• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The double texture issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Just in case it was never brought up before)

So, uploading models here have this weird quirk where it forces you to upload textures that is not already in wc3 once for each model in the package.

I get the intention: Make sure custom textures is uploaded with the model.
The problem is that it does not check whether the texture is already in the pack.

So you have to upload the same texture once for each model, even if they use the same texture.

In model submissions where every model uses the same texture, like the modern barrels (4 models) I uploaded recently, this means the texture is included in the pack four times.

This cannot be an intentional design choice? It makes the model pack four times as big, since the texture is by far the largest file. Also, does it not absolutely overfill hiveworkshops database in the backend? I cannot imagine there is any advantage in doing it this way.

Level 22
It's clear that bundles were not intended from the beginning. A few years ago, you could only have a single model (and an additional portrait). I guess bundles were added on top of that without redesigning the upload process too much.
Multiple models inside a bundle are also put in individual folders, which seems useless to me when I download. But maybe it's more clear for newbies that way.

I agree with The_Silent that it could be simplified, by letting the user upload the files he wants alltogether in a single folder, and just perform a check at the end to make sure all required textures are available.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
It could be improved. I agree with that. But for the system to assume that you mean the same texture on each upload of alternative versions of one model is wrong. It's better to force the upload and then check if they're the same afterwards. Or allow picking a texture you already uploaded to be part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.