• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Several GUI Spell Requests! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey there!

I have just started work on my second project (Glaz'Dek Rebellion) which, unlike my first, actually needs some pretty snazzy spells. Unfortunately, all of my attempts at creating what I want so far have fallen into the dust, so I thought that asking some skilled fellows is the best way to go about it!

Ranger Hero:

Disengage:
Fires an arrow at target enemy (for modifiable damage) and leaps backward (a modifiable distance; this spell should not be able to pass through trees/walls/movement blockers if at all possible!)
Shadow Walk:
Short term (modifiable duration) stealth ability that damages all enemies within a small AoE (modifiable damage) when activated (works like Windwalk; can walk through units!). Does extra damage when coming out of Shadow Walk on the first attack, and additional damage if the enemy unit is under the effect of the Bouncing Arrow mark.

Mage Hero:

Flux Pull:
Pulls all enemy units within an AoE (modifiable) to the caster, damaging and stunning them (damage and stun time modifiable).
Flux Push:
Pushes back all enemies within an AoE (modifiable) of the caster, damaging (modifiable damage) them and slowing them for (modifiable) seconds.
Flux Jump:
Teleports (more of a super fast dash with a spell effect if possible) to a target point, pushing back all enemies within a (modifiable) AoE, damaging and slowing them (modifiable).
Overloaded Manipulation:
Charges for X seconds, then unleashes a huge beam of energy in the direction of target point for (modifiable) seconds, damaging any units within the AoE of the beam for small (modifiable) for as long as they stay in the beam. Slows any units effected for X seconds.

Legionnaire Hero:

Circular Slash:
The Legionnaire spins around in a circle, slashing all nearby enemies (modifiable per level) and knocking them back a small distance.
Crushing Blows:
The Legionnaire becomes enraged, smashing his foe brutally with his attacks. For X (modifiable per level) seconds, he deals additional damage, and anything killed by him while he is under the effect of the spell will explode, dealing small damage (modifiable per level) to nearby units.
Titan's Blow:
Uses a huge burst of energy to smash the target enemy backwards, dealing huge (configurable) damage, and knocking up any enemies the first enemy goes through, also dealing damage (configurable) to them.
That's all for now! It would be super duper appreciated if anyone would attempt these spells, though I'm in no rush for them just yet :) Don't feel pressured into doing all of one class, I don't mind if you only attempt one or even none at all.

If you have any suggestions as well, I would be very grateful!

Cheers,

Maldruzard

P.S. If you do attempt a spell here, I would prefer it if it were MUI (not totally necessary, just would be awesome!) and has all of it's values modifiable by level (kinda necessary!). The reason I want GUI spells is so I can understand them, change them, and fix them if I break something; though I shall attempt to learn Jass soon!

Last edited:
Level 5
Hey there! Updated the spell layouts to make them more understandable.

To extend my post: All spells here apart from 'Overloaded Manipulation' should be viable for at least three level ups.

Would greatly appreciate if someone attempted any of the spells, I now kinda need them to continue work on my current RPG project :)

Cheers!

Level 9
hey just a tip....

you requested a hugh number of spells for a map we dont know....so we dont know whether the map has the potential to take the time to make all these spells.
so post your map in the map development here and add a link to it in this thread and you will have a much higher chance to get the spells made.

Level 5
That is indeed a fair point! I had been meaning to set up a thread at some point soon, the only problem being that a lot of my map is going to be dependent on the limitations of the heroes, as well as the spells that they can manipulate. I suppose I could write about what I have done so far and the future plans for it... We shall see!

Although, I am not asking for one person to make multiple spells for this, I would be super grateful for someone to even attempt one... though investing any time into making something is definitely better with some assurance it's going towards a good cause, I suppose :)

Cheers

Level 8
"The Legionnaire spins around in a circle with his weapon extended, slashing all nearby enemies (modifiable per level) and knocking them back a small distance"

If i make him fart while he does that, what will i earn?

The weapon extension is depended on model animation, and not spell configuration. So if you don't have a model you like, that has a specific animation (which i doubt you will find because other than your spell its a quite worthless animation) you cant proceed as you imagined. The others are doable however.

Level 5
I apologize for the needless detail, that part of the spell's description isn't actually something I want in the spell, it was merely flavour text! :)

Edit: Fixed it to avoid further confusion!

Level 5
you should try to make the spells yourself . if they leak or cause fatal errors that will just be something which distinguishes your map :D

Maybe I could also get away with calling half-assed terrain and default Blizzard spells and items 'unique gameplay'? ;L

Nobody uses Blizzard Cliffs anymore, I am unique!

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 5
I've never really had much of a problem with GUI spells when they are made well, I suppose they have a bad reputation because people that know JASS are generally rahter experienced triggerers, whereas any new mapper can attempt their own custom spells with GUI, and without knowledge and experience that would often turn out terribly :L

Level 16
Wow you people are real Jass-haters aren't you? But you get the point wrong, I just wanted to talk about if he might would change his opinion and would accept vjass spells too, so I can help him, since everyone seems to be just ignore his spell request.
But when he stay at GUI, then I can't help him because I'm not that familiar with GUI anymore.

Level 8
Wow you people are real Jass-haters aren't you? But you get the point wrong, I just wanted to talk about if he might would change his opinion and would accept vjass spells too, so I can help him, since everyone seems to be just ignore his spell request.
But when he stay at GUI, then I can't help him because I'm not that familiar with GUI anymore.

Dude, we are all trying to help each other out. There is no hatred. But you really need to understand that inexperienced people, can not learn JASS. Thats why GUI exists.. he wants them in GUI as he said so he can see them and understand them..

Level 5
Updated my Map Dev post with a screenshot of the first area of map: The starting city in which you choose what class you want to play as (after testing them in the Armory), which also contains a few other optional quests that you may choose to do. This area is pretty complete in terms of actual content; terrain less so!

Starting work on the first island tomorrow, already got one part of the main questline done for it, moving onto the next part ASAP!

Is that enough to warrant that this project is in progress and won't be abandoned in the next day? :p

Level 11
Do these all need to be multi-unit instanceable (more than one unit owned by the same player can cast the spell) or just multi-user instanceable (one unit per player capable of casting these spells)?

Level 11
Bouncing Arrow:
A point target missiley spell that fires a dark arrow (modifiable damage per level) that damages the first enemy it hits (modifiable damage per level) and then jumps to nearby enemies (like chain lightning). Each enemy hit gets damaged and has a mark put on them (for modifiable seconds). This mark is detonated when they take damage from the caster, and stuns them for 2 seconds.
Is the jumping portion a projectile as well, or a homing missile? Can it bounce to the same target more than once?

Flux Jump:
Teleports (more of a super fast dash with a spell effect if possible) to a target point, pushing back all enemies within a (modifiable) AoE, damaging and slowing them (modifiable).
Does the damage/pushback apply only at the arrival point or for the full duration of the dash?

Circular Slash:
The Legionnaire spins around in a circle, slashing all nearby enemies (modifiable per level) and knocking them back a small distance.
Are you using a blademaster model for this hero? I can't do the spinning part otherwise. Or, I probably could, but it would look horrible.

Crushing Blows:
The Legionnaire becomes enraged, smashing his foe brutally with his attacks. For X (modifiable per level) seconds, he deals additional damage, and anything killed by him while he is under the effect of the spell will explode, dealing small damage (modifiable per level) to nearby units.
Anything killed by any source of damage or just basic attacks? Flat damage increase or %? Damage increase applies only to basic attacks or also abilities?

Level 5
Is the jumping portion a projectile as well, or a homing missile? Can it bounce to the same target more than once?

Does the damage/pushback apply only at the arrival point or for the full duration of the dash?

Are you using a blademaster model for this hero? I can't do the spinning part otherwise. Or, I probably could, but it would look horrible.

Anything killed by any source of damage or just basic attacks? Flat damage increase or %? Damage increase applies only to basic attacks or also abilities?

- The jumping portion is a homing missile, i.e. chain lightning style. Preferably I would want it to only hit each unit once :)

----------

- The full duration if possible, though perhaps smaller damage and pushback along the dash, and bigger values at the arrival point?

----------

- The model I am using has a ton of extra animations, but no spin :( Although, he does have a animation where he extends his hand out to stab an enemy, so maybe that combined with a quick spin could look decent with a special effect? :)

----------

- All killing blows by him from anything he does (i.e. auto attacks or spells) should proc the effect, and it should be a flat damage increase that only effects his auto attacks if possible :)

Sorry for not specifying all this in my main post, it's easy for me to forget the important details! :)

Level 11
First one is done, let me know if you need anything explained or modified, or just have a question. The spell's visual effects are very simple - if you want flashier I can touch it up some.

Couple things worth clarifying: you've got several spells using some kind of triggered movement, so I'm going to use a single modifiable knockback trigger for all of them - it's a little lazy but as far as I'm aware it has no noticeable effect on memory usage or anything.

For the mark portion of the spell, the mark buff will refresh its duration when struck by a second arrow from another caster - but you'll only be able to stun a marked enemy if your arrow damaged them, and only once per cast, though the mark buff itself remains until all marks have been triggered. So it's not perfect, but it's as close as I think I can get with the way WC3 buffs work.

Also, I'm using Bribe's GUI damage engine. It makes life easier. Remember to credit him.

Finally - I put 0 effort into the test map. It's flat dirt with gnolls. Enjoy!

Attachments

• bouncing arrow.w3x
    39.7 KB · Views: 50
Level 5
Awesome, exactly what I wanted! Glad all of the stuff is so easily configurable, will make balancing everything so much easier! :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.