• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple model edits for a RPG map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello everybody,

I am seeking the help of any modelers to make simple, yet hard for me, edits on static models (doodads). The models are to be used for a RPG map.

#1 World tree
> Cut the top of the world tree so only roots remain much like a stump. The top should still have the world tree texture (kinda like flattening the top of the tree). The idea is to only use the roots of the models without having this huge trunk in the way.
# 1 model

WorldTreeEdit.PNG

(Model is attached to the post)

Nerub Decorations
#2 Nerub Clumbs
> First add a visible layer to the bottom of the clumbs (they don't have one because you are not supposed to see the bottom of those models but I am using them in a way that reveal the bottom part. This layer can be a simple mirror/copy of the top one.
# 2 models

> Then using these 2 new models, cut the clumbs to have only one piece of it as shown in the pictures below. The idea is to be able to use the pieces to make custom clumbs.
The models should still have a visible bottom. The cut part don't have to be filled (like the vanilla low wall model that don't have visible sides as those models will always have something on the end of them - be it another wall or a pillar).
The origins of the models should be adapted.
# 2 models

ClumbEdit.PNG SmallClumbEdit.PNG

> A bit more complicated edit (I presume), would be to take those cut pieces and have the end of them not form a diagonal but a straight perpendicular line in the same fashion as a classic wall would (basically transform a trapeze like shape into a rectangular shape).
The models should still have a visible bottom but empty sides like requested in the previous edit.
# 2 models

>
Finally, just cut the clumbs in half.
The bottom should be visible. The cut part shouldn't be filled and can be left as is, as it has been requested in the two previous edits.
The origins of the models should be adapted.
# 2 models

ClumbEdit2.PNG SmallClumbEdit2.PNG

(Models are attached to the post)

#3 Nerub Lantern
Just remove the pillar part to only keep the light part.
The light should have a bottom part.
It would be also better to lower the light part to the origin of the model.
# 1 model

LanternEdit.PNG

(Model is attached to the post)

Thank you for reading my post!
If you have any question or if something isn't clear, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Worldtree.mdx
    72.6 KB · Views: 35
  • ClumbLong.mdx
    4.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Clumb.mdx
    3.7 KB · Views: 29
  • NerubLantern.mdx
    7.1 KB · Views: 32
Hey War,

I cannot help you right now, but I was in your position a few years ago when I couldn't make the simplest of edits while having worked on maps for years... You should really try MdlVis. By simply following this tuto (or not) you'll easily make these edits and it will unlock tons of possibilities in the future.

See you around ;)

Level 14
Thank you for the motivating words.
I realized that I had to learn these thing by myself. So, I have been doing that for the past few days.
I still can't do some things and having some issues with even some simple stuff but it's certainly opening tons of customization possibilities which is quite enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.