• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Settlers of Rahgaer - A Squad Based Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Settlers of Rahgaer

Settlers of Rahgaer is, as you may have gathered, a real time strategy involving the use of squads. However, there is much more to this mod than just that.

History
Over time, I put my main focus on the gameplay. When it came to the gameplay, my initial ideas were that you deployed your units and unit squads, got whatever leaders you wanted and supplied upgrades (which are symbolised by items) for each unit/unit squad/leader individually. Unit squads would be more limited when it came to upgrades as opposed to single units and leaders, but with the good reason that their numbers were simply higher. Essentially, the base gameplay was inspired by the Warhammer tabletop game. You also started with a set number of points which are required to deploy units and get upgrades in the first place.

However, that alone was a limited spectrum, so I decided to think of how I could include more into the gameplay. So, I included multiple game modes, similar to that of the most popular FPS's (such as the Halo and Unreal Tournament series).

Gameplay
In the map I have worked on for now, there are 2 players (1v1) and 4 game modes. The game modes are as follows:

Deathmatch: Possibly the most basic game mode, Deathmatch is simply a match where you must eliminate all enemy units.

Control The Points: In this game mode, you must capture every Control Point on the map. The Control Points will not appear until both players say they are ready (using the 'Ready' ability available at the barracks). Deathmatch rules still apply.

Hold The Points: Similar to the last one, the Hold The Points game mode requires you to aquire a predetermined number of victory points obtained only by capturing Control Points. As with the Control The Points game mode, both players must be ready before the Control Points will appear. Deathmatch rules still apply.

Timed Deathmatch: Just like Deathmatch, except you have a timer. Basically, if the timer expires before a winner is determined, the player with the biggest army (determined by counting the number of units, unit squads and leaders owned by each player) is the winner. While it may seem that spamming the cheaper, weaker units would present an advantage here, certain single units could smash through such units with ease, so, as always, a mixed army of what you want and need is advisable.

There are also other options, but I won't present them like I presented the game modes. Basically, there's an option to have Creeps enabled or disabled, and you may also choose the number of points each player is given. Player 1 is the one who selects the gameplay options.

In future, I hope to do bigger maps supporting more players, while including more game modes such as Team Deathmatch and other team-based game modes.

The Races
For the races, I have at the moment only done the Orcs and the Humans. The Orcs have been balanced quite thoroughly by me, but the opinions of others would be nice as well. The Humans have not been as thoroughly tested, although I am quite sure they are balanced enough to ensure decent gameplay. However, I would like for them to be more thoroughly tested in future. The other races I plan to include (in future) are as follows:

Elves, Undead, Lizardmen, Demons and Dark Elves.

How You Can Help
I will need some modellers for a couple of these races, so if you are reading this and have interest in joining me in my project, please do let me know via PM (or, if you must, VM). We will discuss it from there. Someone who can make a projectile system using either Jass or vJass would also be appreciated (for reasons I shall later disclose to the individual).

Future Plans
I might (emphasis on the 'might') make the mod compatible for the single player, but at the moment it will only be truly playable throuh multiplayer. That is not to say that you can not check the map out on your own, but it is highly advised that you play this map across Garena or Battle.NET (or whatever other method there may be to play across the internet or LAN).

You will find attached to this post a demo map for the mod. Use it wisely.

Also, any feedback viewers have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• (2)Badlands - Settlers of Rahgaer.w3x
    3.8 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Level 35
@Mechanical Man: Duely noted about the screenies, I'll make some later, tho, it's getting late here.

As for the bug, that's to do with the deployment phase. When you go too far during the deployment phase, the units doing so will be put back to their original position. I have thought of ways to do this better, though, and I think I can find a way to improve on that.

Level 35
@Pyramidhe@d: Yeah, that's the alternative solution I was thinking of, although I was reluctant to do it at first because I use the ground blockers for the mountains, and would need to block air as well. I guess I'll have to trigger a replacement there.

@Mechanical Man: I may or may not make it that you can hit ready more than once, but it seems rather pointless as the victory trigger will stop you from doing anything else after killing just one unit. This is because it will know that your opponent doesn't have any units or unit squads. I will also trigger it so that you win if your opponent doesn't have any units or unit squads as soon as everyone is ready, too.

@Everyone else: Please feel free to leave a comment of feedback about my map or the description, it would be most helpful to me :3

Level 35
I would like to know what race people would like me to work on next. I have some pretty cool ideas for Demons, so I reckon they'll be one of the two races I'll work on next, but what else would people like to see?

The options are: Elves and Undead.

The reason the Lizardmen and the Dark Elves aren't yet options is because I have yet to get a modeller (primarily for the Lizardmen, but the Dark Elves may also require some models, I have yet to have a thorough search). So, which will it be?

Level 35
Well, it appears that the balance is tipping in the Elves favour atm (sorry, Midnighters, but majority rules :p). There are a few ideas I plan to implement in the Elf race that are rather complicated, but once I figure out how to do them it will be smooth sailing pretty much from there on :p

I plan to make the Elves unique (as I plan to make all my races unique :p) and hope that in doing so I can create an Elf race that is very worthy of the good people at the hive ;)

Level 35
That doesn't make much sense at all. The Elves are a like humans with bigger ears? Be that as it may, how does it make their race any more simple than any of the others? Each race is unique and individual and is planned out to have its own unique factors in terms of both strategy and how it functions (not so much the latter, though, as there are no buildings in this mod :p)

Level 7
Awesome Description!

:D nice

It sounds all good in the description. I will review it soon :p (maybe or I'll wait until its closer to being out of the test/beta stage)

Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the finished project,
Lag_Reviews :p

PS: Thanks for the rep, sorry it took so long for me to post on here.

Level 35
That's alright :p

I hope you do like it, but there is one thing I should mention now. It's regarding the Airship's Bombard ability. I didn't get around to changing it completely, so I do apologize for that incomplete factor and it will be fixed in the next version. So will the sizes of the AoE bubble things for deploying the units.

Well, I think I'll get back into doing some work on this project soon, just decided to take a little break from it for a while :p

The Demons are first on my agenda, and the Elves will be next.

In terms of cosmetics, elves are similar. Also in terms of beliefs and values, humans and elves are similar.

I've got a suggestion. You know when you hold shift and click on units to add 'em? Well, in maps like this you can't but you can make a selection group. e.g.

SELECTINATING:
Events: Player 1 selects a dude.
Conditions: Owner =Player 1/2|Triggering dude is a structure = false
Actions:
Add that dude's squad captain (the one you control) to P1SelectionGroup
Select P1SelectionGroup for Player 1

EMPTY THE GROUP:
Events: Player 1 skips a cinematic
Conditions: N/A
Actions:
Clear P1SelectionGroup

Something like that. Only a suggestion.

Level 35
Well, in my map, Humans and Elves do not share similar beliefs at all. The Elves are all for the good of the forest and a little more so purity of light, whereas the Humans are a monopolistic race with no real moral values that benefits anything other than themselves.

As for what you suggested, although I do appreciate the idea, the squad system itself is in vJass and is very complicated. Also, I don't think it's of too greater importance to do something like that considering that you can still shift+click and drag.

Level 35
@Midnighters: Lol, well, if you feel strongly enough about me doing the Undead before the Elves, please do commence a debate with the Elf supporters on this thread :p
That way I could way up the different points and attack the issue with a decision of my own based on the arguments of both sides :3

Okay, so Elves supporters, why do you say elves over undead?

The reason I say undead over elves is for the fact that, even though he is making each race different, the fighting style will be much the same as humans.
Atleast with undead, you get a different way to fight, rather then just running full force, you will need strategy.

Level 35
Midnighters, although this is a very good point, the Elves and Humans will have completel different strategies. Perhaps I should explain the neutral side of the argument.

Each race follows a loose structure that holds the game together. However, the structure itself is mixed about and so on, but this alone does not create a fully unique aspect. In my game there are the following unit classes:

Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Flyers, Casters, Cavalry, Ranged, Artillery and Leaders

Most (if not all) races repeat a certain role with another unit, although the two unit of the same role are entirely different. Then there's the Special unit that fits either none of the roles or multiple roles. These units also present a unique gameplay aspect for the race. As those who have already played my demo map will know, the Orcs have the Troll Drummer as their Special unit (a unit with high health, no attack and a range of three different auras to choose from for each Drummer) and the Humans have their Airship (a flying mechanical unit that can transport units/unit squads from point A to B as well as Bombard the ground).

The Troll Drummer boosts a chosen statistic of nearby Orc units, demonstrating that the Orcs rely on their bulk and high combat statistics in battle over strategic placement (although both still play an important role for all races). The Airship demonstrates that the Humans can dominate the battlefield with superior unit movement, giving them a certain advantage when it comes to controlling territory.

The Elves and Undead have their own unique factors. The Undead rely on regeneration (as people will see when I make the race) while the Elves rely on standard battle tactics with a twist (as people will see when I make the race).

Despite me saying all of this, I do agree with Midnighters in the argument that the Undead are much more different from the existing races in terms of tactics, and will take that into consideration. Any points for the Elves? Or any further points for the Undead from Midnighters?

Well, like Midnighters stated, Undead has a very unique fighting style. Then why don't you start off with the easy ones ie. elves and then work on the harder ones? That means you'll get more races done quicker.

Plus, elves are unique too. Just because they're alive don't mean they aren't special. From what you said about the forest-worship I take that to mean your elves are similar to the night elves, and night elves are not similar at all to the humans. If you are basing it off the night elves, then the elven race probably uses stealth, agility and their superior ranged skills which is much different to the human strategies.

Also, in the beginning once you are ready and the other player isn't, instead of using that weird trigger where you leave the region and come back, you can simply do a ((Pick Every Unit Matching Structure = False, Pause Picked Unit)) triggered every time you summon new units, and then when both players are ready, unpause! It should work with the vJass.

Level 35
The problem with pausing every unit is that I want the players to be able to position their units the way they want to. Also, the range for the deployment abilities would either be too short or too long for doing that.

One thing about the Elves. I wasn't planning on making them based around stealth, that's more so reserved for the Dark Elves. The Elves will however use trees to their advantage, giving them an edge when it comes to ambushing. Unless someone knows a trigger for making it that a unit can only use Hide when near trees, that won't be a possibility either.

One note about the Demons. I am slowly making progress with them, but as slow as I may be in doing so, I am finally happy about where they are going as a race. Hopefully I will soon have further ideas about them (as I still require more units), but so far I have enough to keep me busy with them planned out already. Soon, I hope to post a list of the units and the roles they play.

Level 35
True, although I hav none at the moment and I suppose I'd just include it as a ranged unit rather than give it the honour of a class of its own :p

Em! likes to ignore ranged cavalry? Hm... I suppose in his latest Godfall maps he has neglected them thus far, although they aren't entirely essenial for every army to have :p

Level 35
UPDATE: I have completed the base ideas for the Demon units, and am now posting them with a short description of what they do and how they function.

Imps
Role: Special
Squad Size: 8
Description: These units are the weakest statistically of all the Demon units, but possess a range of abilities that makes them a terror on the battlefield. They are able to Teleport into position, alternate between a physical melee attack and a ranged magic attack, and either have a chance to evade an attack altogether or possess an ability based on Phase Shift (while I would like Phase Shift, there are some small minor complications with having that with Teleport in terms of the squad system).

Pit Fiends
Role: Infantry
Squad Size: 8
Description: The core unit of the Demon race, the majority of their army is filled with these Pit Fiends. While they do not possess the best stats out of all the other Infantry units, they come in masses of numbers. As for abilities, I have not thought of any yet, but may leave them without any abilities altogether (apart from a stat boost from a certain Leader unit or something).

Hell Hounds
Role: Cavalry
Squad Size: 5
Description: A hard hitting and ultimately cheap cavalry squad, the Hell Hounds can cause a lot of damage in a matter of seconds. No abilities have been decided on yet.

Chaos Spawns
Role: Heavy Infantry
Squad Size: 4
Description: Powerful Demons which can wreak havoc in the frontlines, Chaos Spawns are feared for a reason. Although no abilities have been decided on yet, I was thinking of adding a random attack ability feature where their attacks have a different effect. Still undecided, though.

Incubi
Role: Caster
Squad Size: n/a
Description: Powerful Demon casters, possess an array of damaging spells to cause chaos. No abilities have been decided yet.

Succubi
Role: Flyer
Squad Size: 6/8 (tba)
Description: The Succubus is one of those few flying units that can be targetted by ground units. This is because although they are able to fly over obstacles, they prefer to attack their victims up close where they can drain the life essence of their victim. Their only decided ability is the Drain Life ability (which occurs on melee attacks).

Infernal Engine
Role: Artillery
Squad Size: 5
Description: While the Infernal Engine is not really an artillery unit, the reason it retains that class is because it is mechanical and deals siege damage (the only damage type that can not be defended against via armor or magic resistance upgrades). Spews flames out against enemy units, causing massive damage. Comes with 4 Pit Fiends (hence the Squad Size). Ability is still undecided.

Greater Demon (name is susceptible to change)
Role: Heavy Infantry
Squad Size: n/a
Description: A bad ass Demon with a bad ass attitude. Capable of wreaking havoc against smaller foes by the masses. Incredibly powerful, but also incredibly expensive (compared to most other units/unit squads). Abilties are yet to be decided.

...and that is it for now. They're still a WIP, though :p

Level 35
I'm liking these suggestions very much, GhostThruster, thankyou :D

Btw, I'm thinking of making the Greater Demon a Leader unit rather than a regular unit now. I'll think of another unit to complete the Demon ranks, but as for now I'm not too sure.

Also, here's the idea I've got for the first Leader unit I'm going to have:

It will most likely be called a Slavemaster, and you are able to get a maximum of 3 of these leader units. While in the Deployment Phase, you will be allowed to add this leader unit to any Pit Fiend squad that does not already have a Slavemaster attached to it. Doing so gives the attached Pit Fiend squad a bonus in stats (most likely in the damage and attack speed areas).

Level 35
I do prefer to get the difficult part of things out the way first if I am able to do so, and seeing as how I'm able to make a choice out of the two, I would pick the difficult one. Although, my ideas for the Undead aren't difficult at all. The main thing about them is that they won't be effected by certain spells, like ones based on Poison, Cursing and such. But that's easily fixed by a simple unit classification ;)

No probs bro. I'm just in love with W3 maps that have squads/armies.

Maybe the Slavemaster can have an ability called something like Cruel Servitude that when activated, constantly decreases the hp of all of his squad memebers (apart from himself) but also increases their attack and move speed.

It is better to start on the easy ones and get them finished. e.g. In a test, you are stuck on a question (44x32-909+(3452345345[34x122])/2d. Your friends insist you skip that one and do easier ones, however you do not listen. Just before the test finishes, you complete the question, but your friends have finished 10x the amount of your answered questions. Slight exaggerations and irrelevant comparison, but you should get the idea.

Level 35
Ah, but in a test there is a certain time limit, a thing that I am not bound by. Additionally, I personally believe the Undead will be easy to do, as I have already planned out the majority of the races. The Elves are also somewhat easy (although coming up with leaders may be somewhat difficult), but their special unit, the Dryad, is going to have some unique factors that will require some more thinking about in order to implement.

As for the Undead, I'm thinking of making the Necromancer their Special unit as opposed to their Caster unit (the Undead will do without a caster unit class) because of their racial ability (which, although it is easy to think of what it will be and possibly predict what the ability is, I will still announce later as the race is upon completion). Also, one thing that I'm not sure whether or not I announced yet is that the Undead will have an Egyptan theme.

Also, one thing I would like to say is that I am getting into modding again (like, doing more than I have been), so hopefully after I've done the 2 races, it won't be long before I do the other one I postponed.

Okay, I think we've covered the 'difficulty' issue of the choice between which race I will do first, what other issues are there to cover?

Level 35
Well, I discussed your idea of a tree-hugging Undead race with a close friend of mine, and both he and I came to the same conclusion - we want to know where you get whatever it is you're smoking, as it is obviously very powerful :p

No offense, but the idea of tree-worshipping Undead makes my skin crawl almost as much as it crawls when someone's grandmother decides to show off their Brazilian in public.

Although the Egyptian theme may be a little too Warhammer-esque, I want to apply the theme of a country to most (if not all) of the races, and there's a lot of Egyptian-themed Undead models available, making the idea a definite possibility. Additionally, when I think about ancient civilizations and so forth, the Egyptians immediately spring to mind when you think of who worshipped the dead the most.

Oh, and I never knew that there was an Egyptian-themed Undead race in Warhammer until after I decided to do the theme lol, I found that to be interesting :D

Dude, even my school test comparison was more relevant than grandma's Brazillians. I puff no stuff, said 'nuff. But think about it; forests, and all treeness has to do with regeneration, and well Dark Elves are called DARK Elves for a reason, however if you still think I'm high and the idea is whacky, don't go for it. The Egyptian Undead are called Tomb Kinds btw.

Level 35
Well, it is Elves that I'm doing first, not Dark Elves, and the Dark Elves aren't tree-worshipping, that's the Elves. The Dark Elves are more so your Amazonian Matriarchal society with themes of slavery and opression (opression towards the slaves and male Dark Elves). The theme itself is inspired by the Dark Elf theme of the Age of Wonders series.

As for the Undead and trees being related via regeneration, that's kind of a weak link there, soz. The Undead may regenerate their units, but that's more so a theme of resurrection. Perhaps a more accurate term would be reanimation. The Undead are sort of mainly based around death and decay. As for the trees being based around regeneration, they won't really be in this mod. Rather, the Elves worshipping the trees means that they sing to them and stuff to build their cities and fill their ranks with treemen and such.

Oh, btw, there's going to be back stories (essentially lore) to each race, all based around how they came to the island known as Rahgaer. I'll post the original idea for the great battle here:

The Humans have always had trouble with the Orcs, but for the first time in ages, they were under heavy assault by these barbaric savages. Wave after wave of Goblins came down on the Human capital, making it exceedingly difficult for the Humans to defend. However, the Humans came out victorious. Learning that the leader of the attack was a Goblin Chieftain named Erog, the Human Captain Amandio decided to pursue Erog to exact revenge on behalf of the Human race, and to ensure that the Orc tribes knew where they stood.

After many weeks of pursuing Erog, the Humans finally caught up to him resting at an Orc outpost. This outpost was defended by many Orc warriors, but eventually the Humans overran them. As Amandio was about to slay Erog, the defeated Goblin laughed at him, saying how he was simply a pawn in a much larger game. So, instead of slaying Erog where he stood, Amandio held him captive and travelled back towards the Human capital. Along the way, a small Orc ambush ensured that Erog was able to escape, angering Amandio that his pursuit of the Goblin Chieftain had been all for nothing. The only thing that kept him going now was the idea of returning to his home town.

However, this idea was soon ruined, for once they finally returned to their capital, Amandio found it overrun by Orcs and Goblins. Their pursuit of Erog had left their capital vulnerable to a much larger attack. Bodes of innocent men, women and childre alike were stacked up to the skies and set alight. The Human race had lost all hope. Amandio was crushed.

There were not many Human villagers nearby, but Amandio rallied all he could to join him on a voyage to an unknown land. This land was called 'Rahgaer' by the Elves. Unfortunately, the Orc Tribes were not about to let the Humans get away so easily, so they spent the next few monthes rallying all of their Tribes to pursue the Humans on a similar voyage.

When the Humans reached the land, they found that Elves already inhabited the island and were not willing to share it with anyone. After a long and wasteful battle, the Humans managed to push the Elves from their home, slaying all they could find. The Elves, caught unaware by the Human invaders, fled from their homes back to their capital. Some, however, stayed in hiding, swearing revenge on the Humans. These Elves would become the Dark Elves, embracing the darkness and creating a citadel of cruetly and torture.

...and that's all I have for now :p

Level 35
Well, Orcs in this are a barbaric race, but they are not evil. They just don't like the Humans at all. However, I'm not doing the Orcs like how they're done in Warcraft, rather that they do have a natural passion for war and hence why they love the Humans so much - they put up a fight every time they start a battle with them. But they are not evil, just blood thirsty :p

Actually, I don't think that there is any 'good' or 'evil' as it were in this mod. Rather, each race is in it for itself. That is to say, the Orcs just love to fight, the Humans are self-righteous, the Undead are just trying to erradicate all forms of life (srsly, guys, give them a break. Just because they're genocidal doesn't mean they're all bad! :p), Demons are actually just a race that hasn't been in contact with any of the other races aside from what they've silently observed and therefore views them as evil... the list goes on :p

And yes. The Dark Elves are feminists. Therefore, they are the only truly 'evil' race in the game :p

Well, it's not so much that they're feminist (the term feminist refers to women who demand more independence, yet aren't entirely clear as to what they actually want from a particular circumstance, ending in confusion and occasionally suicide on any nearby males) as opposed to the Dark Elves are sort of SM. Despite the sexual termonology there, that is probably the best way to describe it. After all, the women in Dark Elf society are highly dominant over the males and they get pleasure out of torturing prisoners and such... just not in a sexual way so much as a twisted and demented way.

But alas, the Dark Elves used to be regular Elves, and were only made like that because of a Human invasion that slayed millions. So, the question remains, are the Dark Elves any more evil than the Humans? That is what I mean by there being no strict 'good' or 'evil' races in my mod. Undead are prlly the only exception :p

Level 35
Never had High Elves, only Elves (which are essentially Wood Elves, but calling them Elves alone allows them to be a little divine). Also, I don't recall mentioning the 'greater good' at all. However, if I were to use the greater good ideal on a race, it would be more so for what appeased themselves the most. The message that I'm trying to convey with all the races is that when it comes to war, it's every race for itself. There is no good, no evil, only selfishness. No race serves a greater cause than the other, only their needs and the needs of their own 'gods' (the 'gods' are similar to that of rl beliefs in that everyone has different ideas of religion and stuff). Sort of a gothic atmosphere that many RTS games lack :p

Level 35
Perfectly alright, it helps to talk it out as well, btw, so we can all get the basic ideas straight and sorted out ;)

Btw, I'm encounering a little bit of difficulty with the Demon race in terms of inspiration for abilities (both the Orcs and Humans were planned out before I made them), so they'll be coming quite a bit later than I had hoped. I'll keep you all posted on this thread, tho ;)

Level 35
~Bump~

Okay, I have been inactive on this project for quite some time, but hope to make a return to it soon enough :3

Now, the Demons are pretty much simply requiring abilities and a decent anti-air unit/ability, so they will be the first to be completed hopefully. If I get stuck for ideas on them, though, I will begin to make further progress on the Undead.

Also, I'm thinking of a possible campaign for this project. When I say possible, I mean I have ideas and all that for the campaign that would make it good/great/wonderful, but it's all a matter of:

A) Do I have enough time?
B) Can I be bothered?

As for having enough time, I should have more than enough atm to work on the races themselves, so only option B is factoring into that atm. However, soon enough I will make my return to my studious ways, enjoying the tavern atmosphere while discussing Chemistry and the art of pool.

Anyway, my inactivity on this thread has been partially because of a certain lack of people leaving comments here, so please, comment away! I would really like some more feedback. Some possible suggestions for additional gameplay modes wouldn't go unnoticed, either ;)

Level 35
lol, the uni tavern is the place to be :p

Well, I'm currently working on the Undead race (gave Demons a break for reasons mentioned above), and I'm so far feeling content with where they're heading. After I've tweaked a few things, I'll send you an alpha that will both demonstrate the Undead units as well as show off the few Demon units that I am happy with :p

Well, the main thing about the campaigns would be that I'd need some basic form of AI, and even then the campaigns would prlly be rather boring -.-
So, campaigns will most likely not be done, but if I were to do them, I'd make them single-player compatible ;)

So, you decided what country the undead is based on? For a map like this, with trigger-made squads, you can't make AI unless they are just spawning AIs (every 10 sec, create 6 Footmen and order Attack-Move blah blah). But what you can do is, if you or you know a person who can make models, make a model of a squad, with multiple members, so a model will have like 6 units, instead of using multiple units. And you can use the Locust ability to duplicate units.

Status
Not open for further replies.