1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Settlers of Rahgaer - A Squad Based Strategy

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Wazzz, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Settlers of Rahgaer

Settlers of Rahgaer is, as you may have gathered, a real time strategy involving the use of squads. However, there is much more to this mod than just that.

History
    Over time, I put my main focus on the gameplay. When it came to the gameplay, my initial ideas were that you deployed your units and unit squads, got whatever leaders you wanted and supplied upgrades (which are symbolised by items) for each unit/unit squad/leader individually. Unit squads would be more limited when it came to upgrades as opposed to single units and leaders, but with the good reason that their numbers were simply higher. Essentially, the base gameplay was inspired by the Warhammer tabletop game. You also started with a set number of points which are required to deploy units and get upgrades in the first place.

However, that alone was a limited spectrum, so I decided to think of how I could include more into the gameplay. So, I included multiple game modes, similar to that of the most popular FPS's (such as the Halo and Unreal Tournament series).

Gameplay
    In the map I have worked on for now, there are 2 players (1v1) and 4 game modes. The game modes are as follows:

Deathmatch: Possibly the most basic game mode, Deathmatch is simply a match where you must eliminate all enemy units.

Control The Points: In this game mode, you must capture every Control Point on the map. The Control Points will not appear until both players say they are ready (using the 'Ready' ability available at the barracks). Deathmatch rules still apply.

Hold The Points: Similar to the last one, the Hold The Points game mode requires you to aquire a predetermined number of victory points obtained only by capturing Control Points. As with the Control The Points game mode, both players must be ready before the Control Points will appear. Deathmatch rules still apply.

Timed Deathmatch: Just like Deathmatch, except you have a timer. Basically, if the timer expires before a winner is determined, the player with the biggest army (determined by counting the number of units, unit squads and leaders owned by each player) is the winner. While it may seem that spamming the cheaper, weaker units would present an advantage here, certain single units could smash through such units with ease, so, as always, a mixed army of what you want and need is advisable.

There are also other options, but I won't present them like I presented the game modes. Basically, there's an option to have Creeps enabled or disabled, and you may also choose the number of points each player is given. Player 1 is the one who selects the gameplay options.

In future, I hope to do bigger maps supporting more players, while including more game modes such as Team Deathmatch and other team-based game modes.

The Races
    For the races, I have at the moment only done the Orcs and the Humans. The Orcs have been balanced quite thoroughly by me, but the opinions of others would be nice as well. The Humans have not been as thoroughly tested, although I am quite sure they are balanced enough to ensure decent gameplay. However, I would like for them to be more thoroughly tested in future. The other races I plan to include (in future) are as follows:

Elves, Undead, Lizardmen, Demons and Dark Elves.

How You Can Help
    I will need some modellers for a couple of these races, so if you are reading this and have interest in joining me in my project, please do let me know via PM (or, if you must, VM). We will discuss it from there. Someone who can make a projectile system using either Jass or vJass would also be appreciated (for reasons I shall later disclose to the individual).

Future Plans
    I might (emphasis on the 'might') make the mod compatible for the single player, but at the moment it will only be truly playable throuh multiplayer. That is not to say that you can not check the map out on your own, but it is highly advised that you play this map across Garena or Battle.NET (or whatever other method there may be to play across the internet or LAN).

You will find attached to this post a demo map for the mod. Use it wisely.

Also, any feedback viewers have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I suggest you post some screenshots. Most people judge stuff visually, so without pics nobody will care.

And the map seems bugged, when I issue to attack on opposite side, the units disappear and appear near barracks.

3. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Mechanical Man: Duely noted about the screenies, I'll make some later, tho, it's getting late here.

As for the bug, that's to do with the deployment phase. When you go too far during the deployment phase, the units doing so will be put back to their original position. I have thought of ways to do this better, though, and I think I can find a way to improve on that.

4. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just use pathing blockers and just have them disappear once the round begins

5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Pyramidhe@d: Yeah, that's the alternative solution I was thinking of, although I was reluctant to do it at first because I use the ground blockers for the mountains, and would need to block air as well. I guess I'll have to trigger a replacement there.

@Mechanical Man: I may or may not make it that you can hit ready more than once, but it seems rather pointless as the victory trigger will stop you from doing anything else after killing just one unit. This is because it will know that your opponent doesn't have any units or unit squads. I will also trigger it so that you win if your opponent doesn't have any units or unit squads as soon as everyone is ready, too.

@Everyone else: Please feel free to leave a comment of feedback about my map or the description, it would be most helpful to me :3

6. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This kicks arse.... I really look forward to completion.

7. krisserz

krisserz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Pretty fun map ;p
    Keep working! ^^

8. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would like to know what race people would like me to work on next. I have some pretty cool ideas for Demons, so I reckon they'll be one of the two races I'll work on next, but what else would people like to see?

The options are: Elves and Undead.

The reason the Lizardmen and the Dark Elves aren't yet options is because I have yet to get a modeller (primarily for the Lizardmen, but the Dark Elves may also require some models, I have yet to have a thorough search). So, which will it be?

9. krisserz

krisserz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Elves! ;p
    Elves are good, and will be pretty easy to make ^^

10. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Undead! Join the darkness!!!

11. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So this is sorta like Warhammer? I once made a map like this... Well, good luck on the project and I say ELVES!

12. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, it appears that the balance is tipping in the Elves favour atm (sorry, Midnighters, but majority rules :p). There are a few ideas I plan to implement in the Elf race that are rather complicated, but once I figure out how to do them it will be smooth sailing pretty much from there on :p

I plan to make the Elves unique (as I plan to make all my races unique :p) and hope that in doing so I can create an Elf race that is very worthy of the good people at the hive ;)

13. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Aww! But what about embracing the darkness?!?

14. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What about it? Elves are simple, they're like humans with bigger ears.

PS. Wazzz, you may want to check out my map, Kingdoms of Legend. It might give you some ideas. The map link is in my signature.

15. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That doesn't make much sense at all. The Elves are a like humans with bigger ears? Be that as it may, how does it make their race any more simple than any of the others? Each race is unique and individual and is planned out to have its own unique factors in terms of both strategy and how it functions (not so much the latter, though, as there are no buildings in this mod :p)

16. Lag_Reviews

Lag_Reviews

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome Description!

:D nice

It sounds all good in the description. I will review it soon :p (maybe or I'll wait until its closer to being out of the test/beta stage)

Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the finished project,
    Lag_Reviews :p

PS: Thanks for the rep, sorry it took so long for me to post on here.

17. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's alright :p

I hope you do like it, but there is one thing I should mention now. It's regarding the Airship's Bombard ability. I didn't get around to changing it completely, so I do apologize for that incomplete factor and it will be fixed in the next version. So will the sizes of the AoE bubble things for deploying the units.

Well, I think I'll get back into doing some work on this project soon, just decided to take a little break from it for a while :p

The Demons are first on my agenda, and the Elves will be next.

18. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In terms of cosmetics, elves are similar. Also in terms of beliefs and values, humans and elves are similar.

I've got a suggestion. You know when you hold shift and click on units to add 'em? Well, in maps like this you can't but you can make a selection group. e.g.

SELECTINATING:
    Events: Player 1 selects a dude.
    Conditions: Owner =Player 1/2|Triggering dude is a structure = false
    Actions:
    Add that dude's squad captain (the one you control) to P1SelectionGroup
    Select P1SelectionGroup for Player 1

EMPTY THE GROUP:
    Events: Player 1 skips a cinematic
    Conditions: N/A
    Actions:
    Clear P1SelectionGroup

Something like that. Only a suggestion.

19. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, in my map, Humans and Elves do not share similar beliefs at all. The Elves are all for the good of the forest and a little more so purity of light, whereas the Humans are a monopolistic race with no real moral values that benefits anything other than themselves.

As for what you suggested, although I do appreciate the idea, the squad system itself is in vJass and is very complicated. Also, I don't think it's of too greater importance to do something like that considering that you can still shift+click and drag.

20. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Embrace the darkness!! Come on....