• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Something I noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Follow these two links:

http://www.forums.hiveworkshop.com/showthread.php?t=30083
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=89308

Notice striking similarities?

Now look at the descriptions for wc3c forums and rules side by side with those for the Hive. Remarkably similar. Looks just like someone is copying while trying to make it look like they aren't. The content and order is almost always the same, just a few of the words have been changed.

For example, on both sites, both Vex and Archi decided to put this in bold (with Vex's predating Archi's):

We will not accept any complains about a tutorial submission being moved to the "Graveyard", and should the complains turn periodic they will result in the thread being deleted and the user being banned from our forums.

Complaints about a resource being added to The Graveyard will not be accepted, and if they turn periodic they will result in the thread being closed, the user being banned and eventually if they get too frequent the section will be closed for posting again.

<Ralle> let's just say that the people who wrote the stuff on wc3s did a good job
<Griffen> Wc3c, you mean?
<Ralle> I mean wc3c

(I've missed out 2 irrelevent lines from someone else in the channel)

If you take from something, you should give credit. You shouldn't lie about it.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I wont say that I dont know of the rules of Wc3Campaigns, because I know them very well. And I know that Wc3Campaigns and The Hive Workshop are similar/identical to eachother at various places.

But, I can assure you of that our rules goes for The Hive Workshop, and was made specifically for the Hive and should be observed by all of the Hive users.
No rules from Wc3Campaigns was simply "taken" and used for The Hives' structure.

Although, I fully admit that when we made some of the rules here at this site, I had Wc3Campaigns in the back of my mind. Wc3Campaigns is a great site (although some of the users there can be a bit harsh and impudent, but the Hive have those kind of people aswell) with lots of usefull high quality resources and helpful members.

The forum descriptions are made by the forum leaders of this site, buddy.

And since when have we 'taken' something from Wc3Campaigns and lied about making it ourselves? We have never said "Hey, look what we made!" (refering to some of the icons at this site).
Yes, there are content at the Hive that is from Wc3Campaigns. But we have never taken credit for it.

Have 'we'? In that case, I was unaware of that.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Oh, my apologizes. I didn't follow those two links in your post.

Well, that rep issue is the same as Vexorians' post at Wc3Campaigns.
The idea is the same :)

Didn't really think that would be a problem at that time.
But, you're right. A note about it should be included within that post and will be shortly.

Stay tunned.

EDIT:
http://www.forums.hiveworkshop.com/showthread.php?t=30083

Level 32
In regards to the similarities between the two sites and to their similar policies, I don't necessarily think that it's such a bad thing. A certain amount of consistency is desirable so that users can (more or less) know just what to expect.

Tim. and those guys over at wc3c have maintained their site for a long tome with a great deal of success. The admins and mods there are all well respected members of the WCIII world; they and the site itself have contributed an incredible amount to the entire WCIII community.

The similarities in the formats relate, to a great extent, to the fact that both sites use vBulletin as their php environment. While the emoticons and style sheets are indeed very similar, I think that both sites maintain their own identities.

Since The Hive Workshop is (I believe) the newer site, it's probably natural that some of the elements of format, style and policy would be derived from the elder, as well as from another WCIII site to which we all owe a great deal.

After all, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
well Griffen. I can explain that.
I might have acted wrong:
1. I didn't know you took that chat that serious. I don't remember it correct, but someone wanted to milk me I think? So it is not really a serious place..
2. Archian writes most of the descriptions. So I actually didn't know about the matter.

So I am sorry for my reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.