• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Someone to teach me modeling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Its pretty much as the title says, I'm looking for someone to teach me bit by bit how to skin and model things for Warcraft III.

Over the years I've tried to learn more then once, but I'm just so confused, and I'm never quite sure what tools I need or if the ones everyone else uses are free to use or something I'd have to pay for.

I've had numerous ideas for models, simple most, complex some, but my hands are just too stupid to bring to life the things I imagine.

So if anyone could teach me step by step to model and skin I'd be eternally grateful. I am ADD just so everyone knows, something that probably has further hindered my progress to modelling thus far even more.

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping a poor distorted model maker wannabe... :sad:

A kick-start to model making:
1) Get Magos' War3 Model Editor

2) Do the tutorial for it. (Will teach you basic model editing)

3) Get Oinkerwinkle's vertex modify

4) Do the simple and easy tutorials from top to bottom (you'll learn all the stuff in an evening or two)

You'll learn model editing, scratch modeling (creating stuff from the basic primitives), and UW mapping (fitting a skin to the model).
You can then use these skills with the more versatile MdlVis tool.

For actual model making all you need is
  • Magos' War3 Model Editor
    • for editing materials, importing textures, making particle emitters, nodes, camera, simple mesh editing, etc
  • MdlVis
    • for UW mapping, mesh editing, animating, creating new geometry from scratch, assigning vertices to bones, etc

Level 10
First thing you need to do is become anorexic. Or bulemic.

Then, provided you weigh less than 80kg, you need to go out and find an agent.

I can't help you with that, but you should keep an eye out for talent sourcing events in your area, or move to Paris.

Good luck with your modelling career!

Status
Not open for further replies.