• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Competition #1 Poll! REMADE

Which SFX pack is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, so you did notice... Wait, did I say that out loud?

Anyways, I'm voting for Daelin this time. His effects are the best, period. The wrapping on those planes is gorgeous and incredibly inventive.

Pyritie's effects are nice, simple... but some of them are a bit weird, as in, they don't seem to fit with the geometry or some other part of the effct. The falling ice block, and the Ubirth is great though. In other words, I just don't dig certain SFX in that pack.

JetFang's are (as usual) great. But (as usual) they're made of big tall particle spires and (AS USUAL) big shockwaves (AS USUAL) . They're also made from premade SFX (AS USUAL). Not new enough for me.

DVO's are nice all around, no real comments on them. DonDustin's are a great start, but don't reach the same amount of quality the other entries do.

On another note, my entry is absolutly perfect, and should be your first choice no matter what. I can't vote for myself, so that's why I chose Daelin's entry. :D

Level 35
I just want to ask one question. Can I ask my friends to vote or not? It not, then that's fine. If so, I will call them up. Btw, I vote for Pyritie because he implemented both geometry and particles flawlessly. Daelin's effects are incredible but imo, they're the same old uv wrapping stuff again. Dan and Don's are good starters. WILL's are nice but the effects look too generic and compared to other "ice" sfx in warcraft, they are different. I think my models are fine because how can u help it if you're in love with something and you can't stop making it?

Level 11
Oooh goood... let the show begin! Some comments before I cast my vote.

Jetfang, last time you voted for Will because it was realistic, this time for Pyrite because of realistic implementation, while Will's pack was too generic. I can see just how consistant you are in your decisions. I don't really care, it's your vote, but just saying, as an observation. Oh, and don't worry, I have nothing personal with you, and I ain't starting a war here.

You also mentioned my "old UV mapping stuff". I don't think it's that old to make it obsolete, hon. You're using the same MDL modifications ever since. Are they old? Of course they are, but as long as you can create effects you consider effective with it, you'll continue using it. Same here! The technique is effective, I can come up with some new spicy surfaces made from non-custom textures, I don't see why changing that "old trick". And btw, Frozen Orb does not use "that trick", Glaciar Aura definitely has much more than the base (including the crystals) and Frost Nova has nothing but a short shimmer which uses the circular UVMapping (everything else in the effect is made out of particles). So in my opinion, you are the obsolete one, by using modified Blizzard Effects. But hell, that's just me. :)

So my vote goes to WILL, because based on originality and consistancy, his effects have that something which makes them a pack, in contrast to the other packs. Sorry Pyritie, you were really close from the originality point of view, but your effects are simply too ghostly and blurry. They need more... how to call it... substance. But nevertheless, great job everyone! It is quite a competition, and this will be really interesting. :)

-Daelin

Level 11
They are your design so it's pretty hard to come up with competent improvements without some thorough thinking and planning. But for example look at the ice cube. Due to the fact that you probably used additive material (did not look at the MDL files but from what I see that's what I say you've been using) it lacks the "ice" substance. I'd rather say it looks like ghostly ice. A positive element about that model however would be its shape. So don't take my comment above personally, as I just stated why my vote went for WILL and not for you. You two were really close in my opinion.

-Daelin

Level 2
I am not a modeler so I may not have the experience required to criticise these models properly, so I'll just vote the models that look the best in my opinion - Daelin's models. I think they are just great and if I would have some project I would surely use them :D.

Level 12
After going through them all, i'm going with Daelin, I thought his were definetly the most diverse, professional and visually stunning.

Will's were definetly a very close second, followed by Jetfango 3rd place.

So my vote goes to WILL, because based on originality and consistancy, his effects have that something which makes them a pack, in contrast to the other packs. Sorry Pyritie, you were really close from the originality point of view, but your effects are simply too ghostly and blurry. They need more... how to call it... substance. But nevertheless, great job everyone! It is quite a competition, and this will be really interesting. :)

I'm flattered. :)

@JetFang: Don't get me wrong here, your effects are great, if not, gorgeous to look at. I just like to see variety and new styles once in a while. It's your choice whether you want to try new things, and in any case your effects are always going to be great.

Overall, I think this compo went extremely well. We have new contestants and a few surprises. I didn't think Pyritie was that good with SFX... We hadn't seem much SFX from him, so it was hard to know.

Level 35
Wow, seems like Daelin is just attacking me... Anyway, yeah it's really hard to create a new variety of sfx when you have exhausted every particle trick in the book (even ones I've come up with). My knowlege over animation is terribly limited so I simply can't make anything "new". And did I say Frost Orb uses the UV Wrapping trick? My bad. I meant to say your Frost Nova and Frost Shield etc. And why are you calling me obsolete? Seems more like an attack doesn't it. I merely compared you with me in defense to the statements that the public says about me being "unoriginal." Alot of your models consist of that UV Wrapping Trick which, don't get me wrong, is good but yet also repetitive like my SFX. I don't want to start a war either but the way you've been acting ever since I did something wrong has been ridiculous. You're like attacking everyone and that's not cool. Well enough has been said.

As far as I know, there could have been a few more contestants such as Donut3.5 and Callahan who are both good at SFX modelling. Unfortunately, they both didn't make anything. Till the next contest! =)

Great entries. I was really stuck on Daelin, WILL, and DvO.

I guess I just liked the eye candiness of DvO's and the overall awesomeness.

WILL's effects were realistic and awesome as well.

Daelin's were nicely made, looked clean and neat, and were very creative.

DvO got my vote though, I guess some of his stuff stuck out a bit more for me.

Level 19
Casting my vote again for Daelin.
The glaciar aura is my favorite.

Otherwise, my second vote would go to Will and after him to pyritie.
Altough Dan has some nice models too.
Everyone did a good job, and it is always hard to make a choise.

Anyway, JetFangInferno gains nothing from me.
Don't ask me to vote for you, try to have a FAIR poll.

~- Heero

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

No, this will be decided like the other modeling contests: a poll only.

Level 1
Anyway, JetFangInferno gains nothing from me.
Don't ask me to vote for you, try to have a FAIR poll.

~- Heero

Great mentality there moron! In your eyes, a FAIR poll is unfair because someone ASKED you to vote for them. That philosophy defeats the total purpose of campaigning as well as the standard voting system. And if anything, your small comment was there to bash Jet's honesty value and promote Daelin. That itself is a form of (illegal) campaigning, showing everyone how much of a hypocrite you are.

With that said, a poll should allow anyone to vote. Everyone has their own opinions and their own view of the same situation. Voting should not reside only in active posters but avid readers as well. Just my 2 cents.

PS: This guy has 1 post but was allowed to vote for Daelin, yet others can not? Conspiracy much? lol jk dunt ban

I am not a modeler so I may not have the experience required to criticise these models properly, so I'll just vote the models that look the best in my opinion - Daelin's models. I think they are just great and if I would have some project I would surely use them :D.

Level 11
Difference is that Smith has been a member of the community for a long time, not to mention a veteran on multiple Warcraft 3 communities (mainly TheHelper forums). I recommend you make comments next time only when you are sure about what you're saying, rather than make false accusations about me.

As for Heero's post, I had nothing to do with it, believe what you want. It's not a campaign against him, and for me, as what you would think, but rather his opinion. Please do not just interpret everything the way you want, thank you!

Nevertheless, thanks to all those who voted for me. And of course, to all those who have looked over my work. :)

-Daelin

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Drop this whole thing now, I mean it. Just get to voting and discussing the effects.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Yours were my second choice to be honest, I just enjoyed Daelin's style; it was similar to Warcraft's style.

Level 1
Just a clarification of my lenghthy post.

Difference is that Smith has been a member of the community for a long time, not to mention a veteran on multiple Warcraft 3 communities (mainly TheHelper forums). I recommend you make comments next time only when you are sure about what you're saying, rather than make false accusations about me.

I know what I am saying. Doesn't matter if he is a veteran on multiple WC3 forums, he can easily be considered your "friend" who helped you. There are no false accusations, I am merely restating what has been said and what was being implied. If you were offended by a restatement of someone else's words, then I am clearly not at fault for "stating the obvious."

As for Heero's post, I had nothing to do with it, believe what you want. It's not a campaign against him, and for me, as what you would think, but rather his opinion. Please do not just interpret everything the way you want, thank you!

I never said you had anything to do with his post. I just wanted to tell Hero that his post was merely for bashing others and as well, contradicting himself. He doesn't want people campaigning but he, himself, is making a biased post and promoting another's cause. I do not see why anyone but Hero would take offense of this but.. If any offense was taken, I am sorry and wish to be forgiven for my careless words.

Takkaki, there's a slight difference between getting your friends to all make accounts just to vote for you, and having a person with a single post vote for you.
Also, when polls are this small, getting "a few" friends would be like a couple hundred thousand extra votes in a presidential campaign.
--donut3.5--

You have a point there. But in contrast, you can not ask people "from the forum" to vote for you? That seems to be the popular mentality around here. Anyhow, since there were no rules nor any perquisites stated for the contestants and voters- it should be obvious that anyone would ask others to vote for them. IMO, contestants should not be penalized for doing something not against the rules because the responsibility of the problem resides in those who set up the poll. It's not "unfair" because the voting process was flawed (no offense intended)

After throughly looking through all the submissions, I really enjoyed Pyritie's Ice warp but Daelin's Glacier Aura really caught my eye. On the other hand Will's effects were the most realistic of all the other submissions while Jet's effects were the most crisp. If I could vote, I would vote for Jet. Although his effects were cliche, they were most eye-catching out of all the other submissions. Again that is my own opinion as a frequent rts gamer and I have no experience in modeling.

-Takkaki

Nevertheless, thanks to all those who voted for me. And of course, to all those who have looked over my work. :)

lol yur welcome

Level 1
Nah, we get new users voting in contest polls all the time. It's nothing new.

Yeah, it happens in any poll set up in any forums. I moderate other forums so I have experience on the subject. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone (other than hero) but I wanted to make a point including clarification of said materials. Since I can't vote, this will be my last post here on this thread but I'll try being active in the Concept Art forum(s) because it seems a bit neglected o_O

Good luck on your contest and your future modeling carreers!

-Takkaki

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The winner is Daelin, congratulations.

Second and third go to JetFangInferno and Pyritie respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.