• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So we all have played tower defense and hero defense, I feel the next is Spell Defense. Basic concept is that every player will pick their elements, every player get to pick 2 elements, every element has its own synergy with each other. examples: wind and water makes a cold effect, water and lightning make bouncing effects and wind and lightning make a purge effect. The elements are fire, water, wind, earth, and lightning. I plan to add more elements but looking to keep it simple at first. The runners will hit up different arrows across the map before ending at the center. similar to cube defense, gem td and many more. I plan to have mazing buildings to add some elements to the game for some strat to the game. I plan to have an overall constant Dot on the field, like if it was fire or water have fire on the ground or rain. just a constant dot and then have random effects that deal damage in a medium size AOE in random part of the field or have a chance to target a random unit within his side of the field and deal damage or effect. their are no towers only mazing building with no effects. Dont look at it as much as spells, as more of controlling the elements. Although they dont have control, just random effects, but would like to have the player to have some control beside his maze. although I dont want it to be a single click, just maybe a one time use effect per round.

Looking to bounce ideas around here before starting the project, looking to work on synergies for some of the elements.

Fire + Water: Steam
Fire + Wind: Wild Fire(Increases Fires AOE and Damage)
Fire + Earth: Lava
Fire+ Lightning: Electrical Burn
Water + Wind: Blizzard
Water + Earth: Swamp
Water + Lightning: Electrical Storm(adds bounce effects to lightning)
Wind + Earth: Dust
Wind + Lightning: Purge
Earth + Lightning: Magnetism

so I have a few that I am unsure for a synergy theme but looking for criticism maybe some spells to add to the game, what ever you want to add to idea.
NEW

I want to add another element to the list
Etheral: using the forces from the other side to take on your enemies, basicly neither good or bad but working it into the other elements is a little difficult.

Fire:Dot over the whole field
1: Ember: Small Aoe Burst damage that randomly flares up on the field.
2: Immobilization: Chance to add Immoblization to a unit to damage nearby units. can only happen once every 10 seconds.
3: Fire Rats: Adds X rats to the field that leaves a trail of fire behind them that last X seconds. Rats are have no collision

Water:Dot over the whole field
1: Gush: shoots water out of the ground in random areas dealing AOE damage and stun.
2: Wave: randomly shoots a wave across the field damaging all units in its path.
3: Whirlpool: Randomly makes a whirlpool to damage units as long as they stand in it.

Wind:Dot over the whole field
1: Blades of Wind: Basicly Stampede(builder ability!)
2: Tornado: tosses units randomly in the air and damages them, move randomly around the field
3: Envelope: surrounds the tower with swirling wind that damages nearby units when next to it.

Earth:Dot over the whole field
1: Crack: Earths plates split causing a crack and damaging/stunning all units that fall into it
2: Quake: shakes the earth causing all units to loosen their footing and slow down their movementspeed
3: Landslide: small rocks fall in a random area dealing damage to all caught inside.

Lightning:Dot over the whole field
1: Thunder: small chance to target an enemy and deal damage to them, happens every x seconds
2: Static Field: small aoe that last for a short time, damaging all who walk though it
3: Static orb: small orb that flys around shocking the first unit it runs into and disipating afterwards

Steam:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Wild Fire:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Lava:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Electrical Burn:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Blizzard:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Electrical Storm:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Dust:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Purge:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Magnetism:Dot over the whole field.
1:
2:
3:

Was short on time, but anyone that wants add an ability or maybe help me with the new element, leave a comment.

Last edited:
Level 17
So we all have played tower defense and hero defense, I feel the next is Spell Defense. Basic concept is that every player will pick their elements, every player get to pick 2 elements, every element has its own synergy with each other. examples: wind and water makes a cold effect, water and lightning make bouncing effects and wind and lightning make a purge effect. The elements are fire, water, wind, earth, and lightning. I plan to add more elements but looking to keep it simple at first. The runners will hit up different arrows across the map before ending at the center. similar to cube defense, gem td and many more. I plan to have mazing buildings to add some elements to the game for some strat to the game.

Looking to bounce ideas around here before starting the project, looking to work on synergies for some of the elements.

Fire + Water: Steam
Fire + Wind: Wild Fire(Increases Fires AOE and Damage)
Fire + Earth: N/A
Fire+ Lightning: Electrical Burns
Water + Wind: Cold
Water + Earth: Swamp
Water + Lightning: Electrical Storm(adds bounce effects to lightning)
Wind + Earth: N/A
Wind + Lightning: Purge
Earth + Lightning: N/A

so I have a few that I am unsure for a synergy theme but looking for criticism maybe some spells to add to the game, what ever you want to add to idea.

Fire+Earth = Lava
Wind + Earth = Dust
Earth + Lightning = Magnetism

How are you gonna use the elements, like normal towers like EleTD?
Or what's the idea

Level 7
Fire+Earth = Lava
Wind + Earth = Dust
Earth + Lightning = Magnetism

How are you gonna use the elements, like normal towers like EleTD?
Or what's the idea

That is an awesome idea. thanks naro

I plan to have an overall constant Dot on the field, like if it was fire or water have fire on the ground or rain. just a constant dot and then have random effects that deal damage in a medium size AOE in random part of the field or have a chance to target a random unit within his side of the field and deal damage or effect. their are no towers only mazing building with no effects.

dont look at it as much as spells, as more of controlling the elements. although they dont have contorl, just random effects, but would like to have the player have some control beside his maze. although I dont want it to be a single click, just maybe a one time use effect

Level 17
Hmm.. this is just a thought.
You could make a unit for each player, like a wisp.
And several Phoenix Fire-abilities for each element, if you set the range of the abilities to 250 or something it gives a small AOE of damage, which the players have to position.
And you can add a lumber gain every 5 or 10 levels to give the players the possibility to upgrade their damage or create another wisp.

By the way if you need a terrainer just tell me what type of areas you want people to play in, tileset and ammount of players ^^

Level 10
What I would like to see would be something like every player has 1 tower.
You have to choose the two elements and your tower gets 3 spellbooks (1 for each "pure" elemental spells and 1 for the combined spells) all books start out with a few number of spells and over time you get some kind of money or whatever so you can upgrade the spellbooks to gain more spells.

Some spells could affect the path that the creeps would take or stop them for a short while. Example: earth could create a circle of rock around a cluster of enemies trapping them for a little while and then use fire to burn them to ashes.

This would involve some tactics (timing of abilities combined with positioning) and not just the usual place a bunch of towers in a certain pattern that everyone uses and let the creeps run back and forth while they are dying.

On the upgrading of the spells you could make that to get a certain spell in the combined spellbook you need to have level X on one of the pure elements and level Y on the other pure element. And by having 3 separate spellbooks you can have up to 33 spells to choose from when you're playing (no matter what element combo you're going for) giving the player more choice that would lead to more tactics.

Level 17
The idea is good, imo.
But it takes alot of work haha.
But I suppose,
Creating some wisps with aoe dmg (like my idea),
a spellbook unit with spells (your idea)
and some builder that can create mazes (original idea)
Could make a pretty intense gameplay with alot of micromanagement and tactics.

Level 7
Honestly, i think having the builder double as a caster would be a good way to have some element to the game that is not just hope and patterns. Although i decided on how buying will go, every level, everyone get X lumber, lumber can be used to buy mazing towers or a new ability. gold will be used for upgrades to those new abilties and you get gold from killing the units. Naro if you would like, i would not mind help on terrain since I had planned to change the terrain according to what element you go with. Also you can keep pure elements as well, pure elements deal double the damage but dont have the same debuff or buff effects. Also I plan to add some creep effects. like fast runners or slow high HP units. All and all the feed back is nice and i guess now is time to start working on the spells, whether they are random effects on the field or active on builder?

Level 7
well i have yet to work on it till i get some what of a clear idea but now that I have a decent base to build a game on, I plan to just have each field made already on the map so it will be a simple copy and paste, and hide the zones off the screen/minimap. but Lets say water, add shallow water and rain effect, or lava, new tile set and some doodads, and so forth, but let me know which way you might want to help. give me a day or two to start the terrain. work alot the next 5 days

Level 7
seems like i will have to change tiles through triggers but either way I think your terraining for your game is awesome, although it is a simple pathing terrain but it wouldn't hurt if i had some help.

Level 7
haha better then my work, but naro want to help out with the terrain? i am sure with these themes you could make something interesting, plus i have no problem adding your name to the credits. either way got any ideas for some spells? trying to avoid spells that move around the units positions, so they dont get phased into a wall or so they dont get pulled though walls.

Level 7
here is the basic design.

Attachments

• Basic Mapp.gif
    Basic Mapp.gif
    250.7 KB · Views: 83
Level 7
i used the grid to keep the sizing the same, but let me know what you think. simple but i am sure for swamp and a few others, it can be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.