• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SOLVED] Need help with upgrading to patch 1.29.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hello guys!

I´m playing Warcraft 3 for six years, but I never upgraded the game from version 1.27 to a more recent version. I´ve found a folder containing all warcraft 3 game files from patch 1.29 at this site ([Need Help] Back to 1.29). In this folder, there is a file called BNUpdate. I thought this was the required file, but it says that the program runs upgrades through battle.net and does not need to be run.

Could one of you tell me what I should do next? Thanks in advance! :)

Level 13
You need to create the folder "C:\Warcraft III 1.29.2" and then copy the zip file there. Then just extract its contents there. If you are using 7-zip, you can choose Extract Here in the context menu. By default it creates a subfolder called "Warcraft III" but that's ok.

Thanks for your answer!

Stupid question from my side, but how do I create such a folder. I'm not that digitally skilled :(

Do you know how to create a folder like Tommi Gustafsson mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
The same way you create any folder in Windows - go to your C:\ drive, right-click in some empty area and select New -> Folder

I can't get it. I've created a folder in C and placed the Zip-file (Warcraft 1.29.2 Game Files) in it. But then?

I've cut and paste the BNUpdate out of the zip-file but it didn't change anything. I'm still getting the error message as described in my first post. Maybe I'm not understanding you right?

• Sad
Reactions: pyf
Level 20
I've cut and paste the BNUpdate out of the zip-file but it didn't change anything.
This is your problem. Forget about this file. What you downloaded isn't meant to update your current W3 version - it's a completely separate installation with patch 1.29 (or whichever you downloaded) already applied. Unpack the whole archive in that new folder and launch the game from that folder by using the .exe file you will find there. It will probably ask you for the cd-key, so enter it and that's it, you're done :)

Level 13
This is your problem. Forget about this file. What you downloaded isn't meant to update your current W3 version - it's a completely separate installation with patch 1.29 (or whichever you downloaded) already applied. Unpack the whole archive in that new folder and launch the game from that folder by using the .exe file you will find there. It will probably ask you for the cd-key, so enter it and that's it, you're done :)

It's working! :) All of you thanks for the help. Now I do have another question regarding this patch. If I want to play my own made custom campaigns in it, where must I place them? In the Campaigns folder, which is part of the folder Tommi Gustafsson send me?

It's working! :) All of you thanks for the help. Now I do have another question regarding this patch. If I want to play my own made custom campaigns in it, where must I place them? In the Campaigns folder, which is part of the folder Tommi Gustafsson send me?
No, they must be put into Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns. If Campaigns folder does not exist, you must create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.