• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Shadow Calculation time/frozen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I have started the shadow calculation function of the editor (i use the sharpcraft expansion from Hive) 1,5 hours ago for my map. But it is still calculating and the loading bar in the small loading window has disappeared. Also there is now the little blue loading ring instead of the mouse now. In the small loading window is also now written "No Response". Is this normal? Should i just let it load till tomorrow morning, or longer? Or has it frozen and it doesn't load/calculate shadows at all?

I have started the shadow calculation function of the editor (i use the sharpcraft expansion from Hive) 1,5 hours ago for my map. But it is still calculating and the loading bar in the small loading window has disappeared. Also there is now the little blue loading ring instead of the mouse now. In the small loading window is also now written "No Response". Is this normal? Should i just let it load till tomorrow morning, or longer? Or has it frozen and it doesn't load/calculate shadows at all?

I have heard of it taking an entire night or something for Zwiebelchen's Gaias ORPG, so yes you may have to wait and it may not be frozen. Is your map big and does it have lots of doodads and such?

Luckily for you there's a 3rd party tool that can calculate shadows at a much faster rate.

Shadowmap Calculator (Made by Oger-Lord)

Level 7
I have heard of it taking an entire night or something for Zwiebelchen's Gaias ORPG, so yes you may have to wait and it may not be frozen. Is your map big and does it have lots of doodads and such?

Luckily for you there's a 3rd party tool that can calculate shadows at a much faster rate.

Shadowmap Calculator (Made by Oger-Lord)
The time is no problem for me, even if it takes 1 or 2 days i would still do it. But i just want to be sure that it's not frozen because then it wouldn't make sense to let it load and wait. And for some reason the loading bar in the small loading window has disappeared. And on top of that window next to 'Progress' is written 'no response', in German of course. The mouse has become normal again, and now it's a small blue rotating ring again. I just hope that it is calculating and loading and NOT frozen.

Level 13
Yea, that's normal. It may say "not responding" and such, but don't touch it. In fact, I'd just let it run in the background and don't even look at it.
Even on a decent computer, it takes just over an hour or 2 for my 256x256 sized maps.
God help me when I want to calculate this 384x384 I'm working on...

Level 7
After i restarted the shadow calculation the loading bar appeared again and now it already runs for 1,5 days. The loading bar is still there this time and it shows that it will be finished approximately tonight. Then it will have needed 2 days to calculate the shadows for my map on my laptop. This could be a new record.:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 7
Clearly something is broken with it the fact it takes 2 days to calculate shadows...

Modern computer hardware should be able to calculate reasonably accurate shadows for an entire map in under 1 second.
It is finished now. It took 2,5 days. My computer is a few years old, but much newer than the game. I am in the end satisfied with the results. Fun fact: I had a nightmare this night in which the calculation had an error and suddenly stopped and the whole loading time was for nothing. But then i woke up and noticed that it has successfully finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.