• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell with a dummy unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to make a unit ability that has the same effect as Scroll of Protection - increased armor for nearby allied units. Due to a problem with multicasting, I have to do this with a trigger rather than simply a custom ability based on Item Temporary Armor Bonus. Here's what I've tried:

• Seal of Protection
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Seal of Protection (Paragon)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Casting Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Seal of Protection (Dummy) to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Druid Of The Claw - Roar
      • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
Seal of Protection (Paragon) is a custom ability based on Roar, with damage increase set to zero. Seal of Protection (Dummy) is based on Item Temporary Armor Bonus with the order string "roar" added for "Use/Turn on." When I cast the spell, the buff is applied but no armor increase occurs.

I've looked for tutorials on how to use dummy units and found nothing helpful. This is my first attempt at using a dummy unit and I really don't know what I'm doing here. How should I get this working?

Level 4
What's wrong with just using Roar? It has an armor bonus field.

Wow, it actually does have an armor bonus field! I've looked over it several times and always missed that somehow. I guess because I was looking for the word "armor" and it says "defense increase" instead.

The only ability that let's you change the Order ID of itself is Channel.

Does this mean that changing the Order ID will not function properly? Because the editor does allow me to change it.

Level 37
Does this mean that changing the Order ID will not function properly? Because the editor does allow me to change it.

The longer you use the editor, the more you realize how redundant some of the data fields are (which is why most people recommend you just trigger a spell so you can have full control of what it does). Take for example "Lightning Effects". There are only about a handful of abilities that actually change from this, but almost every single spell gives you the option to change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.