• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Spell] Something like Firefly (from DotA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdm

hdm

Level 9
The spell I need help is something like Firefly (GUI). When you walk you leave something (maybe fire, or not) behind you, damaging enemies per second. This "fire" disappears after 1 second. If I know right, to do this you have to create the the fire every x seconds on your position, but then how can it damage enemies and how can it vanish after 1 second ?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Ok, you can do this in many ways.

To keep things simple I would do the following.

1. createt a dummy unit with a fire model, make sure to add locust to the unit to make it untargetable.
2. every second create the dummy unit at every caster's location. Detect all casters by using a unit group to make it MUI. Make sure to add a 1 second genetic expiration timer once you spawned the dummy.
3. pick all units of type dummy and then damage every unit within X unis.

Reactions: hdm

hdm

hdm

Level 9
I understood all except the number 2 second part, Detect all caster. How to do it ?

Level 9
Create a dummy unit with immolation (spelled correctly?).
Then every x second create this unit at the casters position and remove this unit after x second.

I think this can be done pretty simple in GUI with local variables and timers.

Reactions: hdm

hdm

hdm

Level 9
thx for the help. I knew it was something like creating dummies every second (only this I knew).

Level 21
This ability can be done without triggers entirely. Basically you'll need the ability "Locust Swarm" and you'll make it produce units that have Locust and Permanent immolation as abilities. The produced units need negative life regeneration(hold down shift when opening the box) so they'll die after a time. The unit would have 0 speed and no attacks, so it just stands where it spawned until it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.