1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Single-Player Bossfights

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Asomath, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like it, I like it.

And do answer your question, this was actually for some of my multiple single-player map projects im working on. I may add a section to my tutorial though, because these are totally different than multiplayer bossfights.

Also, since most of you are coming back to add to this thread, even after I repped you, I know you are truely helping. A second round of rep for all of yall! (This is really good stuff, im excited about all of the posibilities I didnt see before that have revealed themselves to me)

~Asomath

2. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yes...
    A maze? you have to get to the boss in the center... he can use spells etc. on you but you cannot harm him until you reach the center? and even then you will have to find one of the afore-mentiond strategies?
    ok... lemme think some more...

3. KingDedede

KingDedede

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have an idea, based on what difficulty the computer is (Easy), (Normal), or (Insane), the boss plays differently, like new attacks, health, items, and things that were used to kill him are switched around a bit based on difficulty.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you want challenging bosses, do not use D2 as a base.
    As you can see, D2 hardly has any varience in boss killing, and you can often easilly replace "Spam blessed hammer." to "Spam 1337 soc move + infinity".

A propper boss fight should need some thinking, some physical game stats and some time. Bosses should take atleast 2 minutes to kill and you should be forced to move in some way or another. They should also rely on physical power in the case of RPGs so that they are easier the stronger you are. Finally they should not just be constant action, there should be breaks letting you regenerate, move or prepair.

Example of boss. A forgoton one in the centre of the room. Around the edges are runes of healing (instant use) and mana but in limated supply. Boss starts off being unkillable and attacks you with a non homming projectile attack a few times. The boss then summons 3 tenticals that move after you trying to hurt you and you must try leading them onto certain areas of the arena making them stuck or kill them. If you make them stuck then you will have a long period to attack the boss during which it is uncapable of attacking. If you killed them the duation is shorter. The cycle repeats but at 66% HP it spawns more tenticals and attacks with more projectiles. At 33% HP it goes nuts and the tenticals move faster but last shorter, also the fireballs move really fast and can only be doged via a huge radius circle. Once killed you get some reward and a full reheal / recharge.

As you can guess this is very legend of zeldery but in a more simplified form. The ideas you must use are very simlar and in the end most of the damage should be avoidable.

Poor boss design on the other hand. . .
    Boss starts off hitable and is only killable that way. Boss spams high damage moves that can not be humanly evaded and kill you in a few hits meaning you have to chew pots. Boss then moves on to spam instant death moves requiring some form of medic to constantly revive you or else you will lose. Boss has insanly large numbers of HP / armor so that the battle lasts for 10 minutes with the same repetition of mass pot use / rezing. No way to have a pause to recopurate / prepair for another attack on the boss.

This boss design was seen in FFF (Final Fantasy Forever) with the one ghost boss. Overall these bosses are highly annoying and often were seen in the final fantasy series where by turbased combat was all it had. Although some of them were ok in final fantasy, they do not convert well to WC3 unless properly ballenced and should certainly not be combined with elements of a good boss battle as they will only annoy and irritate people further and you must remember that FF allowed people thinking time before actions, in real time WC3 battles you do not have that.

5. Elfsilver Lord

Elfsilver Lord

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Like DSG said, you need health-interaction. Being able to interact with the boss is key, and here's an example from the campaign I'm working on.

There is a small dungeon room where you are confronted by a mysterious cloud of dark energy. While you cannot attack it directly, you need to run around and hit all 4 magic runes or levers to turn him ethereal for 10 seconds. Then, you can do massive damage to him. Once he turns back into his energy form, the runes/levers reset. The lower his health goes, the longer he can be transformed.

6. www123

www123

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about this?

A melee-ranged boss with extreme damage (Enough to kill you on 2 hits), but also attacks very slow. He moves a little slower than you, but not accutaly very slow.
    When he attacks, its triggered with shockwaves, so you will have to avoid the shockwaves. After he attacks, there will be an opening on about 5 seconds, where he doesn't move or attack, and takes like 3 times damage.

Or this:

A big mountain, where you start at the bottom of it. The boss is on the top, and can cast spells and eventually attack. On the way up, you will have to destroy a few amount of minions. And! A lot of gates and such are blocking the way. Some of them are vulnerabe, however some of the invulnerable, you will have to find a lever or such. And the lever may sometimes be hidden!
    Meanwhile, a HORDE (I mean more than 100) creeps is following you from the bottom, they are moving extremely slow, but together they are about 5 times as strong as the boss (Lets just say, you can't kill them), so you better have to hurry. At the top of the mountain, there is a generator or something, that prevents the monsters from coming in. However, the generator will open once every... 30 seconds? and let a minion or two in, before it closes.

7. thedeathunterxx

thedeathunterxx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i think for a single player bossfight ( teheheeee )

you dont have to just be restricted to just ONE unit or hero.
    Instead you are givein a raid of maybe 12 , or 24 character hero's, some of them repeat ( for instance, 5 priests, 3 paladins, 6 warriors etc..)

and using alot of micromangment, you can probably re imitiatate a WOW boss fight by having those 24 units attack a powerful ragneros, makeing sure your healing everybody and shit.

and btw ( thatts how i hope we plan the boss fights in TDC >=P )

8. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    That mountain gave me an idea.

There is a god damn imba boss after you that is super fast and strong, but you are still pretty far away from it. The idea is to climb fast to the top and try to throw rock chunks and boulders at the boss so that it won't catch you. This will go on for a couple of mintutes (Maybe add some creeps on the way up to make it even more challenging). When you reach the top, the boss is too weak to fight in full power so now you just beat the crap out of it (This part can also have some sort of tactic if you can come up with something, like maybe push it somehow down from the mountain or w/e the place is).
    It doesn't have to by mountain necessarily. Maybe an old temple ruin with lots of broken pillars and stuff that you can throw at it.

9. Jokunen

Jokunen

Resources:
    Resources:
    How about a boss necromancer who has a shitload of minions next to him, and you have on your side a necromancer who has agreed to help you in defeating him. You have to protect the necromancer until he usurps the necromancer's control spell so he can turn the undead against their master. You can also make it so that you have to turn them via some spell reading or rune touching, while avoiding the minions, so it's more interesting.

10. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Or, you have to break support colums to cause a rock-slide... or you have to activate old generators that will either teleport you away to safety or summon some minions to assist you?
    The different options are endless :)

11. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, I've got alot more information from this thread so far than I thought I would, and I hope you mapmakers who are reading this will take into consideration the possibilities for bossfights that present themselves to you!

Some people may have begun to deplete a good majority of the ideas possible, so please, read through the thread and make sure you arent repeating anything that has been stated before.

~Asomath

12. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    More mountain fights...

About the boss fight i talked about in page 3, with the knockbacking into damging objects, i made a demo (if anyone wants it) in about 15 minutes, so enjoy!
    Another cool boss fight with the 'climb this mountain theme' would be that...
    There is an earth quake/landslide, you only have a certain time to get to top.
    At cretain intervals a (hidden unit) attacks the ground making you have to time your decent past the area. Maybe some jets of fire/frost would be cool too!
    When you reach the top, the earthquake stops. You have to sucessfully shove the boss off the mountain (say three times, he'll jump back on every time, maybe getting angry and getting harder to kill) to destroy him.

I have to admit, this is one of the coolest threads i've ever found. It's almost like we'll have to start an rpg just to include them all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  13. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yes this is a cool thread :).

14. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah, very useful thread.

another idea:
    boss deals moderate dmg, but has several strong abilities: 33% critical strike chance, 60% evasion, smth else. all together they make the boss a bit overpowered.
    there are special objects, player can use them to remove one of the abilities from the boss for a short amount of time. that puts a CD on all other objects (CD is longer than the effect). thus, only one ability can be removed from the boss.
    point is: you remove Evasion, nuke, nuke, nuke, your hp gets low, you remove Critical Strike until you heal yourself, etc. etc. etc.
    Hard mode (with better rewards) may include killing boss without removing any abilities.

15. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    thats genius... especially with other abilities...

16. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    people, never let this thread die =))
    maybe make it sticky or smth?
    move all made boss fights that get posted here to 1st post or smth - so others can find them quickly if they need (i'm referring to vosty's contribution)

17. Hijax

Hijax

Resources:
    Resources:
    i support structuring the thread. maybe make a section with fully made bossfights(like vosty's), one fully designed bossfights, and one with features that can be added to any bossfight. then make the rest of the thread be completely random ideas.

another idea would be where the boss is accompanied by 3 invulnerable minibosses, that cannot deal any damage. they stand completely still until the player fires a firework from the stand associated with them, then they move to the target area.. in addition, the fight area is split in three parts, say, storm earth and fire. the main boss gain an active ability depending on which area miniboss 1 is standing in, a passive ability depending on miniboss 2, and miniboss 3 determines his max hitpoints, mana and damage. now the point is to move the minibosses around so the boss have the right abilities at the right time. so fx, you give him crit strike, firebolt and maximum mana, nukedinuke, then when you're dying you give him maximum hp, evasion and holy light, healediheal, etc.

18. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Interesting...

19. Handycombinder

Handycombinder

Resources:
    Resources:
    What about the boss trowing giant rocks at you, then you can hide behind them and throw them back dealing damage?

20. Hijax

Hijax

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like that handycombinder. simple, yet cool.