just terrans gonna have even more unique openings. Zergs for example don't have even half of such posibilities.

Protoss lack raw power in HotS, they dont need new spellcasters so much.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Terran does not need Ghosts to beat Protoss, so it isn't «complete protoss favoring». 40 shield damage is how much you need to completely take down High Templar shields and snipe him, and it'd still take away 1 storm for each HT hit if you didn't. I just don't like it how Immortals become completely useless against that which they were designed to counter once you EMP them.

I'm curious about the fate of the Marauder. Yes, it is either getting nerfed or replaced entirely, though the Hellion has kinda taken the role of the Firebat with that mode, so I don't see which unit could replace it.

Level 22
^ What? I dont know if you ever do Chargelots but every time I face protoss these meat shield need to die fast, in even army, you are likely to lose, and even with the current EMPing you can still lose, EMP is nowhere imba especially with the range nerf it gets. For the 1st time I see someone claming that you dont need ghosts, vs Templars, Archons really? Omg...

They cannot replace Marauders because they are like stalkers and roaches... Firebat-like is still hellion, it's not meant to be a replacement of the 2nd tier 1 unit which all races have. Units that can get removed are reaper but Warhound will likely go to the Factory as a new unit not replacement. SCBW was like that, War3 TFT was like that.. expansions add 2 new units and could make an upgrade to already existing one.

(why do I have a feeling I have talked about this before, deja vu much?)

Level 14
All thoses histories of balance why you does not play starcraft it is already balanced and beatifuller that starcraft 2.
and in addition you will see the incredible scenario.
I play more to starcraft that to starcraft 2.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
All thoses histories of balance why you does not play starcraft it is already balanced and beatifuller that starcraft 2.
SC1 is only slightly more ballenced than SC2 and that is purly due to its age. It is not "more beautiful" than SC2 as its graphics are flat sprites which I think are not even 32 bit in colour and unsharp due to the low resolution.

Yes SC1 has a lot of scenarios, but are they really that incredible when compared to what SC2 can offer with its breathtaking visuals and amazing gameplay mechanics? The only problem in SC2 currently is that its additional complexity over WC3 makes being poor at understanding the editor produce unplayable maps unlike WC3 where they would somehow occasionally catch on.

Level 21
Well it sounds good though and just wondering on how the Heart of the Swarm patches might look like when its out?
Oh and just curious was there any deal or anything on the Starcraft II Collector's Edition or was there even one?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm hoping that they'll use the latest melee patch definitions in the Heart of the Swarm campaign. I understand why Blizzard does not update any campaign of any game (Warcraft III included) with the latest patch, the balance changes, although small in most cases, could compromise something (if Siege Tanks were nerfed to 35/50 damage from 60/60 on the campaign, the last level would be extremely difficult, if not impossible), and it'd force them to test the campaign(s) they changed all over again.
Still, there's no reason for them not to test the campaign using the latest patch while the game has not been released. It's so annoying when I replay "In Utter Darkness" to find that Phoenixes cannot attack while moving, a quality that players love about them. Let's face it, playing with imba siege tanks in WoL was fun, but how fun is it going to be if we have to face 60 damage tanks against us?^^

Level 22
I play more to starcraft that to starcraft 2.

if we go by that logic, why play new games at all, let's do 8 color games (SC uses 256 colors). SCBW is balanced sure but only Koreans who earn money from it or people who cant buy SC2 still play SCBW. Any serious player who is not a kiddie buys the game. But Garena is the better place to play SCBW just like it is for playing War3.

Campaign would use the first HotS melee patch which would of course, cover all that has been done in WoL melee patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.