• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft Battlecruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So all of you know this is my first model...

I always thought it would be cool to design a starcraft-related map. For fun i looked through a massive amount of excellently made sc models made by others and noticed that there was a unit missing. The Battlecruiser. I died a little. To use in a possible SC map and to benefit others, I tried to make my own.

Here are some screens shots of the model itself, untextured.

I used pure freeware-
War3 Model Editor
Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier
Gimp

54evxi.jpg

3/4ths view of the ship

2m45dm8.jpg

Frontal View of the ship

256te8h.jpg

Side View

2vljmgz.jpg

Front view of the ship firing its Yamoto Canon (not done by me..)

There are many errors with this model and really need help with all of them (contact me for model). These are listed in order of importance.
1)I cant....UV Wrap it. I seriously can't. I have very limit tools and programs and none of them seem to be able to and also my knowledge of wrapping and textures is limited.
2) This is very poorly made, It has a high polycount that could be easily reduced if more of the points were connected and not overlapping.
3)It has no texture..If anyone is willing to help design one that would be amazing otherwise Ill try to whip something up after someone Wraps it.
4) Also the model has no engine animations, or "blue glow" emitting from the cylinders in the back.
5) Proportions. I spent alot of time examining original starcraft cinematic and realistic fan-made material and came up with this design. If anyone has alterations to suggest, please do so.

Finally, A concept of a Battlecruiser (fake texturing. Notice the horrible engines) Orbiting Chau Sara :D
eriq2x.jpg

All help/comments appreciated. Ask me for the model.

Level 2
..Grr Nice Model

You just had to out-do me...

Personally, I thought the new battlecruiser looked so funny. Like, as soon as Blizzard hit 3d, everything looked more cartoony and less realistic like the original sprites. But the one you did looks sick, you pulled it off pretty nice -_-

I wanted to design a model of the old-school bc, the that i obsessed over in the cinematic when i was like...what 9? I'll probably end up redoing the model over break when i have more time.

Well, i think your BC will turn out much better than the one that TheTerran linked, actually. And it's a good thing the database gets updated to better match todays graphic standards. ;)
I agree that the first sc2 units were just too cartoony looking, when i saw the terran intro video the first time i was just waiting for a new terran unicorn tank. But blizzard have responded to the critique, and all the new models has more of that gritti look we all love.
They are still two different models though, so i think this is still very usefull. Good luck!

Level 2
Yes, though you know we already have one:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/battlecruiser-47611/?prev=c=13&r=20&d=list&page=3

Anyway I'm also looking forward to the SC2 one + Blizzard improved the texture so imo SC2 BC > SC1 BC.

Thanks for pointing that out..but...

Thats the whole reason why im making this model. The skin looks..really ugly. I have nothing against max666, this is obviously an earlier model. But i wanted a model i could zoom in on and size to like 200 and use in movies and cinematics.

Also..You cant really compare the textures of SC1 BC to SC2...because there is an 11 year difference. Which, technologically speaking, is HUUGE. And its not so much the texture that im hating, but just the model. The little "top" they added to the back just doesnt make sense to me. However, these were some seexxyy looking bcs.

Level 22
Yes, yours would be better than the Beta,. I even made an attempt to make a better texture cause this shitty texture for all these years of using the model...but phailed. It's good after so many years one can now choose b-n a good quality SC1 BC and awesome SC2 BC and dump the Beta version to forget.

Level 2
The first textured BC is here!

qsmxro.jpg

Again, please post helpful comments.

I pretty much putty a metal texture over the model and didnt even UV wrap =/.
If anyone can help me with that that would be amazing. I made the engine myself, theres no animation but Itl do.

Im also aware that its...Green. Ill get right on it

Level 9
Seems like your wrap is a bit off... Parts of the texture are being strecthed wayyy out of porportion and creating verical lines down the sides of the model which are unappealing...

Try applying a checkerboard texture to test your mapping.

...Otherwise a lot better than i could do for wc3 w/o max 9 :D

Level 9
I've been looking for this one for so long! I hope you can get it to look like the SC battlecruiser, with proper animations textures and particles.

Without help from people with proper tools, I'm afraid you won't pull it off.. try to find someone to give you a hand, perhaps in the request section?

Level 23
Bump :D

I'd be willing to help with the mesh, and the wrapping. :) Milkshape grants me such freedom. Now, I would like to suggest that the sides of the ship (areas where the texture stretches) be a seperate peice. It will allow me to get it properly wrapped so the texture doesn't stretch so badly, and I can easily merge it back on once I am sure it wraps well. That way, we can have a nice looking battelecruiser from the top, bottom, and every side! :D

I just finished the Yamato birth model, so I am compelled to help both cruisers where possible to prepare them for the Yamato upgrade. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.