• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shared custom skins for Models bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So essentially, I just uploaded my bunker wall pieces to the model section as a bundle. Each of them use the same custom texture. I had to upload that texture once for each single model, so like 20-30 times. Not only was this a huge bother, but given that the texture is the largest part of the pack, it literally inflated the size to atleast ten times the size it should have been.

So could we get an option in the model section for uploading custom textures once per bundle, instead of once per model?

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Aah. Interesting. I think this is doable. Do you think it would be fine if it recognizes that two models require a texture from the same path and if one with that path is already provided, it won't ask for it again? I mean, as a modeler you want all your models to be usable in the same map at the same time so if textures differ, they have different paths, right?

Level 29
I am sure that if you will check every model on the hive, you will find the same path on unrelated models.
Even if not, this is an issue that could happen with every single model uploaded.
The path is just not enough for the identity of a texture, you have to check the file (e.g. via a checksum).
Think about it this way - why can you override textures in WE by setting the same path? because path isn't identity!
This doesn't mean sharing can't be set, but I doubt it will be as easy as storing a path->file map.

Status
Not open for further replies.