• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Afterimage Particle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Can a sword leave behind a 2d plane particle, like an afterimage of the sword?
2b4e5b44-3e2f-4e31-9747-dc287ce636a4_scaled-jpg.45129

Something like this? But only 2d plane.
1620-sword-vector-thumb.png

So when it swing, it creates an illusion that it's super fast.

Level 29
This will usually be done with a ribbon emitter in WC3.
If you want an actual image of the sword, I think you will have to have multiple sword geosets that move in that way, each one with its own different alpha for the fade effect.
Perhaps the geosets can be completely flat ala rectangles that are billboarded on the Z axis, but it will not look as nice from sharp angles (e.g. look at the Night Elf building attachment that has a long ray of moon light that is billboarded on Z).

Too bad we can't use custom models for the model particle emitters, would be a perfect fit for this.

Last edited:
Level 4
Too bad we can't use custom models for the model particle emitters, would be a perfect fit for this.
So that's why it didn't work, I thought I just made a mistake.
But maybe if I change the path of the sword model to something like "orc\peon.mdx" and replace the original, I can trick wc3 into thinking that it's not a custom?
Tho the problem will be how to rotate it at the same angle as the sword. Horizontal and vertically.

Level 4
So I tried ribbon emitters. It's not what I was hoping for but it works and looks great anyway.
Thanks guys :)

Level 29
Make the texture N overlapping swords with a fade out in transparency, much like the image you posted of the soldier, and use that, rather than just the sword texture.
The texture will get stretched across the ribbon chain, and as ribbons die, it should produce the visual effect you want.
Play with the lifetime of ribbons etc. to get best results of course.

That being said, thinking a bit more, this might work better with a particle emitter, with zero gravity, and the alpha fading out, it should look a lot more natural, and can work directly with the sword texture.

Level 4
Oh nice idea. I'll do that!

That being said, thinking a bit more, this might work better with a particle emitter, with zero gravity, and the alpha fading out, it should look a lot more natural, and can work directly with the sword texture.
Unfortunately, I use the sword as an attachment. And I couldn't make the particles appear "un-billboarded", y'know they're always facing the camera so can't rotate em in any way. It just looks like the unit has a sword buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.