• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Speed up unit movement in Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
My game is running in Fast mode (max speed) but the units take a while to get from one place to the next. They don't move fluidly like Diablo 3.

anyone know how to force the game speed beyond the max? I went in the registry and put a huge value like 1M for gamespeed but didn't really do much.

If anyone has a solution for this that would be super :goblin_boom:

Level 2
Thanks for the tip mate! So you just download it and it gets automatically patched into Frozen Throne and ROC?

Also do I save this in a specific folder or just the game folder?

Level 2
What's your RAM card (1G~) or try to reduce the graphism of the game...

My laptop that I'm playing it on is more than enough to max it out. GTX 460M 1.5 GB VRAM and this bad boy can max out Titan Quest no problem 60+ fps 1080p so it goes without saying that it would easily run Warcraft 3 maxed. Btw my fps are around 200 fps and my game is maxed on all in-game video settings, plus Nvidia Control Panel AF (16x) and for AA (16x CSAA) and it's in 1920x1200. So its not the fps thats the issue its the way the units were initially designed to move.

IN Diablo 3 for example all the characters have 60fps+ fluid movements from one area of the map to the next.. But in Warcraft 3 when you order a unit to move from one side to the next it takes a while, it's not fast like in Diablo 3.

Level 2
It's part of the internal form of Warcraft 3 movement speed system, AFAIR.

So this unit movement speed system is hard coded in the game and isnt affected by hardware much? In other words with better hardware the map scrolling is blazing fast but the units still move the same regardless what hardware you run?

I wonder if there is a setting in regedit that could accelerate the unit movement speed so they move more like characters do in Diablo 3 (60 fps movement).

Whats interesting is the spell effects are 60fps but the units sure take their sweet time to get from one place to the next lol.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Living_L393nd, are you using Windows 10 by any chance?

There is an incompatibility bug with Warcraft III's Direct3D8 mode and Windows 10's Direct3D8 implementation. The result is broken gamma with poor and unstable frame rates when playing in Direct3D8 mode. There currently is no trustworthy fix for the Direct3D8 mode (one might come in the distant future) however you can run Warcraft III in OpenGL mode perfectly fine (working gamma with high and consistent frame rates).

Warcraft III's movement system is far from perfect. It only issues a micro mode to one unit per tick per player. Micro moves are short, linear move orders which act as a buffer until the algorithm revisits the unit to give it a more up-to-date movement order. This is why there is a low hard coded limit of unit movement speed of 522 or something there about since beyond that the micro move range would not be enough for the unit to move constantly. This means that if you order 50 units to move at once there will be a highly noticeable delay from when the first starts moving to the last getting moving.

StarCraft II fixed this a lot. All units ordered to move begin moving instantly. Any number of units can be ordered to move at the same time and they will all begin moving at the same time. There is no maximum speed limitation, if you were to give a unit 200 speed (equal to 25,600 speed in WC3) it will literally cross any melee map in under 2 seconds.

Level 2
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I actually tried running it in OpenGL mode and it didn't really fix the smoothness. In fact I actually noticed a slight decrease in graphics quality (AA in particular) on units. So I disabled OpenGL and the AA was crisp again.

Is this bug present in Windows 7 DirectX implementation too?

Living_L393nd, are you using Windows 10 by any chance?

There is an incompatibility bug with Warcraft III's Direct3D8 mode and Windows 10's Direct3D8 implementation. The result is broken gamma with poor and unstable frame rates when playing in Direct3D8 mode. There currently is no trustworthy fix for the Direct3D8 mode (one might come in the distant future) however you can run Warcraft III in OpenGL mode perfectly fine (working gamma with high and consistent frame rates).

Warcraft III's movement system is far from perfect. It only issues a micro mode to one unit per tick per player. Micro moves are short, linear move orders which act as a buffer until the algorithm revisits the unit to give it a more up-to-date movement order. This is why there is a low hard coded limit of unit movement speed of 522 or something there about since beyond that the micro move range would not be enough for the unit to move constantly. This means that if you order 50 units to move at once there will be a highly noticeable delay from when the first starts moving to the last getting moving.

StarCraft II fixed this a lot. All units ordered to move begin moving instantly. Any number of units can be ordered to move at the same time and they will all begin moving at the same time. There is no maximum speed limitation, if you were to give a unit 200 speed (equal to 25,600 speed in WC3) it will literally cross any melee map in under 2 seconds.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is this bug present in Windows 7 DirectX implementation too?
Only Windows 10 suffers such a bug. It uses a different implementation of Direct3D 8 which WC3 is not fully compatible with.

Make sure vertical synchronization is disabled in the graphic driver. It is possible it is locking to 30 FPS or some multiple because WC3 might just be falling short of 60 FPS due to software reasons. If it is not disabled then try enabling it, maybe you suffer from inconsistent frame rate.

WC3 should appear smoothing. When running at 60 FPS everything should animate at 60 FPS with interpolation occurring when appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.