• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Signature Making Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
What about a competiton about making Signatures. We've all seen great sigs here (mostly by Herio-San). Lets see what you can make by yourself this time.

I havent made any details of the competition yet.

First i think its best to see if people will be interested in joining, and tips on what it should be based on.

(Maybe a theme?)

If this competition does come into play i personally vote Herio-San to judge it, (For all his great Sig making).

So any suggestions and ideas?

Last edited:
Level 10
No thank you. Especially since the best sigs are CnP, so frankly its not much effort.

That is why the judges are going to be experianced artists who could tell weather it is CnP or not.

The best sigs? I dont think so.

Maybe we should have a rule of the artist showing WiP's to prove there was no CnP involved?

Like 3 WIP's throughout, and then the final work. So 4 requirments.

I think it should 50% by poll, and 50% judging, so people dont vote for favorites. (although most of the time they dont.)

The total judge marks should be out of 50.

And for the poll i think that the winning person should get 40, Plus additional points depending on how far he won.

For example, the winning person recieves 26 points, the person in second has 20.

The winner of the poll would recieve 40+6 for the points he won by. (You could recieve bonus points here)

And perhaps 30 points for the second. 20 for the third?

The rest of the points out of 50 are determined by judges.

Maybe it should be judged on:

How well the theme is shown in the art work /15 (Does it fit the theme? Does it express the theme in a unique way or just straight forward?)

The Quality of the picture /20 (Shading, design, layout Etc.)

Just throwing ideas of how i think the contest should go. WHat should the other 15 points be for?

Are you sure he doesn't mean the render? Or do you mean the render/entire sig??

Not sure actually, what do you think it should be?

Well... you may try having some judges that will ask the partecipants to make some sigs of a certain theme. Each contestant will be assigned to a judge. The judge will do the above and then we'll see the the poll in the end :D

What do you think ?

The idea is good, but it would be too complicated and hard to figure out. People will go like "Thats not fair i got the harsh judge!" or what ever. And that would mean we would have to recruit judges AFTER we know who is participating.

And more people might join in later... So we would have to seek even more judges. Its a good idea, but it would have

Many faults.

OR...

Do you mean more than one contestant is assigned to each judge? Like categories?

IF so, how will they be assigned, will it be by draw? By choice?

Any idea's about what the theme should be?

Level 8
And more people might join in later... So we would have to seek even more judges. Its a good idea, but it would have

Many faults.

OR...

Do you mean more than one contestant is assigned to each judge? Like categories?

IF so, how will they be assigned, will it be by draw? By choice?

Any idea's about what the theme should be?

I initially thought to be some judges, and each of them will say a theme for their category. People who want to join his theme will be aked to make a sig. If no partecipant wants to join a judge, and the poor judge is left alone, he can either partecipate in the contest or be a ''helper judge'' for another one.

Something like this, i havent figured out any possible problems or so...

Level 10
Sigs suck anyway.

Then do not post here, and dont make useless comments.

I initially thought to be some judges, and each of them will say a theme for their category. People who want to join his theme will be aked to make a sig. If no partecipant wants to join a judge, and the poor judge is left alone, he can either partecipate in the contest or be a ''helper judge'' for another one.

Something like this, i havent figured out any possible problems or so...

Ya but, people might find an "easy judge" and go for his theme. I think it should be by draw. So people dont ask to switch judges later. I can arrange the draw after the participants sign up.

We can have like, a sign up week, where the judges are picked and the contestants sign up. It could be extended if nessecary.

If so, first thing is first. We need judges.

Experianced Artists: Apply here plz. Mods are basicly instantly judges if they apply.

For users who want to apply to be a judge, if you do not have reputation/recognization between members, then post a work of art so that we may approve of you being a judge.

Im thinking 3-4 Judges are good? 3-4 catagories.

Level 21
About all sigs are CnP'd things and just about all the good sigs use CnP

^ By the fact above I really don't see why CnP would not be allowed, though I don't use it much
|
|

Having a judge assigned to one person is rediculous, imo. Why? It's no where near EQUAL. And if a lot of people join, there might not be enough good people to be judges. Also, the judge could be bias to the person their judging. There should either be one judge or a public vote

Level 10
About all sigs are CnP'd things and just about all the good sigs use CnP

^ By the fact above I really don't see why CnP would not be allowed, though I don't use it much
|
|

Having a judge assigned to one person is rediculous, imo. Why? It's no where near EQUAL. And if a lot of people join, there might not be enough good people to be judges. Also, the judge could be bias to the person their judging. There should either be one judge or a public vote

CnP could be allowed, but to an extent, and besides, they need to follow a theme anyway.

And the above doesnt mention ONE person to a judge.

Should it just be 2-3 judges judging everyone instead? and a public poll?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I don't like this idea, why not just have a concept art contest which test's real artistic skill? If you decide to make this CnP free then why make people freehand signatures rather than full pictures? And if it does include CnP then it's a contest to see who finds the best pictures and uses the best filters.

Level 13
Why not make the theme THW related?
Its not a bad idea, just make sure you include rules against CnP. Therefore the person has to create both the render and the signature. Its not as hard as it would appear. Although, I must admit, I abuse the line tool when freehanding.
Or, maybe instead of creating a signature. Perhaps a new site banner? Just some ideas

Level 10
Maybe we should just make an art contest instead?

Or we can make a new banner too...

Perhaps a new site banner?

I like that idea. Maybe instead of a prize icon, we can have the winners banner used for the site. And some rep.

I dont remember where but i remember Ralle saying some where that he thinks people on THW can make better artwork then the current one.

Level 32
Last post in this thread:
Code:
07-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Other art contests, such as for signatures, user bars, and site graphics are currently under consideration; when begun, they will be announced by administrators or moderators.

~ Dead thread buried in Unapproved contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.