• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Spell] Spells stop working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
So this is a problem i for some reason keep running into and i have no idea why. On a large map I am making, occasionally certain abilities will stop working.

For example:
  • Flamespitter
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Flamespitter - TINKER
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet H_ABILITY_FLAMEangle = (Facing of Tinker 0019 <gen>)
      • Set VariableSet H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[0] = (Position of Tinker 0019 <gen>)
      • Set VariableSet H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[1] = (H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[0] offset by 75.00 towards H_ABILITY_FLAMEangle degrees.)
      • Set VariableSet H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[2] = (H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[0] offset by 225.00 towards H_ABILITY_FLAMEangle degrees.)
      • Unit - Create 1 DUMMY for (Owner of Tinker 0019 <gen>) at H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[1] facing H_ABILITY_FLAMEangle degrees
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Flamespitter - TINKER dummycast to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Flamespitter - TINKER dummycast for (Last created unit) to (Level of Flamespitter - TINKER for Tinker 0019 <gen>)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Brewmaster - Breath Of Fire H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[2]
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[0])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_H_ABILITY_FLAMEspitter[2])
Now when this ability stopped working, I could no longer trigger the ability "Breath of Fire" in ANY way, aside from manually casting the ability from a unit. This just happened again with Carrion Swarm, so now all "Carrion Swarm" based abilities in my map stopped working.

The thing that is most confusing to me is that it worked perfectly for a few weeks, and now suddenly it won't work at all....

Also, I decided to include this example instead of any of the "Carrion Swarm" based abilities because this is the ONLY ability based off of "Breath of Fire" in the entire map.

How can i fix this?

Last edited:
Level 13
Sounds like you're facing a problem someone else has experienced a few weeks ago - dummies not being capable of casting certain abilities through Issue*Order calls. I suggest that you read this post and then this one and check if there's any channel ability doing the same to you.

Level 1
Sounds like you're facing a problem someone else has experienced a few weeks ago - dummies not being capable of casting certain abilities through Issue*Order calls. I suggest that you read this post and then this one and check if there's any channel ability doing the same to you.

I read through those posts, and it seems that's an issue with the ability "channel", which could explain my carrionswarm abilities not working.

However the ability i posted is actually based off of Beserk, not channel (so it can be cast while moving). It is the ONLY ability based off of Beserk in my map. I couldn't imagine the channel bug effecting it...

As for the Channel bug, if I'm understanding this correctly, I would need to go through every Channel-based ability and change their Base Order ID's to an appropriate ability for the targeting type and it should (I'm assuming) be a unique ID? is that correct?

Last edited:
Level 13
As for the Channel bug, if I'm understanding this correctly, I would need to go through every Channel-based ability and change their Base Order ID's to an appropriate ability for the targeting type and it should (I'm assuming) be a unique ID? is that correct?
Not necessarily a unique Base Order ID. It should be, at least, compatible with channel's target type.

However the ability i posted is actually based off of Beserk, not channel (so it can be cast while moving). It is the ONLY ability based off of Beserk in my map. I couldn't imagine the channel bug effecting it...
I was referring to the dummy's Breath of Fire ability. Isn't there any channel ability using Breath of Fire's base order ID while its target type is something different? (instant, unit only or point only).

The trigger itself is ok apart from the Tinker 0019 thing - I'd use Triggering Unit instead, but that's not the reason why it's not working. Just to be sure, put a couple of debug text messages in your trigger and check if it's in fact running properly. Also, check if there's any other trigger affecting your dummy unit once enters the playable map area, etc.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then you could post a demo map with your spell reproducing the same behavior.

Level 1
The trigger itself is ok apart from the Tinker 0019 thing - I'd use Triggering Unit instead, but that's not the reason why it's not working.
Yea, the only reason it looks like that right now is because I was attempting to troubleshoot by basically trying to like... hardcode it to that ability lmao, i was struggling.
I was referring to the dummy's Breath of Fire ability. Isn't there any channel ability using Breath of Fire's base order ID while its target type is something different? (instant, unit only or point only).
Oh damn. I must have misunderstood the original post you linked! I found a Instant (No Target) point type with Carrion Swarm's ID and another with Breath of Fire's. They both work perfectly now. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.