• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Several Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've been working on a map and I've been avoiding asking for help until I reached a stopping point with the stuff I did already know, but now I've got some questions.

1) In the LotR games I've noticed on B.N, there's a Faction Selection pull down beside the Color Selection pull down and Race Selection pull down. How was this accomplished?

2) When I scale down a structure, I normally get left with the original ground texture, how do I remove/rescale the ground texture?

3) How do I go about making a passive aura ability?

Level 9
To create a passive aura you need to create 2 behaviors and 1 search area effect. The first behavior is the source of the aura that has a periodic effect of the search area that will cast the second behavior.

Level 5
For scaling go to the Barracks Unit and there Actors click on Barracks under Actors and go to the Art tab under the barracks actor. There you have scaling to X,Y,Z change values there, there is no ground texture.

Take a terran building and decrease the scaling below 1. Then tell me there are no ground textures. I already know how to scale a building; that wasn't what I was asking. If it's not called a ground texture whatever, there's a definite footprint type thing below the building that I can't figure out how to remove/resize.

Darkness, mind explaining it in more detail or linking me to a tutorial somewhere?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Game attribute created and set to be for each player. You can make them global (appear on the right of screen options) or per team (not tested) as well.

2. The ground texture is probably another actor, try adjusting its scale separatly if there even is one.

3. You need 2 buff behaviours and some effects. One of the buffs is for the aura owner and can probably be hidden. The other is the actual aura effect (any stat modifications or effects the aura does). The aura owner buff runs effects to get all units in the aura effect area and for each of them run the add behaviour of type actual aura buff. The acutal aura buff has an expiration of slightly longer than the aura selection time so as to allow it to be constantly active and for behaviour like WC3 where the aura would fade after a while outside the effect area.

Level 5
Ok, so I found out that the Ground Textures are the Splat actors. I'll have to try messing around with the game attributes.

EDIT: Ah yes, I remembered another one of my questions. How do I change the morph animation of a unit to be the same as that unit's construction animation. For Example, a supply depot morphs into a barracks; how would I make that animation of that morph be the Barracks' construction animation?

EDIT2: How do I change the supply limit?

Last edited:
Level 5
Bump since the last question wasn't answered and I have another one. How do I get start locations to work on a UMS map? I've gotten it to work for a melee map but not UMS, and I'm pretty sure I should haven't to just trigger it...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ah yes, I remembered another one of my questions. How do I change the morph animation of a unit to be the same as that unit's construction animation. For Example, a supply depot morphs into a barracks; how would I make that animation of that morph be the Barracks' construction animation?
Modify the events for the build actors (yes the build effects have specific actors). You will need to add event/parameter/action code to the actor which will make it include your new building and trigger on the morph opperation. Additionally you may wish to copy it if you are concerned about messing up the construction for other buildings at the same time.

How do I change the supply limit?
Its the race catalogue or gameplay constants catalogue in the data editor (forget which one but I think the race). There should be a field for max supply. Additionally triggers may be able to alter the max supply.

Level 5
It's in the Race under Food Ceiling.

But ok, so I went and made a new Race, and I was hoping that by making a new Race, in the Unit's area, a new folder would open up for that Race's units. That didn't happen.

Is there a way to add folders in there?

EDIT: Nvm. Last night when I was working on this, the option to make a unit a part of said new race wasn't up there, but this morning it was. Weird.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its called SC2E has referential integrity problems still apparently. Restarting the editor will rebuild all references cached in the editor and thus allow them to appear.

Do check that any custom races can actually my choosen from the game lobby. Removing races does not seem to remove items from the list thus there is a slim chance that adding races will not do make them appear on the list.

EDIT: Nvm. Last night when I was working on this, the option to make a unit a part of said new race wasn't up there, but this morning it was. Weird.

Try saving the map when you want the editor to update your changes between panels (buttons to units, buttons to other buttons, etc).

Edit: And other things in general as well. As soon as I make any sort of change to a trigger or unit I save the map.
I actually had my PC freeze and crash once while I was working on my lost in space map.
I had (not 15 seconds beforehand) saved the map, and it was the first time in over 5 hours I had done so.
I got very, very lucky.
Since then.. I save.. often.

Level 5
How do I make a weapon use a particular turret. I have a unit using the Hellion Model with the Vulture attack, but I can't seem to make the new Hellion unit have its turret move around and use the Vulture attack like the old Hellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.