• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(SOLVED) Flickering model textures glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So, I am trying to create this
stone01.png
out of this
stone02.png

While the cluster one looks good in Magos' and Retera's, ingame and in the editor it's like in the attached video or even worse.

Attachments

• 2020-08-04 21-11-33.mp4
    957.4 KB · Views: 39
  • CobbleMud.blp
    448.1 KB · Views: 25
  • cobblestones01 CM.mdx
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
  • cobblestonesRoad.mdx
    648.8 KB · Views: 25

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Can you upload a model that is only copied one time, to be sure it's not hitting the (unknown?) maximum vertices per geoset.
Well, not that the original model is the one named cobblestones01 CM.mdx.
So basically what I did now, is to copy it one time (attachment).
I'm using Retera's Model Editor by the way. I've never encountered this issue before.

Attachments

• cobblestones01 CM (oneCopy).mdx
    87.5 KB · Views: 22
Level 29
It looks to me like it's related to the optimization thing with bones being invisible when they reference a geoset animation that says they should be invisible.

If the geoset attached to that bone is rendered, it gives a similar behavior, of it flickering around the screen sometimes, rendering at the center of the map sometimes, or even being attached to some random other node in the map, like another unit.

But why in this case? What are we missing?

Attachments

• ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 109

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I get the same result even if I crop the original rock cluster to one stone.
Don't know why I thought this would change anything.
Funny is that not only does it flicker now but also moves around like a sort of orb effect on an attachment point.

Cluster model edit's info. Not sure if it helps with anything:
anima.png
Calculating extents doesn't help with anything. Why would it...

There's a lot of stuff in the Geoset Manager, lists for Vertices, Faces...

Bizarre... the texture glitch appears ingame even if taken off via the Material Manager. Even after setting the Material to none in the Geoset Manager...

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Oh. Why do you need a new bone AND a new geoset then?
It this how Retera's thing works?
Yeah, I guess. I don't even tick the bones on and the copying creates one.

anima.png
Great, how did you do it? I want to make it look more natural like a road, put things tightly together, rotate etc.

Aha, so all within one collision box with a bone in the middle.

Yeah, I guess. I don't even tick the bones on and the copying creates one.

Great, how did you do it? I want to make it look more natural like a road, put things tightly together, rotate etc.

Aha, so all within one collision box with a bone in the middle.

Well, you need to ALL geometry in one geoset and attached to one bone.
Try it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
My first test was to set all of the bones to be "multiple" or the actual geoset, neither of which helped. I still don't understand what was even the issue lol.
I guess, it was spamming the bones and after one bone without proper linking of the vertices to it. As I wrote, I had to set attach each copy of the rock clusters separately to that one bone. Before I just selected all copies and attached them to the bone but then Retera's didn't want to save the model anymore, it kept doing nothing as if I had to wait indefinitely.
Before all of this, I was just copying the rock cluster and each time it made a new bone with it, possibly hence the visual glitch?
I'm not sure what exactly Frank did, but I used his edited version to make the copies afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.