• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Particle Emitter: How to best make a Cloud Cover/Sea of Fog effect?

Level 13
I have been playing around with particle emitters a bit for this, and read some tutorials, but I am kinda stuck right now.

The idea is, I want to create an effect like this:
20161203_S%C3%A4ntis_0010_Urn%C3%A4sch_Appenzell-Ausserrhoden_Schweiz.jpg

But without using the weather-region options, because the problem with those is, you can't make them stick to just one height level of the map, the fog will "climb" up hills.
So my idea was, maybe do this with doodads, using a particle emitter like "cloud", and thus put together a surface of fog that only hides the valley floor?

So ideally, the particle emitter should be such that the particles only move on the X/Y plane, without moving up or down. But the Cloud ability particle emitter spits things up like a fountain?
How can I change that in the settings, or is there a better particle emitter to use as a base?

Level 13
So I settled for making a "normal" doodad with a slowly rotating geoset but I'm not too exited about this for now

Obviously this is just a test and just with a bit more modelling effort I can probably get something nicer looking, but I still feel a particle emitter should at least be part of it...

CloudDoodadworkaround.jpg

I guess that you could try in the model-requests section in the Reteras Model Studio Discord. Maybe someone who can make it happen fast and easy will see it.