• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadow of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So i got bored a while and thought of this game idea and just wanted to post it somewhere.

After finishing Shadow of war and having more time on my hand to sit around and think. I realized I didn’t want that series to become a trilogy, it took a decent enough ending there is DLC coming out eventually which means the group has some time to think of their next game to deal with the Nemesis system. I had to think what would they do. Sci-fi more fantasy. Then I thought what could use the Nemesis system. Most of you realize what it is but just to get it out of my mind I am going through this. It is a hieratical system of (something) in which there is a power balance that those inside of it must climb up and through to get to the top and be the big guy on top. Where every person in this system has their own unique traits and personalities. In order to make a game work with say an existing franchise and hierarch established. The most prominent in my mind was the Orcs from World of Warcraft, Pre-World of Warcraft, Pre-even Warcraft 1 orcs and humans. Yeah going into lore here. Where the orcs lived on Draenor in clans. Which fits right into the mold Shadow of War started establishing with tribes. I had thought about what would the story, game mechanics, and what not would be involved to make it an enjoyable game and I liked what I thought about. This is the intro (you could skip this paragraph) and here is the meat of what I thought

I am going to label this project as Shadow of Warcraft because why not.

#1 Setting

So what time would this take place in the Warcraft universe. It sure as hell wont work at any point in the world of Warcraft time so we go way back to when they all lived on Draenor and the only thought of Azeroth was non-existant. Everyone lived in clans then and they had alliances and fueds and fighting all around. They were all shamans. Until Ner’zhul decided being a Warlock would be cool. Though in terms of the start of this game I believe it should start some time before Ner’zhul’s apprentice Gul’dan forms the shadow Council. It gives you time to set up a story which is point 2

#2 Story

The story would take place before Warcraft 1 which are the forming of the shadow council, forming of the blackrock clan and eventually the invasion of Azeroth in the first war. And every minor detail in between. Which could include fighting against clans for or against the council, maybe assassination of chieftains so the clans join you. Fighting humans on different fronts the elves dwarves or humans. Starting your own clan to aid Gul’dan or fight against him. If you are reading and think that is all over the place and doesn’t follow a single set story line. Your right, it doesn’t.

The point of view should not be taken from anyone one of the main characters view point. Why you may ask because they have set actions and it would also be boring because they all have set styles of fighting established, if you play Gul’Dan you are a mage no exceptions he isn’t going to spontaneously pick up a dagger and go on an assassination. And Grom Hellscream isn’t going to summon demons or cast curses.

The most logical way is to put you in a third-party perspective of these events. You are random orc named player character #5462 which you have full control of to pick your own path through these events, as explained above. If you don’t like Gul’dan fight him or be neutral and invade, join Gul’dan and be his right hand man who he sends on missions to do his dirty work. With so many more options to pick from. Now lets get into some gameplay mechanics.

The story in the first half would be building up the horde. Forming the shadow council, making more warlock clans, curropting the orcs with demon blood. while the second half of the campaign deals with the invasion of Azeroth. Taking over Stormwind, fighting their heros, seiging their keeps. Until it all wraps up with the siege of Lorderon where Gul’dan takes half the army and leaves. And eventually you fail to take it and have to retreat. And the retreat is where the game ends. That last mission ends the game. And your choice is wether to save fleeing orcs special captains you have bonded with, to die on the field there, or to run away not caring about anyone else.

#3 Character Gameplay

So how would your character work if you are just a random orc. You are given three main stats Strength Agility and Intelligence which will add to your skills, HP, Mana, etc… The skill tree is going to be the most important part about making your character becomes it is up to you which route you take. There are multiple skill trees for different things in Melee you could choose whether you want to use a hammer, axe, or katana. While in magic you could become a shaman, a necrolyte or warlock. Lastly you could go stealthy with knives use bows learn alchemy and maybe some other stuff.

The skill tree essentially has 15 skills, abilities or passives that you can unlock for each type say you want with a max level of 50 you can complete 3 total skill lines, tree whatever or get to what you want in more. With many skills left over, each time you play you can build a different type of orc.

There will also be a few ultimate skill lines which consist of just 5 abilities each, one could be leadership which helps you lead a clan, another could be Fel orc which gives certain stats and buffs, another could be lich which you have greater abilities over the dead. As you play you have to unlock these ultimate skills by certain actions or completing certain skill trees.

Now here is what I like most about this. Your character is a part of the Nemesis system. You are there and have to climb yourself. Unlike in Shadow of War where you influence the system. You and your own character have to fight climb and crawl up it with every other orc. Another thing is that every orc has the same skills to choose from as you. All those skill trees are used by the other orcs as well as yourself.

The only exception would be main character orcs who are special.

#4 World gameplay

So now we get into how the world is different. In Warcraft there are day and night cycles to it so for time passing by you could in fact use actual time passing, but not real time a sped-up version of day and night cycles. When events appear in the world there are so many hours left before it starts and even when you join an event it won’t start any earlier meaning you have to keep track of the time And you can’t do a million and a half things before they go away just because you haven’t died.

Now onto the topic of death. Shadow of War had a way around that which is you being dead already but orcs are quite alive and have one life. But there are altars of storm which players can be revived at. Or incase of Hardcore gameplay mode you can have no second chances. Scary. Honestly thinking of a good way to incorporate it escapes me but this is just a detailed idea of a game.

Being a part of the nemesis system also means that the orcs need more intimate relations with each other. Since you can’t mind control them (warlock path maybe?) you have to build relations with positive or negative effects. So, your nemesis would actually hate you to the bone and changing that would be hard.

The map in Shadow of Warcraft would be a large open-world (duh) map with 3 explorable areas in Draenor. Each with different environments and 5 orc strongholds each. There would be mostly 1 clan ruling each stronghold and they are the major powers. It could be something you strive to conquer or you can join.

The other half would be 2-3 other maps in Azeroth dealing with conquering the human lands and keeps leading to one big world to explore.

Another part of the game would be to make a clan and control it. With a pseudo strategy element(I like it and blizzard is known for strategy games). Where you can order around those in the clan. With an element of what type of clan you want to be. If you use a sword one of the unlockable skills would be that all your base grunts now wield swords instead of axes changing the dynamic of the clan. Wether you want shamans, mages, ogres, or beast riders. Conquering lands sending your captains on specific missions. To deploying grunts to certain regions so that when traveling through them you will encounter your clans orcs more often and they will assist you

Now something about this is that the story events would unfold maybe to fast or other things such as the abrupt ending. So there would be a pure Sandbox mode, no main character orcs just random generated orcs. Where you could form your own shadow council, become the war chief of the horde and lead orcs to invade azeroth and maybe even conquer lorderon. You can become the main character there instead of watching the events in a third-party perspective.

#5 Extra

Ideas for DLC for it would probably be 2 extra story campaigns which I thought of would be the destruction of the Draenei, and following Gul’dan to get the eye of Sargeras. Others could include being able to play as an ogre or troll (green skin not blue).

Now a main idea would be for an expansion game. Which would take place in the second war except this time you are not the orcs you play as the alliance. You start the game as a soldier in the fight in lorderon and you work your way up to being a captain over a fort and more. As the second war starts and the invasion of Draenor begins. Something this expansion would add to the game is more 1 or 2 more maps in both Azeroth and Draenor. And access to artifacts which can give bonuses to your clan, self, or skills.

This is most of my ideas on Shadow of Warcraft. I think that it could be fun and has a lot of replay ability if made right. if you have any other ideas add to the idea and maybe this could be made one day. I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.