• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Spell Caushing Crashes Sometimes

Level 23
Hey guys, this is a spell that destroys mana and HP from an enemy unit, while also converting HP back to the caster.

The destroy HP part is from a modified version of shadow strike from the object editor--- the destroy mana and regain HP part is from this trigger.

I have noticed there is like a 1/6 chance that it causes the map to crash when used. I can't figure it out why this happens. All I know is, this is more aparent on 1.32+, since I have not seen comments about this spell causing crashes on earlier versions.
Many thanks if anyone can help figure out what is going on, or what condition (enemy having not enough HP/mana etc) is causing the crash.

• ashen Q
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to 精神重创
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set mana of (Target unit of ability being cast) to ((Mana of (Target unit of ability being cast)) - (50.00 x ((Real((Level of 精神重创 for (Casting unit)))) + 1.00)))
      • Unit - Set life of (Casting unit) to ((Life of (Casting unit)) + (50.00 x ((Real((Level of 精神重创 for (Casting unit)))) + 1.00)))

Last edited:
Level 23
Hi. I searched up shadow strike bug, and found this:

They seem to say that setting casting time to 0 causes serious lag.

Just to confirm, the spell I am referring to has 0 for casting time and 0.01 for duration. I think the person who made it wanted it to be a single time DPS, and not damage over time. Can I ask, how does the spell need to be modified to keep it single damage (no damage over time) but remove the crashes that come from this?

Thanks duckfarter

Level 23
Given you're already enhancing it with triggers, you might as well deal the damage via triggers and use a safer spell as a base, like Channel
Preferably would like to know how to just make small changes to the object data to make it stable, as A) I have 0 expertise in anything related to spells and B) this is someone else's map, I am just trying to make it stable since for some reason it causes constant crashes on 1.32+

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Preferably would like to know how to just make small changes to the object data to make it stable, as A) I have 0 expertise in anything related to spells and B) this is someone else's map, I am just trying to make it stable since for some reason it causes constant crashes on 1.32+
Change the ability to something else and see if it still crashes. I find it unlikely that anything you've done on the ability itself is the source of the problem.

I suspect it is tied to Casting Time field since I recall reading it somewhere that the duration should never be set to 0, but my mind might be fuzzy on this.

You can apply a casting time higher than the duration so it never damage more than once if I recall, which is sort of hide the nature of the shadow strike. Say it has 15 seconds, put 15.01 second for the cast time.