• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Single Player Group/CoOp - RPG - Action Adventure Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey everyone.

I'm developing a Group Based (Co-Op) Single Player RPG-Action Adventure map that focuses on strategy, puzzles and riddles over combat. Recently it has been progressing quite well. I'm handling most of the map related development myself along with another private person, thus there are no posts on the Hive about the map just yet (most likely there won't be any until beta testing).

I am a writer myself, but I can't really focus on everything in the project and plus have a real life full time job to work with. Of course I have quite a lot of outlines and average details added, but spicing up and expanding things can never hurt.

Therefore, I am looking for 1-2 people that think that could join our small team and contribute with ideas and story elements.

However, there's something to keep in mind.
Everyone can make up random ideas like :
" Maek expludin' super mega spellz."

That's not what I'm looking for.

The people I am looking for should be able to think maturely and have at least brief knowledge of technical things behind their ideas (how cooldowns work, how to balance mana and casting, general possibilities of warcraft 3 triggering, etc), and as well have some idea of how to balance it to be a functional gameplay element.

Example:

"Holy Light: One of the first spells learned for mages who practice in healing. The Healer has used this spell all his life, and so has completely mastered its use, meaning it heals a very large amount. However, the spell requires large amounts of energy to be cast, therefore it consumes either a lot of mana or has a longer cooldown."

I am open to accept 2 people to this project. I am also willing to share a lot more information including current story state, gameplay status and more to those that fully join. I know some might not find this request fair a I do not provide additional information, but I assure you - the map will be produced with high quality. The reasons I do not wish to release more information at this stage is for two reasons.
1. A lot of things will change on the move, some things might be dropped, some added. I don't want to announce something that is not entirely sure just yet.
2. I want to keep things as a surprise and release information in an awesome trailer somewhere in the near future.

The 2 personnel I'm looking for will be generally working with writing interesting story elements, ideas, and such things. If someone who is versed in triggering but also at ideas/story and would like to join, I might accept him/her but it's not a must. Other positions are not needed.

If anyone might be interested, feel free to PM me or post a reply here.

Good day. :)

Level 7
I'm just wondering how a map can be both "single-player" and "co-op.
Could you give some information 'bout that and maybe also some generic info on the map? I understand if you're not fond of giving the whole map away, but giving away some info would increase the amount people wanting to help you get your project finished.

Level 7
Hmm...

Well, as I state above, it's more of a Group Based RPG. Examples are Baldurs Gate or Newervinter Nights for instance. The player controls 1 main character, while the other 4 follow along according to certain tactical orders issued by the player.

These commands can be either single unit or group specific. Examples are like Follow Me, Wait Here, Regroup, Retreat, etc. The player can also swap his main character, thus making another character form the group a leader. This case is usually important if the character's detailed skills are vital for advancement. For example the player wants to scout ahead, so he'll swap to the scout character, order all to hold position and walk ahead.

The characters that are not controlled directly will have a certain level of AI so that they are nut sitting duck, but will not be extremely functional without orders.

Now you must be saying why not give the control over all units at the same time? It's because the concept is to make the player think and do tactics. The units also WON'T share vision, therefore it will be heavily focused that the player uses the right character at the right time.

Does that answer your question? :p

Level 7
It answers the question perfectly. Sadly I don't got the time (nor the skills I think :p) to help you, but I'm indeed interested in how this turns out :)

Level 7
All I really am interested in, is people that enjoy detailing gout puzzles or things like that. :p I can handle most of the other things myself, but I don't have the time to sit down and brainstorm too much lately :(

Level 17
So, in short, you are looking for think tanks to provide you with concepts for spells, items, puzzles, the story, etc.? Well, if you are willing to have me, I'd love to help you. Do I need to provide you with any proof or something along those lines?

Level 7
All right. We can discuss it. :p I've added you to MSN with the address found in your profile.

Level 3
I will see if I can set it up. For now, I have two other projects I must finish writing for. If you still have a space available, I would be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.