• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Something Depressing..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Well this is my entry for the contest. Still a work in progress, though, I may tweak some stuff. Maybe not.

Anyways, I don't really know what to call it, but it's epic awesome city and gloomy and depressing at the same time

http://i30.tinypic.com/2ebfw3q.png

Edit: Sorry about the attachment thing. I'm in a bit of a hurry atm.
More edit: Updated.
Further edit: Finalized some more :p

Last edited:
Level 34
That road is way too large! Looks like it could hold thousands of people. Looks at the size of the buildings, and the size of the road.

This reminds me of the big city from The Horse and His Boy, a Narnia book, written by C.S Lewis.

Level 25
It's good, but the two colored grasses (Light green and darker green) collide together in an ugly fasion. Please add more of those grass doodads and shrubs. Not too sure if those dark green trees go well with the grasses either...

~Craka_J

Level 4
I like the overall image, but as said previously, the road seems not to fit in. try adding some doodads or even scaled down villagers (the grey ones, to keep that kinda ghostly look you got going there) also, change the foreground a little. The grass looks kinda weird like Craka_J said in combination with the dark grass tile.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It still works for me.
It also works for me.

~Void~, I have to congratulate you, this was certainly a very good picture. I just loved it.
It reminded me of a story named "The Star", it's a little kid that climbs up to a church to get a star that's on top of it, but the people of the village noticed it and when the boy went to put it back, he fell off the tower and he died.
Your village is almost ALMOST like I imagined the village of the story!

As for the terrain itself, it's also very good, although there is a noticeable lack of ground-texture variation and overuse of doodads in the back.
My classification is 4/5, but still, you're going to deserve this rep-award.:thumbs_up:

Level 34
They look like the size of a small building from the city. The depth you were going for didn't pan out in my opinion.

Level 34
I cannot really explain it other than the depth didn't work out. It looks like the city is just meters away.

Level 7
I'm not sure if you're trying to make the city look further away, but it appears shrubs in front of the middle are as big as the buildings that look right next to it. There is not much of a depth feeling to it. As said earlier, the road is extremely large in comparison to the building sizes. As for the lighting on the left side, it looks weird just sitting there with no visible source or point of it coming from something off-screen as it just shows up in that circle.

Level 28
I would say this:

It's good, but the two colored grasses (Light green and darker green) collide together in an ugly fasion. Please add more of those grass doodads and shrubs. Not too sure if those dark green trees go well with the grasses either...

~Craka_J

and this:

Add hills at the background, it will improve the "epic look".

Yes, and Gilles is right, the city is too close to the forest.

Good terrain!

Status
Not open for further replies.