• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Apparently, people in this thread are experiencing the opposite of Writer's Block.

Also, Midnighters, you have made no comment about my proposed idea of adding "Theme" to the judging criteria. Are you going to give an official response?

Level 20
We do :) But I was referring to Ghoulrush/Midnighters, really ;)

IF it were about space marines i'd be screwed already, I know next to nothing about them:

OFF TOPIC - Ish.. :

They work for the imperium that is ruled by a dead, but alive emperor!? Who is really bad ass and corrupt/evil yet also the most pure/benelovent guy on earth :?

That wasn't a piss take either, that is seriously what I have pieced together from various mentions of wh 40k space marines - It's damned confusing.

I prefer the Tau background, they were barbaric, now there not, no one knows why except that the tall people (forget their names) helped them unite and they advanced faster than anyone but we again don't know why due to some wierd space storm obscuring their planet. Simpulse :).

EDIT: I did once read the grey knight omnibus, but it didn't really mention the other chapters and I've actually never played wh 40k properly in my entire life :/ only warhammer fantasy and even that was years ago and I never took it seriously (e.g. didn't have a painted army or stick to the precise rules), just a monthly mess around with my friends... was good fun though, while it lasted.

Level 20
Mega off-topic, but it's really bugging me, does anyone know the precise reason behind books shops now combining sci-fi/fantasy into one 'sci-fi' section?

+ aren't there "more" successful fantasies than sci-fi!? (that isn't to say fantasy is better, merely that there are more authors focussed on that genre?)

Correct me if I'm wrong :) But I really do want to know why!? :(

Level 18
I hope (but I don't know for sure, because the description is a bit vague about it) that 'Structure' includes grammar, and page setup. Last short story contest was not something I'd like to be judging (as either an official judge or in the public poll), because most entries were big chunks of text, crawling with grammar mistakes and lack of comma's and dots. To make this contest a bit more judge-friendly, I hope that the participants will pay very good attention to this.

Level 4
2 Problems I see with this contest... firstly you only have 2 judge spots which isnt enough especially with the increase in the judge voting importance... should be at least 3, preferably 4.

second problem, its still only 5,000 words, probably gonna have some problems there again.

Anyway, I wont be joining this one, have no spark for writing lately. However I will be a judge if one is needed.

Level 18
I think the amount of judges won't be a problem. More judges has both it's up and it's down sides. Besides the up side you mentioned, CaoSong, there's also the problem that we need to wait for more judges to send their review of every story before the results are out. Some contests already have late reviews with just 1 judge, so with more judges you'll only increase the chance that the participants have to wait longer for the final results.
In my opinion 2 or 3 judges is fine, but 1 is too little to get an objective score and 4 is too many for the above mentioned reason.

As for the word limit, I can't say a lot about it, because I simply haven't made any stories lately to imagine how the length influences the difficulty for the participants. However, you have to keep in mind that it's a short story contest, so it should stay short. We don't need any paperwork the size of a Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or The daVinci Code book.

Status
Not open for further replies.