• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Single-Player Bossfights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Oh, I've got alot more information from this thread so far than I thought I would, and I hope you mapmakers who are reading this will take into consideration the possibilities for bossfights that present themselves to you!

Some people may have begun to deplete a good majority of the ideas possible, so please, read through the thread and make sure you arent repeating anything that has been stated before.

~Asomath

Level 12
More mountain fights...

About the boss fight i talked about in page 3, with the knockbacking into damging objects, i made a demo (if anyone wants it) in about 15 minutes, so enjoy!
Another cool boss fight with the 'climb this mountain theme' would be that...
There is an earth quake/landslide, you only have a certain time to get to top.
At cretain intervals a (hidden unit) attacks the ground making you have to time your decent past the area. Maybe some jets of fire/frost would be cool too!
When you reach the top, the earthquake stops. You have to sucessfully shove the boss off the mountain (say three times, he'll jump back on every time, maybe getting angry and getting harder to kill) to destroy him.

I have to admit, this is one of the coolest threads i've ever found. It's almost like we'll have to start an rpg just to include them all.

Attachments

• Mario Demo.w3x
    11.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 15
yeah, very useful thread.

another idea:
boss deals moderate dmg, but has several strong abilities: 33% critical strike chance, 60% evasion, smth else. all together they make the boss a bit overpowered.
there are special objects, player can use them to remove one of the abilities from the boss for a short amount of time. that puts a CD on all other objects (CD is longer than the effect). thus, only one ability can be removed from the boss.
point is: you remove Evasion, nuke, nuke, nuke, your hp gets low, you remove Critical Strike until you heal yourself, etc. etc. etc.
Hard mode (with better rewards) may include killing boss without removing any abilities.

Level 15
people, never let this thread die =))
maybe make it sticky or smth?
move all made boss fights that get posted here to 1st post or smth - so others can find them quickly if they need (i'm referring to vosty's contribution)

Level 6
i support structuring the thread. maybe make a section with fully made bossfights(like vosty's), one fully designed bossfights, and one with features that can be added to any bossfight. then make the rest of the thread be completely random ideas.

another idea would be where the boss is accompanied by 3 invulnerable minibosses, that cannot deal any damage. they stand completely still until the player fires a firework from the stand associated with them, then they move to the target area.. in addition, the fight area is split in three parts, say, storm earth and fire. the main boss gain an active ability depending on which area miniboss 1 is standing in, a passive ability depending on miniboss 2, and miniboss 3 determines his max hitpoints, mana and damage. now the point is to move the minibosses around so the boss have the right abilities at the right time. so fx, you give him crit strike, firebolt and maximum mana, nukedinuke, then when you're dying you give him maximum hp, evasion and holy light, healediheal, etc.

Level 14
I havent had a chance to view Vosty's map (because I've written everything in this thread off a hotel computer), but i'll be able to do so tommorow.

I'll edit the first post a bit. I'll also divide my "Creating a Bossfight Tutorial" into two sections, the original multi-player bossfights, and a smaller single-player bossfights using the information that people came up with here (credits with each piece). Ill edit what maps need to be edited to be put up as examples of each "type." Sure, a bit of organization and sorting will be neccessary, but everything should work out well. If you have any objections with your ideas being displayed with the tutorial, please PM me.

When the tutorial is updated, if you believe you can create a high-quality bossfight map for the types in the single-player bossfights, feel free to do so.

Other than that, this thread will stay active as long as people continue to discover ideas and techniques.

~Asomath

(P.S. Rep to those who came up with fresh ideas)

Level 12
Where did my post i put 5 mins ago go?
Any way, my map is challenging, (made in 15 minutes, so the knock back really leaks), and just fun but short. You really don't gotta play it.
Any ways, another concept.....
The boss, (maybe a fire type or robot) throws a bomb unit. The bomb has floating text above it going: 10, 9, 8, etc.. It explodes on 0 (Duh!). You object is to smack it back at the boss, before it explode, and does major damage. You can not do this and defeat the boss when he comes down between every throw, or do it quick and cause major damage making him easily defeated.
(I might make another demo)

Level 6
also make the boss smack it back, so you have to make sure he has it when it detonates.

You could also add moving platforms. So every now and then, the platforms you're standing on move to new positions. AND THERES LAVA UNDER THE DAMN THINGS.

Level 6
we cant add zombies, since players must also be able to move on top of them, and its impossible to have two layers of pathableness on top of each other.

Level 12
Well, I made the demo already, before I read your comments, so sory if thre is no DAMN LAVA, or spikes and zombies. He does deflect it back though, (actually I only did that because it wouldn't hurt him for some reason, so i made it an enemy unit of him and you.)
I made it, and I was a bit upset with what I originally planned and how it came out. Any way here it is and enjoy!
Screeny! (lol, I dont even show bomb, which is main point!)

EDIT: btw All of my demo's are unprotected, so feel free to view and edit ONLY FOR YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT. Dont go around spreading crappy demos to get a small boost of confidence.

Attachments

• Vosty-3000.w3x
    47.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Screeny.jpg
    Screeny.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Level 4
Could also be that theres a path which has hidden spike traps in random locations, which can somehow be revealed for a short time or something, and the players have to avoid them, but they've got to run away from a boss that is behind them, and the boss recieves damage for all the leftover spike traps, so you have to hope that when the road ends he has gotten enough damage so you can defeat him (could also be that the traps can't be avoided and it's just about luck, but I'm not sure how it'd work :D)

Level 12
Could also be that theres a path which has hidden spike traps in random locations, which can somehow be revealed for a short time or something, and the players have to avoid them, but they've got to run away from a boss that is behind them, and the boss recieves damage for all the leftover spike traps, so you have to hope that when the road ends he has gotten enough damage so you can defeat him (could also be that the traps can't be avoided and it's just about luck, but I'm not sure how it'd work :D)

So do you mean like goblin land mines that lay around everywhere? What is you could press a lever that would reveal some for a short time. You could guide the boss into them, and hurt him. Genius + rep

EDIT: Wow this thread is dying fast.

Last edited:
Level 9
Until now guys most of say they nearly only use damage spell and passives
Never thought off slowing or something?
Here is a boss which i made(for multiplayer but he could be single to)

First the boss goes to the player and just attacks him. His attacks are slow and powerfull. With some pots or healing spells no problem.
THen he casts a really minor abiltiy like clap which slows you.
Then he tele to a position at the corner of the arena facing you. after 3 seconds he releases a mighty wave.just 1 second before the release the slow is over, but if you arent tried to avoid till now you will get hit.

after that he makes that procedure againa nd again but everytime with different spells. A other spell makes the hero ethernal before the damage spell. If he isnt able to avoid at this time he will be nearly dead. But if he is clever he could heal himself during this and avoid then.

For the damage abiltys i also have a inferno which nearly covers the whole arena(you ave to go to a corner) and something where you teleported into a corner where is water. Then you have 3 sconds to run before a mighty geysir damage and slows you. Stright after that the boss is using his wave.

The best way to kill this boss is to avoid the misc spell and the damage spell

Level 9
Seems like avoidable spells/attacks as well as environmental advantages are things that should be exaggerated/concentrated on in a single-player boss fight. Also, timing and using a boss's attacks/weak points to injure it (ala god of war?) seems like a good idea as well. My map, Bearena, in -weavel mode (the boss mode, follow my link if you want to play it) can be played with any number of players, even with a single player. However, it is extremely difficult with one player because you cannot respawn, which you can when you're in a multiplayer game, although the boss will scale with the number of players in terms of health. I also added soft enrages to encourage players to take on an aggressive strategy rather than a passive one.

Level 2
A boss that uses avoidable missles like, archers or soldiers that games.
Units UI Controlled,teamed with the player.
other heroes, also controlled by the player :O hard.
and if 1 hero dies, its over for every =]

Level 12
Really Void? Really? One main thing that you can add to single player boss fights is STAGES. The fights are supposed to occur in smapll steps, where you have to do something special to kill the boss. Whether it be just holding out, pulling a lever, passing back the bomb (DL my demo earlier in thread *wink*) or having him destroy the generator. You can really do whatever you felt like just set it up. Certain fights don't even have to include direclty doing damage to the boss, (as long as he hurts you somewhere.) One idea could be a large circular arena, with 4 catapualts circling it. The objective is to activate the catipaults and kill the boss. Mean while he throws non-homing projectiles at you. This could be simple but difficult if developed more deeply.

So Really Void? ReallY? I mean yur a cool guy and all but really?

QUICK EDIT: OMG like 3 posts in 3 mins, the thread is alive and + rep to you guys who did it.!

Level 12
True, True. But were trying to be original. We need multiple ideas, for multiple Boss Fights. Say i make an rpg. it has 4 fights. I need 4 boss ideas.

Just one last thing to discuss, Void. Micromanagement is one idea out there. Yes it is good it some (a lot) of situations. But, this is a special thread for mostly RPG types. Rpgs mostly contain one unit. The timing thing is very correct and challenging, but it basically recreates multi-player and spiins it 90 degress,( a tiny but noticible differance). Uniqueness is key to boss fight Uberness.

Level 36
How about one unit and some minions, or one unit and a pet? Just because your game revolves around one central character doesn't mean that has to be the only character you play with. For example, your character is a mage; give him a familiar that can cast some spells as well. If your character is a druid, you could give him a pet. If your character is a necromancer, you could give him one or two undead minions.

What if your character runs into an old friend in town? Maybe that friend wants to come help him.

Level 14
How about one unit and some minions, or one unit and a pet? Just because your game revolves around one central character doesn't mean that has to be the only character you play with. For example, your character is a mage; give him a familiar that can cast some spells as well. If your character is a druid, you could give him a pet. If your character is a necromancer, you could give him one or two undead minions.

What if your character runs into an old friend in town? Maybe that friend wants to come help him.

Yeah, exactly. It would be horrible in an RPG to have 4-5 heroes that you play at the same time that you are supposed to get attached to. However, mini-heroes and pets, that is a much better idea, and fits more appropriatly.

~Asomath

Level 9
There is something no one said tilll now:

Evey boss have a role in the game which on which heavaly his difficult,uniquees and time to kill depends,
A boss which is just there to dropp a mighty but in story inimportant role should;t take to long if you have the right lvl.
The last boss should be harder to kill.Not depending that much on your lvl and on your class.Its also important that he is still beatable by every class(cause its singleplayer).
A tresure boss doesnt have to be killable by everyone.
Exemple:
A tresure boss may have magic immumity and isnt be able to beat by a mage.
But if the last boss/a chapter boss/ any boss which you have to kill to win the game have this he gets invulnarable to mages. This boss may be at a multiplayer map but is a really bad idea at a singleplayer map.

Level 9
yepp exactly what i said in a other way. A boss for warrior may be magic immum and still beatable while one whiich drops mage items ould be ethernal givinging a warrior nearly no chance, but will be easily done by a mage,

ot just think of d2
at hell there were some unique enmys which werent beatable at all.
(magic immum+stoneskin+extra much damage at one of this explosive corpses at act3-WTF)

Level 12
I like voids Idea of the summons thing. It balances out the RPG idea. Thank you for finally clearing that issue up.
If your going to create multiple boss fights on your map why not try givng them drops to dfeat the next or soon boss. Killing the Fire Boss gives you a torch to melt the iceboss's minions, making him 10x's easier to kill.

P.S. I'm glad to see Asomath in this thread again.

• Sounds: The boss will taunt when attacking, scream when hit, and randomly give random words
  • Counterattack by Evading: Reflects projectiles in mirrors, or maybe bring wooden trunks down hitting whoever was below. This being used with the boss' projectiles against itself.
  • Ground Traps: You should lure the boss to ground traps to help killing it.
How about em?

Level 14
  • Sounds: The boss will taunt when attacking, scream when hit, and randomly give random words
  • Counterattack by Evading: Reflects projectiles in mirrors, or maybe bring wooden trunks down hitting whoever was below. This being used with the boss' projectiles against itself.
  • Ground Traps: You should lure the boss to ground traps to help killing it.
How about em?

The last two had been touched on in this thread earlier some how, but the sounds, now thats somthing I have always liked. Changing up the bossfight and making it harder, by not only making the players focus and analyze the graphical elements, but also listening for audio ques. Fantastic one Happy.

Alright, I am going to post an idea up.

I have always been a fan of making simple things connected or reappear. I always thought players get an enjoyment (at least I do) out of seeing a character or boss they saw before, reconnected or make a second appearance further up in the game-progress. I just thought it was the coolest things when games did that. So, how about you do something cool like that for the players pleasure, and then take advantage of the fact that the player has seen it before. For example, a player fights a boss early on (maybe one of the first two or three). When that boss is defeated, he leaves such as trace of epicness and him being a bad-ass that players not only get a feeling of accomplishment but also a small feeling of sadness, as you would when a good experience ends. Then farther up in the storyline, perhaps the second to last or final dungeons or series of bosses, you have him brought back. The players start talking to themselves with a grin across there face when they see him make an appearance and they say stuff like “Oh shi-, no frikkin way, oh my god,” because they are all happy and are getting the thrill of the epicness to see them again. The first phase, would seem exactly like the boss was at the beginning, using the same ability series. They access their memory to remember how to beat that boss, performing the exact same motions to dodge their attacks. However this time around, the places that you used to dodge before and were safe places, are now actually deathtraps. Bam, you just totally knocked them off their rhythm and fcked them up, they would have either realized their mistake too late, or at least you would have shaken them up a bit. Then, phases 2,3,4 and so on would be revamped phases, and totally newer than what his previous abilities were.

A second idea I wanted to write up on the drawing board is playing off something I read in the earlier areas of this thread.

As I said, I like connecting pieces from the RPG as well as screwing with the players mind. So, how about we let the players set the stage for the boss fight based on their game-play style. For example, you are fighting in a dungeon (undead, demonic, or whatever). You are sent in based on this one quest to kill the final boss in this dungeon, necromancer, slave driver, whatever you feel like. Yet, throughout this dungeon, there are random quests. Some may seem totally useless, with rewards hardly worth mentioning, such as a broken arrow. Some may provoke an emotional response, like to slaughter all the prisoners, and their begging you to let them free and not to kill them. A player who is very objective and just wants to get his task done will skip over the quests that don’t seem to benefit him. A player who gets attached to his character and likes to interact with the environment will refuse to slaughter the prisoners. However, all of these quests somehow change the course of the boss fight. One useless quest might have been to find a book in a library, which would end up leading you to find a tome that contains a spell to absorb the boss ultimate. Another may have been to retrieve a keepsake from an abandoned room, and you end up stumbling upon a secret passage that reveals a generator to the bosses 50% damage reduction shield. The prisoners that they let live may end up adding an event to the boss fight, where they stumble into the boss fight room and they end up getting ripped apart, then turned into demons. Because you didn’t slaughter them in the first place, you now have a massive minion infestation to deal with. This could all help to make a more interesting boss fight.

Haha, and yeah Vosty, I didn’t just come here to post this thread and then fade away into the shadows.

~Asomath

no wonder it says Boss Mapmaker in your sig, great ideas.
for the first thing: i agree it would totally skrew them up if there was a VERY specific strategy for killing the boss, but all of your original strategies acually helped the boss or somthing... i dunno, its like totally opposite... also i have seen alot of games where if you do a bunch of pointless tasks they accually save the game for you! the peasants that you don't kill, could turn out to be knights that assist you in battle etc. genious!

Level 14
no wonder it says Boss Mapmaker in your sig, great ideas.
for the first thing: i agree it would totally skrew them up if there was a VERY specific strategy for killing the boss, but all of your original strategies acually helped the boss or somthing... i dunno, its like totally opposite... also i have seen alot of games where if you do a bunch of pointless tasks they accually save the game for you! the peasants that you don't kill, could turn out to be knights that assist you in battle etc. genious!

Haha, yeah "helping", I can see it now. The origianal boss shoots an energy beam that if pick up a shield rune, you reflect and do damage to him. The revamped version you reflect the beam and it says "Boss healed for 10k".

~Asomath

Level 15
don't remember if that was touched, but the idea with beams somewhat reminded me of ol' good Netherspite. in single-player there should be 1 random beam. the hero would have to balance the debuff he gets from blocking the beam and the benefit the beam gives to Netherspite while not blocked.

Level 12
Now that we started talking about how a boss would act in an RPG, this thread has become even cooler! (x10!).
Anyway, What if 2 (wtf) bosses that you already fought, both comeback at once, leading to super chaos. Maybe near the end of the fight, they combine to be one UBER BOSS. He should show traits of both bosses. That would be something i'd come to see.

Level 12
Yeah, (LOL) calming down a boss with ADHD could be an option.
Jus kiddin.
Maybe if you can hold the boss out for long enough, he just gives up. Then he could maybe smash through a door that was previously un-openable, sending you on your way.

TALKING to him? Why not write him some poetry, while your at that...

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Sugar is Sweet
And I love you...
LOL
EDIT: Im' not making fun of that idea, i just thought is was kinda funny.

Level 12
Yeah, that it how it could be applied.
What if you fight a boss in the beginning of the RPG, fail, wake days later, having no clue who you are or what you were doing. Over time you remember everything, and retrain to fight the last boss who is Uber?
About the calming thing, What if there was an RPG where after you defeated a boss, it would pledge to help you defeat the Ultimate End Boss. At the end, ther would be a short cinematic of all the bosses doing there part in fighting the boss and all dying, leaving him at a weak state, so you casn finsh him off. Really, Boss fights can do anything you want them to. My favorites are ones that bend the rules of Warcraft^TM.
That includes deflectables, pushables (knockbacking), typables (say you type -boulder, and boulder spawns next to you.), and PUSH THE BUTTON.
EDIT: One last calming thing, would be like, say the boss is a large cat (Here Pussy Pussy!) You have to insert a drug into his food, say by like givng him a corpse that is Moldy/Rotten/Etc. Making the boss confused majorly, that he might even hurt himself sometimes.

Level 12
Actually, I got the Feedin Idea for Mordorks Quest by Med. Map Guy (Im a huge fan!) but to make an RPG would be in my favor. Would anyone else be willing to join? This RPG would have to include only the best Bosses of all time. To not make them would bring shame to this thread.
OMG <(second time i said that. I think)
Would it be a campaign or more a a huge map?
This Thread shall never die as long as i check it every 4 hours!
EDIT: Where can i get The World Is Flat's Sig about 1337 speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.