• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Something bothers me : Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Okay hello everyone.

Lately I feel bad here, on the hive.
Behaivor is just so 'outraged' that you're too cool to be reasonable on the forums.
In what? well, most of you might have skills in the world editor and around it,
fair enough and respect for that. But many of you LACK respect toward other members.

Oh why? Well!
Why would you downrate someone's resource and giving negative comments upon it?

Seriously, this is happening constantly in different area's here.
I'm sure that all of you where once a noob without knowledge creating also the
wrong things.

First of all, we're all humans.
Second of all, did you even KNOW that your comments can be critique without negative influence?
for example:

1. 'bad spell, 1/5'.

WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?
The creator might spend much time to create a spell, yet you'd comment it like bad spell.
I think there is a lack of respect here, everyone is doing efford to contribute to this website
and others are just saying it sucks.
I think that we'd at least need to give 1 rating for the submission, for his efford in his creation and
to be thankful that he shares it with the website.

A better example for critique would be:

2. Hey, nice that you start creating spells! Your spell is a good start but lacks a few effects and it leaks a bit.
You could fix it by doing this, and doing that. 'Keep up the good work'!

What would you prefer yourself? 1 or 2?
2 ofcourse. You are friendly, you help, you give a reason why you don't like it so much and you encourage him
to continue his work.

That's kinda what I wanted to say.
Also, not everyone is acting like I said, but many do.

You can be a great modder, but please, show some respect.
And I don't care how many reputation you have because people will rate you for who you are, not
your shining image making unlimited rotations.

And for the record: This is not offensive meant.
Thanks for reading and I hope it will change people their view a bit (or fully).
-Xarwin

I totally agree with you. Yes some people are really pain in the ass... but many are nice too. I know a few people here, that i never heard a nice word like Wow! thats really nice, you must spend a lot of time working this...He just tells you Lulz noob, leaks as hell, crapy model, shitty repainted skin... I man you aren't so perfect as well. People wants to be recognized, you can't just say to him gtfo.
I respect a person that did something, even if its not brilliant, he is trying and that counts!

Xarwin respect!

-BZR-

Level 13
It also goes another way around. Like some narutards give 5/5 for naruto map, even if its extremely bad, only the models give 4/5 to those maps. Atleast many people comment "sweet models" on naruto/bleach treads, which i 100% disagree, mostly they have very bad animations and textures.

but yea....people really post idiotic comments, and this thread wont change it.

Level 37
Yes, this is a serious problem on this site.

Here's a good example of how not to review:

Here's a review of your map in two words: Massively imbalanced.

I played it once before, and the balance was horrible. It wasn't the first-time-noob sort of stuff, it was blatantly obvious. Admittedly I haven't played it in a month or so, but I doubt it's fixed that if it was left there for so long.

Level 34
People (especially Animeïsts) tend to give out 4-5/5's out of the blue since a mod has for example a cool picture, nice texture, pretty model shape or a nice map preview screen. Hell, even I tend to do such things since I am like the rest of you; I am not bothered to download the mod and test it out since it's probally a complete waste of time.

Level 27
If you don't think this thread would have any effect at all, what is your suggestion to improve things?
I think the thread first has to make a suggestion how to improve things :p
I didn't read anything about how we should fix said problem. Idiots will be idiots, declaring it in a fairly obscure post isn't going to revolutionize the internet in that fashion.
While I find your heart in the right place, I think what you stated is fairly obvious. Of course people should treat each other with respect, and of course there are going to be those who just lack the common courtesy to do so, especially on the internet, where you don't even say the things to the other person's face.
The real question is what to do about it, and the only answer I can possibly think of is nothing.
Idiots will be idiots, as I said before.
One final note:
What would you prefer yourself? 1 or 2?
2 ofcourse.
We wouldn't have a 1 rating if we weren't supposed to use it. By your standards, a 2 becomes a 1, and eventually evolves to be just as degrading.
--donut3.5--

Level 1
Thanks for your faith and support.

If you don't think this thread would have any effect at all, what is your suggestion to improve things?

I happen to think this thread a good idea.

We could pick out people with useless and sucky comments and put them into a "commenting-bootcamp". They would be refused to post any comment anywhere untill they learned how to properly create comments in the camp. :xxd:

If you catch them commenting bad comments again after they went to it, just kick them back into it. They'll stop in time.:grin:

(The camp would be some kind of hidden subforum then, obviously. Not a real camp)

We could pick out people with useless and sucky comments and put them into a "commenting-bootcamp". They would be refused to post any comment anywhere untill they learned how to properly create comments in the camp. :xxd:

If you catch them commenting bad comments again after they went to it, just kick them back into it. They'll stop in time.:grin:

(The camp would be some kind of hidden subforum then, obviously. Not a real camp)

Yeah i think moderators can't wait to moderate that "subforum"....

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Let's take the modeling forum for example a little, since that's where I venture the most. Did you know that there's tens of people every week posting questions that are already answered in the STICKIES? They don't even have to search, yet they keep going and going and going...the most annoying are the ones asking just for someone to teach them how to model...and the ones who ask about modeling software...They don't even respect this place yet you want me to respect them? No thanks.

About people posting low quality models/skins, I'm totally fine with it (I just don't comment on them, except when I feel like giving some advice) as long as it's not their FIRST. I get really pissed off when someone starts his post with "Hi, this is my first..." WTF?! What do you expect people to tell you? Seriously now. You're just over-excited because you made something you wanted to do for a long time, and good for you, but hell don't share it with us because:
1) it's not worth watching. Period. Your first thing sucks.
2) many many people posted their first things before you. Look at what comments they recieved and learn from them, because they have the same mistakes as you.
And this applies to all domains. Now, you could say why post at all? You could just search around and see what comments other people received. Well...yeah. Bu no either, because from a certain level you'll need personalized critique and advice. Just my 2 cents.

Level 6
Am totally agree, Xarwin . What happen in here is different with what is written in homepage (news). Here:
The Hive is a Warcraft III modding community. If you are totally new to the game or very skilled, you may either learn and get help or teach others: there is a place reserved here for you! The site also contains a vast resource section including most of the resources that anyone will ever need for a Warcraft project. You will find campaigns, icons, maps, models, skins, spells and tools. Extensive tutorials contain realms of information on how to create, improve and perfect your resources and maps. The Hive's forum allows everyone to talk about the game, modding, making resources and many other subjects.

See? totally new same with noob, right?

Level 19
Thanks people, at least I'm not the only one that is aware of this.
'We can't help it'.
Lately everyone worships the rotating gems aka reputation.
I'd say -50 reputation for each time being unmannered and unrespectful to anyone.

So much?
Well, what's being friendly compared to that?

Let's take the modeling forum for example a little, since that's where I venture the most. Did you know that there's tens of people every week posting questions that are already answered in the STICKIES? They don't even have to search, yet they keep going and going and going...the most annoying are the ones asking just for someone to teach them how to model...and the ones who ask about modeling software...They don't even respect this place yet you want me to respect them? No thanks.

About people posting low quality models/skins, I'm totally fine with it (I just don't comment on them, except when I feel like giving some advice) as long as it's not their FIRST. I get really pissed off when someone starts his post with "Hi, this is my first..." WTF?! What do you expect people to tell you? Seriously now. You're just over-excited because you made something you wanted to do for a long time, and good for you, but hell don't share it with us because:
1) it's not worth watching. Period. Your first thing sucks.
2) many many people posted their first things before you. Look at what comments they recieved and learn from them, because they have the same mistakes as you.
And this applies to all domains. Now, you could say why post at all? You could just search around and see what comments other people received. Well...yeah. Bu no either, because from a certain level you'll need personalized critique and advice. Just my 2 cents.

Good to see that you know yourself.
Here's another solution for you: ignore, if it angers you.
The most easy solution ever, and you won't hurt anyone.
And I'm pretty sure someone else would provide the right answer if you don't answer.
After all, you're not alone.

And even though that the post won't change us all, its a start!

Level 35
I agree with that too. The staff should definately take stricter measures against offensive behaviour. Flaming and trolling have become too tolerated these days. Removing one or two reputation points doesn't really matter for most people.

Level 11
Respect is a problem every where, internet, no internet, it doesn't matter. I will walk down the halls of my school and feel disgusted sometimes just because these people do not have any respect for anyone. It the same here, just it is a little more over looked because (or at least I think) of its rampancy.

Level 35
Even bans don't seem to affect the majority of people. They'll just reg on another site and ruin the community there.

There's a totally different law system in the internet anyway, so even if you wanted to, you cannot give a real-life punishment to a person who did something wrong on the internet.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Good to see that you know yourself.
Here's another solution for you: ignore, if it angers you.
The most easy solution ever, and you won't hurt anyone.
And I'm pretty sure someone else would provide the right answer if you don't answer.
After all, you're not alone.

"Good to see that you know you know yourself"?!...Man, when the heck did you saw me flaming someone when they posted their first thing? When did you see me telling some newbie that their stuff sucks?...I do however bash the fools that don't read the stickies, like in the cases I mentioned. But I never actually flamed someone for what I said. I DO ignore them, since it's not worth the effort of getting angry (though I do sometimes, but then I just curse them in my head and it's all gone).
Exceptions are the discussion I had with Void in one of his gallery posts (though I did justify myself elaborately), because I had a breakdown, and the posts back in 2005 that were on wc3sear because I was a retarded lame 16 year old who had nothing better to do and started to flame for "fun".

Level 19
"Good to see that you know you know yourself"?!...Man, when the heck did you saw me flaming someone when they posted their first thing? When did you see me telling some newbie that their stuff sucks?...I do however bash the fools that don't read the stickies, like in the cases I mentioned. But I never actually flamed someone for what I said. I DO ignore them, since it's not worth the effort of getting angry.
Exceptions are the discussion I had with Void in one of his gallery posts (though I did justify myself elaborately), because I had a breakdown, and the posts back in 2005 that were on wc3sear because I was a retarded lame 16 year old who had nothing better to do and started to flame for "fun".

I never told you flamed anyone.
And you actualy mentioned it in a way you're angry
TDR said:
I get really pissed off when someone starts his post with "Hi, this is my first..." WTF?!
Well, so far this. Let's leave this conversation for what it is :).

Level 11
As hard as it is, people like to deny it.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that this isn't so much a problem of "respect", but more an issue of "civility".

You may not respect someone, but you can still be civil.

Yes.

Also:
Order of the Arrow said:
Order of the Arrow ---------- said:
"to be unselfish in service and devotion to the welfare of others."
This is not an easy pledge to fulfill, for there are few who live a life of cheerful service in our world.

This says a lot about today's society, I believe that this issue (the one in my quote) is rooted in this civility/respect issue. I am one of those few, are you?

EDIT: The "----------" stands for something that I cannot reveal because it is to specific and I am not certain that you are member in our Order.

I agree. I am aware of the hypocrisy though.

The only thing that ever annoys me though is the whiners, trolls or anyone who dares to be pretentious. When I see something low quality I just ignore it, including posts.

But this is a forum composed of 12-16 year olds, and you have to expect constant flaming, trolling, whining and most of all, bad grammar and idiotism.

Level 31
But this is a forum composed of 12-16 year olds, and you have to expect constant flaming, trolling, whining and most of all, bad grammar and idiotism.

Bad grammar are because the user ain't a native speaker of english.

The main problem with those flame war & troll is because of the big ego the user have. If a user could be humble, I believe it could gradually reduce such a problem.

Level 15
Here's my take on the situation...

1) If you feel you're not being respected, earn the respect. Don't just expect people to respect you because you're a member of society. That is not how life works. The output you get in something can only be as good as the input you put into it.

2) Aero, quit complaining. Your map is unbalanced. He's telling you that. What's the big deal here?

3) I think this whole thread is pretty dang dumb. What exactly is the point? We're talking about how to make people respect us over the internet...? 9/10 members on this forum that don't respect other members are people who shouldn't even be considered members. Why do you care what they think? Follow your own advice and ignore them. It works out better for everyone.

Level 36
"Good to see that you know you know yourself"?!...Man, when the heck did you saw me flaming someone when they posted their first thing? When did you see me telling some newbie that their stuff sucks?...I do however bash the fools that don't read the stickies, like in the cases I mentioned. But I never actually flamed someone for what I said. I DO ignore them, since it's not worth the effort of getting angry (though I do sometimes, but then I just curse them in my head and it's all gone).

Your signature contradicts your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.